Chicago: Minus one cyclist

Old September 23rd 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Chicago: Minus one cyclist

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 24th 18, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.
Old September 24th 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/

And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

Old September 24th 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:15:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/

And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

It seems to me that says something about the cyclists that got their
wheel caught in the track... Perhaps a short class on "how to ride a
bicycle" should be a part of every bicycle purchase?
--
Cheers

John B.
Old September 24th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:15:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers
John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/
And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

"Milwaukee Hop officials lead bike ride down the rails"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48on9GjIGk0 (2:28)

Or, buy a bicycle with super fat tires that won't get caught in the
tracks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+tire+bike&tbm=isch

So how to I ride though this intersection, being careful to cross each
rail at a 90 degree (perpendicular) angle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_streetcar_system#/media/File:Toronto_Streetcar_Grand_Junction.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 24th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/23/2018 8:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/

And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

Street cars puzzle me. They have much higher first cost than buses, they
have much less route flexibility than buses. Their tracks introduce new
hazards.

Sure, they're trendier, and fashion is ridiculously powerful, but buses
could be made just as fashionable.

https://humantransit.org/2009/07/str...ent-truth.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 18, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Apparently John has this course you can take...

--
duane
Old September 24th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 4:33:53 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.

Surely that would have saved his life!
Old September 24th 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 7:48:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Buses tend to run through residential neighborhoods. The roads in these areas ARE NOT constructed for the loads that buses put on them. So maintenance costs of the roads along bus routes usually are much higher than normal residential streets. While streetcars have a higher initial cost the costs of rail repairs are pretty low. They completely repaved a road three blocks away from me. Then during the repairs to an adjoining main road all of the traffic was taking that repaved road and after two years it is completely broken up with potholes and almost gravel over its entire length of three blocks. Welcome to the real world.
Old September 24th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:01:59 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:15:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/
But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers
John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/
And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

"Milwaukee Hop officials lead bike ride down the rails"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48on9GjIGk0 (2:28)

Or, buy a bicycle with super fat tires that won't get caught in the
tracks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+tire+bike&tbm=isch

So how do I ride though this intersection, being careful to cross each
rail at a 90 degree (perpendicular) angle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_streetcar_system#/media/File:Toronto_Streetcar_Grand_Junction.jpg

Apparently John has this course you can take...

In Santa Cruz, there's a place where the Big Trees railroad tracks
crosses Hwy 9 at a 45 degree angle, on a downhill:
https://goo.gl/maps/VeDNDkkNnYB2
I recall that there was once a sign suggesting that cyclists cross the
rails by either walking across or crossing at a right angle. There
have been a few cycling accidents at this crossing over the years,
including me, twice.

The problem is that crossing perpendicular to the tracks doesn't work.
In order to do that on the downhill, I had to turn sharply to the
left, which requires leaning the bike over. If I ride all the way to
the right, and start my turn roughly in the middle of the lane, I
might be able to cross safely and straighten out near the left side of
the lane. The problem is that if I don't do it perfectly, I could
easily end up straightening out into opposing traffic.

As soon as my rear tire hit the smooth steel rails, my bicycle slid
sideways while leaning into the turn, and down I went. It wasn't a
smooth fall, but rather two lurches sideways as each tire lost
traction on the tracks. I thought that since I knew about the risk in
advance, my reaction time would be sufficient to prevent falling over,
but that was wrong, twice. My reward was the usual road rash and a
twisted left ankle. My bicycle (Miyata 610) fared better with a
broken cheap resin pedal and a torn rear saddle bag. Umm... twice. I
consoled myself by suggesting that it could have been worse.

The math is easy enough. The wheelbase on my bicycle is about 1
meter. The railroad track is 1.4 meters wide. The road is about 3.5
meters wide. I would need to ride perpendicular to the rails turning
45 degrees where the front wheel hits the right rail, and come out of
the turn where my rear wheel leaves the left rail. Total distance
traveled is:
1.0 + 1.4 + 1.0 = 3.4 meters.
At 45 degrees, the minimum road width that this could be accomplished
would be the aforementioned length of the rail crossing, plus twice
the turning radius, which I would guess would be no less than 0.5
meters. Therefore the road width required would be:
(0.707 * 3.4) + (2 * 0.5) = 4.4 meters
With a 3.5 meter wide road, it can't be done without riding into
opposing traffic.

Drivel: I wonder if they're going to bury the tracks?
https://gogocharters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/street-car-intersection-1.jpg

Nearly minus my son :( wafflycat UK 34 November 7th 06 10:14 AM
Ti-prep minus the Ti pg Techniques 5 August 16th 06 01:03 PM
Jimmymac, Chicago cyclist retracts lies, begs forgiveness! MOJO Techniques 2 January 13th 06 05:05 AM
Doesn't 7 minus 1 equal 6 Lance Armstrong? D. Ferguson Racing 0 August 27th 05 03:13 AM
minus 5 this morning davep UK 12 February 27th 04 12:41 PM