News Flash: Best Commuter Bike Ever!

Old April 4th 14, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default News Flash: Best Commuter Bike Ever!

More weirdness from PDX: http://www.kgw.com/news/PDX-team-wor...253664511.html

When I saw this story last night on the news, I laughed so hard that I almost shot my dinner out my nose. Fenders . .. a rack . . . who would have ever thought of that? I was thinking of sending them a link to this: http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1960.html Do it in Ti.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 4th 14, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

"It's a obviously a city where you can cycle 365 days a year," noted Jess Putterman, design program manger at Industry. "And we want to make that possible for people by designing a bike that really optimizes that."

http://goo.gl/3WCmi6
Old April 4th 14, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/3/2014 4:53 PM, jbeattie wrote:
More weirdness from PDX: http://www.kgw.com/news/PDX-team-wor...253664511.html

When I saw this story last night on the news, I laughed so hard that I almost shot my dinner out my nose. Fenders . .. a rack . . . who would have ever thought of that? I was thinking of sending them a link to this: http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1960.html Do it in Ti.

I recently visited the headquarters of a large bicycle manufacturer. I
inquired about dynamo-equipped bicycles and they explained that they
sold many such models in Europe as commute bicycles. Actually they did
try selling one in the U.S. maybe six years ago, without success; it
also had fenders and a rack as standard equipment.

You'd think that dynamos would be making a bit of a comeback simply
because of stuff like electronic shifting, but apparently batteries are
acceptable
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/08/10/ultegra-di2-electronic-shifting-ride-review-video-tech-report/.

I think that the issue is that there's not a lot of money to be made in
commute bicycles that cost $400-800 so neither the manufacturers nor the
shops want to put much effort into it, especially if the sale of an $800
commute bicycle is instead of a $4000 CF bicycle. They're happy to have
Bikesdirect sell someone a $300 Dutch-like commuter
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/images/dutch_gray_men_2100.jpg
just to keep the cheapskate from taking up the time of a salesperson.
Old April 5th 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

come fall we will see various fitments surrounding the Copenhagen Wheel.

Ima YZ commuter....prob Beattie as well...The Dutch Syndrome is holed.

but there's no reason to not bolt a CW onto YZ bikes. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
Old April 6th 14, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:53:40 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
More weirdness from PDX: http://www.kgw.com/news/PDX-team-wor...253664511.html

When I saw this story last night on the news, I laughed so hard that I almost shot my dinner out my nose. Fenders . .. a rack . . . who would have ever thought of that? I was thinking of sending them a link to this: http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1960.html Do it in Ti.

Is "urban utility" the same thing as "commuting"? Well, okay. If
it gets more people riding, cool beans.

Old April 8th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:08:51 AM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
On Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:53:40 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

More weirdness from PDX: http://www.kgw.com/news/PDX-team-wor...253664511.html

When I saw this story last night on the news, I laughed so hard that I almost shot my dinner out my nose. Fenders . .. a rack . . . who would have ever thought of that? I was thinking of sending them a link to this: http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1960.html Do it in Ti.

Is "urban utility" the same thing as "commuting"? Well, okay. If

it gets more people riding, cool beans.

Wuz visiting the crust today where the med center's bike rack holds only nice clean seemingly weel maintained upright, seat post raked back uprights. Uh yeah the people there see themselves as what ?

http://www.bikesfortherestofus.com/2...1_archive.html

News Flash! Scott Racing 33 June 26th 10 03:30 PM
Liz Hatch News Flash Fred Lee Racing 2 November 18th 09 01:26 AM
Liz Hatch News Flash Scott Racing 0 November 17th 09 03:37 AM
UCI News Flash Joe King Racing 2 July 10th 06 01:08 AM
News Flash: GTs FO ProTour Ken Prager Racing 0 December 9th 05 08:45 PM