Carrying tools

Old October 23rd 17, 08:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Carrying tools

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 9:23:05 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 13:22:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I ride with one bottle 99% of the time. Don't see the point of carrying the extra weight. Where I ride its rarely more than 10 miles between towns where its easy to get water or drinks. Why carry extra weight for nothing? Maybe all the pros like you ride in the middle of nowhere and its 100 miles between water.

All our parks departments have a fetish for turning off water
fountains. When I checked to see whether the only remaining fountain
at the CCAC had been turned off for the winter, I found a bare pipe
sticking up out of the ground -- both the fountain and the faucet
under it had been removed.

I confidently rode to Pierceton with only enough water for one way,
only to find that the only water fountain in town was out of order.
When I asked, I was told that it had been turned off for the winter
the previous fall, and nobody had seen fit to turn it on in the
spring. Fortunately, I'd come to attend a festival, and was able to
buy a bottle of water from the Lions.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

goo.gl/jjfjkh

goo.gl/bYmcsi

hard finding road water coming down toward Utah. Lotta sun no outside water..

Dry,always disappointing. Love those pipe latch lever rigs.
Old October 23rd 17, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6357064.html

goo.gl/t58aL6
Old October 23rd 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Being the Huffington Post I'm surprised that they didn't blame the cholera epidemic on Trump.
Old October 23rd 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

I don't find a lot of public water fountains any more. In the summer
time cemeteries are the most reliable source of running water,
firehouses and water pumping stations are also good prospects. Churches
are frequently watered by volunteers, so the hose bibs are easy to work.

Schools used to be good, now the tykes all seem to carry bottled water,
and wandering onto the grounds is likely to get one arrested. If I see
a person outside a house I don't mind asking for water, but sometimes
it's a long haul before that happens.

Old October 23rd 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

James writes:

On 21/10/17 01:04, Radey Shouman wrote:
James writes:

On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

How big? A 4 oz hammer would be very hard to pass up, a 40 oz hammer
hard to pick up.

If you have trouble picking up a 40oz hammer, you are much weaker than
most adults I would guess.

Damn, tough crowd here. I can certainly pick up, and even swing, a 40oz
hammer. I doubt I would want to schlep it 1000 miles on a bike, though.

Old October 24th 17, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:53:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 9:00:55 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 00:57:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

hard finding road water coming down toward Utah. Lotta sun no outside water.
Dry,always disappointing. Love those pipe latch lever rigs.

"WeTap Drinking Fountain Finder"
http://wetap.org
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wetap-drinking-fountain-finder/id903424762?mt=8

For unknown water sources, I have a TDS (total dissolved solids)
tester:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=TDS+tester
and a UV-C pen for bug killing:
https://www.rei.com/c/ultraviolet-water-purifiers
However, I usually don't bother carrying these on a ride unless I
expect to be drinking from surface water sources (lake, river, stream,
water trough, puddle, etc).

Where in the hell do you go where you're so far from clean water
that you have to do it yourself? There's a market at the top of
the Soquel Rd. There's Los Gatos on the other side of the Old
Santa Cruz Highway. There are several small places up and down Highway 1.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. On a bicycle, it's easy enough to carry
sufficient water which should last between pit stops. The water
testing and purification kit was for when I used to go hiking and
backpacking in the Sierras and the San Bernardino Mts. There was
plenty of ground water in spring and early summer. However, I can't
do that any more, so the kit sits on the shelf collecting dust.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old October 24th 17, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember water being available in Holy City from a faucet on
the building. Haven't been there in a long time.
Old October 24th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:33:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 10/23/2017 7:55 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. On a bicycle, it's easy enough to carry
sufficient water which should last between pit stops.

I seem to remember water being available in Holy City from a faucet on
the building. Haven't been there in a long time.

Holy City was sold about a year ago:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/08/18/los-gatos-what-will-become-of-holy-city-bought-by-billionaire-scientologist-bob-duggan/
No clue what the new owners are planning. I haven't been there for
probably 20 years and barely remember the place, much less where to
get rusty water on tap.

Bay area drinking water fountain map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Xoz9NCxDO32jY47cuqAt0tTUq7E&hl=en_US&l l=37.35367916803492%2C-122.21493832250019&z=11
I doesn't show a water tap at Holy City, but does show one at the
Redwood Estates Fire Dept at "A spigot with a hose at the fire station
across the street from the park".

The map includes the People's Republic of Santa Cruz, but is missing
some genuine water fountains in my favorite pit stops in Henry Cowell
Park, Roarding Camp, and smaller local parks. Looks like the map
accepts edits. I'll add some SLV and SCZ water stops as time permits.

Android app for water fountains:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bplaced.tapwater&hl=en

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Is NBC carrying the Giro??? Paul Kossa Racing 3 January 28th 09 04:29 PM
Carrying muni on mtb tobbogonist Unicycling 0 November 20th 07 11:10 AM
Carrying a laptop Chris[_3_] Australia 13 June 25th 07 12:12 PM
Carrying Chancock Unicycling 18 January 29th 07 02:27 PM
carrying stuff cathwood Unicycling 13 March 31st 05 05:59 PM