Toe clips for SP 153 "platform" pedals

Old March 26th 14, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Toe clips for SP 153 "platform" pedals

I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage, it's a platform. The holes to attach toe clips are horizontal, and a bit further out from the axle than where a vertical cage bar would be.

This is the only pic I could find: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-SR-Sa...-/380818284414

I can think of a couple of ways to adapt regular toe clips to these, but I wonder if anyone knows of a source for the proper toe clips for these pedals.

Thanks!
Old March 26th 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/26/2014 5:17 PM, wrote:
I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage, it's a platform. The holes to attach toe clips are horizontal, and a bit further out from the axle than where a vertical cage bar would be.

This is the only pic I could find:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-SR-Sa...-/380818284414

I can think of a couple of ways to adapt regular toe clips to these, but I wonder if anyone knows of a source for the proper toe clips for these pedals.

There are similar vintage toeclips which could probably be
modified to fit, but not for what modern pedals and a set of
toeclips costs (even if you value your time at a small
rate). There were several similar attempts like yours in the
era, Campagnolo and Shimano being relatively available and
all the others relatively not.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 26th 14, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.ebay.ie/itm//191071329765

Old March 27th 14, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/26/2014 5:17 PM, wrote:
I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage, it's a platform. The holes to attach toe clips are horizontal, and a bit further out from the axle than where a vertical cage bar would be.

This is the only pic I could find:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-SR-Sa...-/380818284414

I can think of a couple of ways to adapt regular toe clips to these, but I wonder if anyone knows of a source for the proper toe clips for these pedals.

Thanks!

The Shimano toeclips linked in another person's reply will
take some folding and cutting to fit your pedals.

Old March 27th 14, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:50:33 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/26/2014 5:17 PM, Ed wrote:

I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage, it's a platform. The holes to attach toe clips are horizontal, and a bit further out from the axle than where a vertical cage bar would be.

This is the only pic I could find: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-SR-Sa...-/380818284414

I can think of a couple of ways to adapt regular toe clips to these, but I wonder if anyone knows of a source for the proper toe clips for these pedals.

There are similar vintage toeclips which could probably be
modified to fit, but not for what modern pedals and a set of
toeclips costs (even if you value your time at a small
rate). There were several similar attempts like yours in the
era, Campagnolo and Shimano being relatively available and
all the others relatively not.

Ha yes, one bike shop said "get new pedals", while at Mountain Equipment Coop the guy said "boy these are good quality bearings".

I think I can adapt existing toe clips, so I'll give it a try. Wellgo has some "XL" metal clips which may give me the reach, the question is how to find.