cycling in Beloit

Old May 9th 16, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default cycling in Beloit

On Mon, 9 May 2016 15:35:19 +1000, James
wrote:

On 09/05/16 11:36, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 12:58:23 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Not only that but I came across a site discussing whether crawling
babies need to wear helmets. An excerpt reads, "Before it sounds like
I'm mocking parents who choose to use protective headgear during the
toddling and crawling stages, I'll admit I can see the allure."

The mind boggles!

It's nothing new. Google "pudding cap".

I wonder whether having bump protection at such an early age results in
a clumsy approach to physical activity? Maybe this continues later in life?

I'm not sure about clumsiness but I'm sure that it increases timidness
and undoubtedly results in the "You Gotta Wear a Helmet" syndrome.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 9th 16, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Not only that but I came across a site discussing whether crawling
babies need to wear helmets. An excerpt reads, "Before it sounds like
I'm mocking parents who choose to use protective headgear during the
toddling and crawling stages, I'll admit I can see the allure."

The mind boggles!

It's nothing new. Google "pudding cap".

I wonder whether having bump protection at such an early age results in
a clumsy approach to physical activity? Maybe this continues later in life?

I'm not sure about clumsiness but I'm sure that it increases timidness
and undoubtedly results in the "You Gotta Wear a Helmet" syndrome.

No, wearing a helmet would result in risk compensation and engaging in dangerous behaviors, like jumping off the roof.

And if the pedestrian lady had been wearing a helmet, the bicyclist would have passed even closer -- riding directly over her. It has been proved that wearing a helmet causes close passing.

Helmets give you ninja-like skills! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyyGlIHcpaQ

-- Jay Beattie
Old May 9th 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/9/2016 12:20 PM, jbeattie wrote:

No, wearing a helmet would result in risk compensation and engaging in dangerous behaviors, like jumping off the roof.

And if the pedestrian lady had been wearing a helmet, the bicyclist would have passed even closer -- riding directly over her. It has been proved that wearing a helmet causes close passing.

Helmets give you ninja-like skills! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyyGlIHcpaQ

You're correct. Lately I've seen a bunch of babies with helmets and
they've been doing some crazy things.

One three month old was skateboarding down the sidewalk in front of my
house, on a long board, being pulled by a Golden Retriever. There was a
six month old doing the double black diamond runs at Mount Bachelor in
Oregon. I was going to ask her where her parent were but I could not
catch her. Most shocking was the one, who could not have been more than
a week old, doing gardening. I asked her father why she was out there
with a shovel and a hoe, and he assured me that because of her FK
certified gardening helmet, she was perfectly safe.

Without those helmets they would never have been engaging in these
activities.

Old May 10th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 9 May 2016 13:56:49 -0700, sms
wrote:

[...]

One might speculate on how many toddlers have been saved by wearing a
helmet. Say world wide, for the last 100 years.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 10th 16, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2016 9:41 PM, John B. wrote:

One might speculate on how many toddlers have been saved by wearing a
helmet. Say world wide, for the last 100 years.

One family I know has a little kid, 4 or 5 years old, who's athletic and
absolutely fearless, and so are the parents. Example: From a very
young age (2 or 3?) the kid loved endlessly jumping down the staircase
in the house, from the third step, then the fourth, then the fifth. At
that point, the parents didn't say "Stop it, you might hit your head on
that wall." Instead they piled pillows at the bottom, so he could jump
from the sixth and seventh step. And that's just one example of his
nervy behavior.

Wear a helmet for that stuff? Never a thought.

But despite the lack of any such law in our state, the little guy is
never allowed on his own little two wheeler or in his parent's bike kid
seat without a helmet.

In other words, diving down a staircase toward an indoor wall is pretty
safe. Riding a bike? That's dangerous.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I wonder whether having bump protection at such an early age results in
a clumsy approach to physical activity? Maybe this continues later in life?

I'm not sure about clumsiness but I'm sure that it increases timidness
and undoubtedly results in the "You Gotta Wear a Helmet" syndrome.

No, wearing a helmet would result in risk compensation and engaging in dangerous behaviors, like jumping off the roof.

I'm sure I described, long ago, riding home from work and passing a
house where a young kid, maybe 8 years old, was on a picnic table with a
push scooter. He'd propped an 8 foot long 2x10 (approximate dimensions,
of course) on the edge of the table to form a ramp. The low end of the
2x10 was butted up against the wall of the house.

As I watched, he put his scooter on the board and coasted down the
board. Of course, he smacked into the wall of the house at full speed.
And of course, he was wearing a helmet.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 9 May 2016 22:34:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/9/2016 9:41 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, perhaps, I grew up in a small town in Northern New
England long before helmets became popular. People used to go hunting,
with dangerous firearms, people used to go swimming without a life
guard, people used to jump off high hills with skis on.

And you know? The only person I remember getting hurt was the cousin
of one of my mates who broke a leg, in several places.... competing in
New England High School Ski Jumping Event. An established and well
monitored event that ensured that the competitors complied with all
the policies and regulations.

Strange isn't it. Here we all are running around like a bunch of wild
men and the only guy that gets hurt is the one guy doing the right
thing.
--
cheers,

John B.