call of nature

Old June 10th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default call of nature

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
recycled wrote:

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

Depends on the mosquitoes (seriously).

Though we've been having wet summers I've never been that bothered by
mosquitos.

One trick if cover is sparse is
to "hide in plain sight" by prominently placing your bike on the other
side of the road. People naturally assume you're over there and often
don't even look at the other side even if you're in plain view, which,
I'll admit, isn't the best of situations.

Usually I walk in a ways but once last year I felt the need on a stretch of
road that was well grown over with foliage. The only problem was that the
ground was only euphemisticaly 'ground' in that it was a soggy marshy
wetland. The road seemed deserted until I got down to business and then the
road got as busy as the 401.

If you've lived in the city and are observant you'll see all kinds of
creative techniques for peeing in public without getting noticed. The
guiding principle is to not look like you're peeing.

People (and cops) aren't generally so offended by peeing as flagrant
peeing. That said, conditions and terrain permitting, I'll take what cover
I can find. All-night rides have taught me that it's generally not a good
idea to vault over guard rails in the dark, they're usually there for a
reason.

Guelph City council was the butt of jokes a few years ago when, thanks to
drunken University students getting out of the downtown bars at closing
time, made it illegal to urinate in public.

The punchline was: "It's official. There is now absolutely nothing to do in
Guelph."

Old June 10th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

recycled wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:15:58 -0700, Bill Baka
wrote:
In this respect I am lucky enough to sweat out most of my water and only
sometimes have to pee after I get up into the mountains where there are
plenty of places.
Getting bit by a mosquito has happened to me, in the most personal part.
Sometimes I can go on a 12 hour ride and not have to go until I get home
and relax for an hour or so. I think my kidneys go to sleep during any
serious exercise.

Bill Baka

I think there's something to that. The body does seem to know that
we're doing physical work here so don't fill the bladder. Sort of
counterintuitive though; I would think the body is producing more
waste products and would need to get them out.

I always took it as your body prioritizing. It figures it needs that
water more as coolant than waste elimination. I also think the body puts
digestion at a lower priority when engaged in heavy exercise: thus less
waste processed. Ergo not so much pee. And finally I wonder if the body
can use perspiration to eliminate at least some waste that would
normally go via the kidneys and bladder?

Interesting tidbit. I tend to listen to lectures on mp3. One on anatomy
and organ functions had a Cliff Claven 'Little known fact'. The water
used but the body to process waste is 99% recycled. IOW of the water
used to turn food into poop and pee your body recovers and reuses 99% of
it.

Make of that tidbit what you will.

I have a 15 mile commute and I don't think I've ever had to stop to
pee. If I stop at the Taco Bell at the halfway mark I am more likely
to need to find somewhere to poop but even that is rare. Taco Bell
definitely has the side effect.

Not to be indelicate but in August weather I sweat like a pig. Never
really noticed much in the way of salt stains on my shirt but for once.
I swear it was like a car fender in a Canadian winter. Dunno why it was
so noticeable that one particular ride.

In hot weather long distance rides (e.g. double centuries), it's not
uncommon to get thick salt deposits on helmet straps and have black
shorts turn gray from salt crystals. Some claim that bodies acclimated
to heavy sweating will conserve salts, but I don't know for sure. I did
learn the hard way that in such weather, after the 10-12 hour mark or
so, dietary salt didn't seem to keep up and I did much better with salt
capsules. For a lot of people, digestion seems to slow or even shut down
under heavy exercise. I think the decreased urinary flow is just a
symptom of mild dehydration, though. Highly concentrated urine (color)
is the usual tip off.
Old June 12th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Clyde Henpecker

"recycled" wrote in message

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

====

I pull my 15" love machine out of its Zip Code pouch ..

And let that firehose rip..

Ma Nature graham UK 4 April 20th 07 11:12 PM
Conference Call with Dick Pound Call 1-800-670-3547 Joe King Racing 0 September 14th 06 10:54 AM
OT-ish: divorced from nature Tracksterman Mountain Biking 7 February 27th 06 02:04 PM