relatively amusing craig's list ad

Old April 23rd 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default relatively amusing Craig's list ad

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.

No they're not.

I think we have had this discussion before. Interested parties can
search the Google Group archives.

Besides, double straps + cleats are still
de rigeur in track racing. And rightfully
so in that particular avocation, where the
second-to-last thing one wants is pull-outs
from one's pedals.

Not too many stop signs or traffic signals on the velodrome, eh?

Chinook Jargon isn't obsolete either. It often
has more concise nuance than plain English.

Clipless pedals are too skookum.

See http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_benefits.shtml.

Old April 23rd 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.

No they're not.

I think we have had this discussion before.

And I won.

Interested parties can
search the Google Group archives.

I just got off afternoon shift. I dunno what
your excuse for being up at this unGoldy hour
is, or even if you ever sleep at all, but I
recommend it's occasional indulgence.

Besides, double straps + cleats are still
de rigeur in track racing. And rightfully
so in that particular avocation, where the
second-to-last thing one wants is pull-outs
from one's pedals.

Not too many stop signs or traffic signals on the velodrome, eh?

Pull-outs while traversing intersections ain't
much fun either. Neither is having to don special
clabber just to go somewhere.

Chinook Jargon isn't obsolete either. It often
has more concise nuance than plain English.

Clipless pedals are too skookum.

See http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_benefits.shtml.

Whatever turns your cranks.

I'm too sexy for my shoes.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 23rd 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default OT: Motor Vehicle Transmissions

Tom Sherman wrote:
Automatic transmissions suck out too much power, cause a huge delay in
increasing acceleration while they down shift (extremely annoying when

Ah, you're starting to understand the appeal of a fixed gear!

When I first got my fixed gear I rode it for a week straight. Then I
got back on my nearly brand new touring bike and actually stopped twice
to figure out what was dragging... turns out, nothing was dragging. All
of those extra bends and turns in the chain along with a crooked
chainline really do add up! The difference really does feel much like
the power of a manual vs. automatic, the 'direct' connection to the
wheel does translate into more immediate feedback to input.

-Rex

PS: What's wrong with double clutching?

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old April 23rd 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:12:25 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Those people should be banned from driving for life. If a person can not
drive a vehicle lacking syncromesh, he/she should not be issued a license.

Are there any still manufactured? The last car with a "crash" gearbox
I drove was a FIAT 500 from the 1960s.
Old April 24th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.
No they're not.

I think we have had this discussion before.

And I won.

Nope. I still use Power Grips. If I ever find my clips and straps in my
junk boxes, send me your address and I will ship them off.

Interested parties can
search the Google Group archives.

I just got off afternoon shift. I dunno what
your excuse for being up at this unGoldy hour
is, or even if you ever sleep at all, but I
recommend it's occasional indulgence.

I forgot to drug my downstairs neighbor's new dog. The bitch has a very
annoying whiny bark that is impossible to sleep through, and sets off
the other dogs in the building. The children scream, and the mother
talks very loudly on her cordless phone into the early morning hours.

However, I hate to close my windows and run air conditioning in April.

Besides, double straps + cleats are still
de rigeur in track racing. And rightfully
so in that particular avocation, where the
second-to-last thing one wants is pull-outs
from one's pedals.

Not too many stop signs or traffic signals on the velodrome, eh?

Pull-outs while traversing intersections ain't
much fun either. Neither is having to don special
clabber just to go somewhere.

See Power Grips. Pull outs happen with clips and straps, unless cinched
tight with a slotted cleat (talk about "special clabber").

Chinook Jargon isn't obsolete either. It often
has more concise nuance than plain English.

Clipless pedals are too skookum.

See http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_benefits.shtml.

Whatever turns your cranks.

I'm too sexy for my shoes.

Don't let Ed Dolan hear that.

Old April 24th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Rex Kerr wrote:
[...]
PS: What's wrong with double clutching?

Do not ask me - I do it all the time out of habit, even with syncromesh.

Old April 24th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

Those people should be banned from driving for life. If a person can not
drive a vehicle lacking syncromesh, he/she should not be issued a license.

Are there any still manufactured? The last car with a "crash" gearbox
I drove was a FIAT 500 from the 1960s.

Most heavy trucks lack syncromesh, except Volvo's. The clutch is only
used when starting out, which potentially saves in maintenance costs.

Old April 29th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Hmm, maybe I should buy it, it has been quite a few years since I've
felt the pavement rushing by...

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old May 9th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Claire writes:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

At one point I thought /my/ bike was cursed.

Before I even opened the craigslist page I knew that was ad for
Henry's bike.

Until it and me got head-on'd by a car.

Maybe just the parts I had to replace were cursed.

But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

I wish I could say the same, my latest broken frame is sitting at
Recycled Cycles waiting for them to go through all the motions with the
Surly warranty department.

There's somewhat to be said for the hi-tens end
of the chro-moly spectrum.

Black spokes would look good with my rhinestone-eyed
black skull valve caps. I need more skull/death's-head
themed stuff for my bike.

In the frippery department, I've been contemplating what I would need to
make my own headbadges. Probably not as swanky as this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6128877

But I might be able to turn out something interesting.

The Craigslist seller should just get himself a bike
that he could ride and enjoy. Well, I guess he should
just enjoy whatever his reasonable volition suggests.

He bought a Long Haul Trucker earlier this year, and AFAIK hasn't
crashed it yet.

Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

Exactly, the same sort of reason we shouldn't anthropomorphize machines
and computers. They really don't like that.

If those black spokes were octagonal ...

As long as they aren't forged out of Octiron or give off Octarine
colored emissions we're probably okay though.

--
Dane Buson -
"Veni, vedi, vasectomy. I came, I saw, I clipped."
Old May 9th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

It's not too bad below 28 mph or so (on a 68 gear-inch bike [1]). Above
that I don't have the speed required to clip in before my feet bounce
off the pedals.

[1] I have tried doing so as a tandem stoker and it did not go well.

[1] I can't be arsed to do the mph - RPM calculation right now.

--
Dane Buson -
"You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous

Amusing stuff Bill C Racing 1 December 26th 07 11:58 PM
I just got a new unicycle(amusing story) dan de man Unicycling 12 May 15th 07 02:07 PM
Another amusing annecdote TimC Australia 7 May 12th 06 09:12 AM
Amusing clipping.. Richard Adams Racing 1 July 24th 05 02:11 AM
Mildy amusing Willowbeauty UK 4 August 15th 03 01:05 AM