Halloween Critical Mass Pictures from New York City

Old October 30th 04, 04:07 AM
Don Wiss

Default Halloween Critical Mass Pictures from New York City

I was able to get a good bunch of pictures from the New York City monthly
Critical Mass. This is the annual Halloween one, and many people showed up
in costume. While I used an external flash, unfortunately I forgot to turn
off the internal one. So lots of red eye. But all-in-all the pictures are
pretty good.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old October 30th 04, 04:16 AM
Mister Max

Don Wiss posted:

I was able to get a good bunch of pictures from the New York City
monthly Critical Mass. This is the annual Halloween one, and many
people showed up in costume. While I used an external flash,
unfortunately I forgot to turn off the internal one. So lots of red
eye. But all-in-all the pictures are pretty good.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Red-eye is a great feature of
http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/h0024.htm
and also improves
http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/h0066.htm

- Max
--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/ -
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections
Old October 30th 04, 04:59 AM
Jer

Don Wiss wrote:

I was able to get a good bunch of pictures from the New York City monthly
Critical Mass. This is the annual Halloween one, and many people showed up
in costume. While I used an external flash, unfortunately I forgot to turn
off the internal one. So lots of red eye. But all-in-all the pictures are
pretty good.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Personally, I think the red eye situation is appropriate, considering
the occasion.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old October 30th 04, 07:36 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:59:42 -0500, Jer wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

I was able to get a good bunch of pictures from the New York City monthly
Critical Mass. This is the annual Halloween one, and many people showed up
in costume. While I used an external flash, unfortunately I forgot to turn
off the internal one. So lots of red eye. But all-in-all the pictures are
pretty good.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/HalloweenCM-2004/

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Personally, I think the red eye situation is appropriate, considering
the occasion.

I suppose this is a corny joke, but this being new york- does anyone
even notice these people?
Old October 30th 04, 08:14 PM
Jym Dyer

I suppose this is a corny joke, but this being new york-
does anyone even notice these people?

=v= People do notice us, even not in goofy costumes. We usually
get cheers from the folks on the sidewalks.

=v= In a city the size of New York, though, most people don't
notice us at all. Also, last week somebody ran a traffic model
to calculate the impact of the ride on traffic. Assuming a
2000-rider Critical Mass that never breaks up (more conservative
than what actually happens), the impact was calculated as being
a seven hundredths of one percent increase in traffic delays.

=v= Police harassment during and since the Republican National
Convention have made us more noticed, I'm afraid. The police
presence delays traffic, and we're in the news a lot.
_Jym_
Old October 30th 04, 09:23 PM
Don Wiss

On 30 Oct 2004 12:14:53 -0700, Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= Police harassment during and since the Republican National
Convention have made us more noticed, I'm afraid. The police
presence delays traffic, and we're in the news a lot.

Right now in the news almost daily. Today's:

33 Arrested in Mass Cyclist Demonstration
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/30/ny.../30cycles.html

Police critical of bikers - nab 33
http://nydailynews.com/front/story/247752p-212162c.html

Yesterday's:
Judge Refuses to Halt Mass Ride and Forbids Police to Seize Bicycles
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/29/nyregion/29bike.html

Day before yesterday:
Ruling Due in Effort by City to Restrict Mass Bicycle Rides
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/nyregion/28bike.html

Day before that:
New York, New Jersey and Connecticut
MANHATTAN: CITY WOULD REQUIRE PERMITS FOR BIKE EVENT
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/27/nyregion/27mbrfs.html

Then we skip a few days:
METROPOLITAN DESK | October 21, 2004, Thursday
Metro Briefing | New York: Manhattan: Police Sued Over Seizures Of Bicycles
[but this one is no longer free]

And there were 2000 on last night's ride, not the 1000 reported in the
media.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old October 30th 04, 09:36 PM
Karen M.

Don wrote:
I was able to get a good bunch of pictures from the New York City monthly
Critical Mass. This is the annual Halloween one, and many people showed up
in costume.

Can't quite tell what's going on...is the Hummer being refueled, or what?

--Karen M.
Old October 31st 04, 03:00 AM
Don Wiss

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Bob Harrington wrote:

Hmm... Seattle bicyclists don't need Hummers to mow down hapless
pedestrians - but probably serves me right for so callously walking on
the sidewalk... ;^)

No, not mow down pedestrians. He wants to stick it inside female
pedestrians. Sorry I wasn't clear about this. But look at it again.

Don donwiss at panix.com.