WTF is with the spandex?

Old May 5th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
The jeans guy

Default WTF is with the spandex?

Still, there are those who are ignorant of the comfort improvement
that comes from bike clothes, especially on long or hard rides.
They're ignorant because they've never tried bike clothes. *And some
of the ignorant troll here.

I dunno about you, but I'm happy with what I'm wearing. As for the
latter part of that comment, sticks and stones.

I don't know why ignorance inspires confidence, but there's no denying
that it does!

- Frank Krygowski

Ah, but I'm not ignorant. I did try those clothes- not my cuppa tea.
But like I say, if you're happy with them, go right ahead.

Old May 6th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Andrew Price writes:
On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:56:03 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

[---]

As for the more garish versions (i.e: jerseys with 7-Eleven,
Volkswagen, &c logos splattered all over them -- some people
prefer more subdued stuff. And some people just don't
wanna be human billboards.

You don't have to - plain bike clothing is available most everywhere.
I'd be very surprised if you can't find it in Vancouver, as some of it
(e.g. Pearl Izumi) comes from North America.

Well, as I noted further downthread, the plain-jane stuff
is available, but I find it rather dowdy and drab.
So there's our spectrum of choices: ultra-garish or
infra-drab.

For example, I have a long-sleeved jersey from
Mountain Equipment Co-op; it's battleship grey.

I'd just like to see a happy medium. Argyle jerseys
might be nice. Or the right kind of plaid.

To be honest, we have some local designers proffering
some nice wares, although they largely cater to the
freeride/trials/downhill-oriented customers.

And it can be fun (if one has the time) to cruise
the thrift shops for non-cycling-specific clothing
that nevertheless elegantly suits cycling purposes
while appealing to one's aesthetics.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 6th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Price writes:
On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:56:03 -0700,
(Tom Keats)
wrote:

[---]

As for the more garish versions (i.e: jerseys with 7-Eleven,
Volkswagen, &c logos splattered all over them -- some people
prefer more subdued stuff. And some people just don't
wanna be human billboards.

You don't have to - plain bike clothing is available most everywhere.
I'd be very surprised if you can't find it in Vancouver, as some of it
(e.g. Pearl Izumi) comes from North America.

Well, as I noted further downthread, the plain-jane stuff
is available, but I find it rather dowdy and drab.
So there's our spectrum of choices: ultra-garish or
infra-drab.

For example, I have a long-sleeved jersey from
Mountain Equipment Co-op; it's battleship grey.

I'd just like to see a happy medium. Argyle jerseys
might be nice. Or the right kind of plaid.

The truth is that you can just wear normal clothes. For the pants, I
bought a set of Daks wool dress pants from a thrift shop, then spent $25
having them hemmed up to breeches-length (more or less a plus-two cut)
with an elastic cuff. The result is a set of pants that looks
endearingly dandy and wears fairly well. I'm thinking of having some of
the leftover pant-cuff material stitched into the crotch area as a wear
pad. If you wear sober sox, it's a sober outfit. Red full-calf sox make
it a flamboyant outfit, and my beloved full-calf red-white-black argyle
socks are juuuust right.

For the tops, the reality is that normal clothes work. I'd consider some
of the better modern polyester tops or golf shirts: they work well as
sporting garments that don't look absurd. For an old-school look, hit
the thrift shops and wear anything that isn't cotton.

As for jerseys, the feature they add is pockets at the back. If you're
wedded to that concept (overkill, even in my usually spandex-clad
opinion, unless you're riding for speed or with the intention of not
stopping very often; everyone else can carry their stuff in a tailbag or
a bar bag or a bento box or in other pockets), you can have them
stitched in. If not, just wear any top. Lots of nice wool and poly tops
out there. I like to wear a sleeveless poly top under my wool to reduce
itching and irritation.

If you can't give up the back pockets, a good trick is to wear a
conventional jersey underneath your main top. You can then just pull the
back of your top up a bit to get access to the pocketed undershirt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9249415...7613719136895/

Ride bike! Wear funny hat!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9249415...-7215761371913
6895/

2nd from left. I want that to be my next team kit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sashae/2487740965/

Serse and Fausto Coppi out for a winter training ride. Perfect in every
detail.

Old May 6th 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
The truth is that you can just wear normal clothes. For the pants, I
bought a set of Daks wool dress pants from a thrift shop, then spent $25
having them hemmed up to breeches-length (more or less a plus-two cut)
with an elastic cuff. The result is a set of pants that looks
endearingly dandy and wears fairly well. I'm thinking of having some of
the leftover pant-cuff material stitched into the crotch area as a wear
pad.

Ryan! Brilliant! I know what I'm doing this weekend.
-paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old May 6th 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

The jeans guy wrote:
On May 4, 4:34 pm, Tom_Sherman
wrote:
"The jeans guy" Top Posted:

You haters need to get out and ride your bikes more.
Oh, and Salt N Peppa called, and they want their wardrobe back.

Cool. Althought jeans aren't that great of an option in the heat, I
have always found that regular old khaki shorts are. I think roadies
are just way overdoing it with all of their gear. No need for all
that unless you're going 100K.

L.L. Bean called... Anyway, I take your point, but, in my experience,
bottoms are a problem, most conventional pants or shorts chafe me raw in
surprisingly few miles. I think wearing light shorts (without bulky
seams) over a pair of thin cycle shorts works ok in all but the hottest
weather. I'm still partial to black, stained too many light garments.

My point was initially the look and the awfulness of it all. I really
do not see the need in this city (Vancouver). Also, it's better if
you can actually enjoy the ride and take some time doing it rather
than racing all over trying to get to work or whatever. I just really
think everyone just needs to slow down. But that's for another
thread.

Amen. Last year my wife was knocked down by some nimrod in full kit --
on a rec path loaded with peds & women pushing strollers.
Old May 6th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_15_]

Peter Cole wrote:
::
:: Amen. Last year my wife was knocked down by some nimrod in full kit
:: -- on a rec path loaded with peds & women pushing strollers.

IIRC, Nimrod was an hunter. Did he put an arrow into her?

Old May 6th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 6, 1:48*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9249415...7613719136895/

Ride bike! Wear funny hat!

I really do like the tweed caps. I've got to find one of those.

I assume they're all CPSC approved, right? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Question on wearing Spandex Daryl Hunt General 21 June 18th 07 07:42 PM
Spandex for Men LOL BigRab UK 8 July 17th 06 10:14 AM
Non-spandex bike shorts? Joe S. General 18 August 18th 05 03:00 PM
Spandex brucianna General 6 July 7th 05 04:28 PM
Candidate for congress in spandex? Claire Petersky General 3 September 28th 04 10:13 PM