559 is dead?

Old April 18th 16, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default 559 is dead?

wrote:

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 9:58:41 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 8:20:11 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
who knew?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...dated-spline-o
ne-mtb-wheel-range-details-spec-pricing-46735/

There are still some cruiser bikes using 559, but even stores like
Walmart are selling mostly 27.5" and 29" mountain bikes.

When Huffy and Roadmaster moved to 27.5 and 29 it was pretty clear that
559 was over.

It was surprising to me when looking for a mountain bike for the spousal
unit how few 559 models were still available. The ones that I saw were
the very very low end department store models, or entry level bike shop
bikes.

After you've ridden a 29" offroad there isn't any question about how
superior it is to a 26". And the 27,5" is good for shorter riders.

comparing like to like? I mean I have a 29er fairly new FS MTB, compared
to my old 26in Hardtail yes it's a far better machine but was more
expensive and technology has moved on massivly.

riding with others, with 27.5 etc the differences seem fairly mild, to be
honest mostly due to riders skill/fitness than the tech.

Roger

What I meant is that similar machines with either 26" or 29" wheels the
difference is immediately detectable since the 29er will roll over
terrain that the 26er would strike and stop on. Frankly I was rather
awestruck if I might use a term that I do not care for.

None of this was due to superior suspension or full suspension vs.
hardtails. It is simply a case of a larger diameter tire rolling over
rough terrain very much easier.

I never noticed much differnce, or rather was mild though the old 26in
in it's orginal MTB use I had fitted it with DH/Endro tyres so rolled
well over objects on the whole. though where rather slow rolling.

27.5 + tyres should be about the same size as a 29er though have to say
most i've seen in the flesh so far have looked thiner than the Hans I
have on my MTB (29er)

Roger Merriman
Old April 20th 16, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Because of the concussion I sustained my memory isn't what it should be. However I seem to remember fitting V-brakes to a drop bar touring bike with brifters on it.

Someplace else I've seen it noted that you have to use MTB levers to use V-brakes.

And anyone clarify that for me? The Ridley cross bike I have is perfect in every respect except the hand pressure required to go down very steep drops at a controllable speed. A mile and a half of 10% leaves me almost crippled.

I presently have Shimano cantilevers on it.
Old April 20th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Roger - most of the 27.5's I've seen have been fatter. So it might only be a regional thing.
Old April 20th 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yes, the specified cable travel is different between
sidepull/centerpull/cantilever (less travel) and linear V
brake (more travel) [1]

There are cable travel adapter units (a two-step pulley
system) for linear brakes with standard levers, not too
expensive. These are straightforward to set up, well
developed (not new), standard equipment on Santana tandems
for example. I think that may be what you want here.

Cantilever cable travel (leverage) as Frank noted earlier
may be slightly increased or decreased by changing
transverse wire length up or down from the recommended
"90-degrees when pads touch" standard setup. That may be
helpful to you, not sure how much is enough.

[1] Mafac systems required slightly more cable travel than
other brands but they closed long ago the rest as a group
are all quite similar.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 20th 16, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Frank would love this: http://www.circleacycles.com/cantile...i-geometry.pdf It's Greek to me, although I probably understand more Greek. I do know that I was never able to get my Shimano or Paul NeoRetros to work all that well with STI levers -- nor could some of my buddies who rode cyclocross. I tried a lot of different configurations with the straddle cable (including a longer carrier) which helped a little. I'm glad those days are behind me.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 20th 16, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

My Campy Mirage 2001 9-speed Ergos work very well with my cantilever brakes on my touring bike. so much so, that I'd like to get another pair for my dropbar MTB.

Cheers
Old April 21st 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/20/2016 2:30 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Frank would love this: http://www.circleacycles.com/cantile...i-geometry.pdf

I do like it a lot!

In all my years of teaching, I focused on problems and projects more
related to industrial practice. (For example, in my robotics class,
teams of students had to design, build, program and fully document an
actual, working robotic workcell, using our industrial robots.)

But one year when I was close to retirement, I had one small class with
all strong students. I decided to have a little fun, and assigned them
a bunch of short bike-related projects. I think we all enjoyed them.

Another time, a student approached me and asked for permission to do
extra projects for advanced credit in a Mechanics class. So, I assigned
him a study of mechanical advantage of various bicycle brakes.

He was a very sharp kid, but he was working nearly full time, and never
had time to complete the extra projects. Too bad! He'd have produced
something like the canti geometry paper.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 21st 16, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 4/2/2016 2:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I had 7sp Ergo levers (Sachs first version of the Ergos) on my tandem with Scott SE and later a Paul NeoRetro rear, and they worked O.K. -- except for rim heating on long downhills, which is a problem with any rim brake. I haven't run this to ground, but it is probably the case that the two levers pull different amounts of cable and behave differently with cantis. I will defer to someone who knows.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 21st 16, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/20/2016 10:35 PM, jbeattie wrote:
... I will defer to someone who knows.

sigh Another Usenet tradition bites the dust!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 16, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

wrote:

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 3:48:55 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:

large snips

I never noticed much differnce, or rather was mild though the old 26in
in it's orginal MTB use I had fitted it with DH/Endro tyres so rolled
well over objects on the whole. though where rather slow rolling.

27.5 + tyres should be about the same size as a 29er though have to say
most i've seen in the flesh so far have looked thiner than the Hans I
have on my MTB (29er)

Roger Merriman

Roger - most of the 27.5's I've seen have been fatter. So it might only be
a regional thing.

the ones I had seen had been a bit undersized, though the 27.5+ Nobbly
Nics seem the full deal.

Roger Merriman

Is it dead yet? Sandy Techniques 7 February 20th 09 09:52 AM
Is it Dead? Frank Drackman Techniques 27 October 23rd 07 04:13 AM
AMB is DEAD! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 3 August 3rd 07 11:42 PM
A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet?????? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 329 March 5th 05 12:33 AM
I would be dead but for my... JohnB UK 5 June 6th 04 08:54 PM