Claud Butler San Remo

Old June 4th 04, 04:52 PM
SRT

Default Claud Butler San Remo

Hi,

Would anyone recommend the Claud Butler San Remo for someone who is going to
use the bike mainly as a method of achieving fitness and the odd commute to
work in the summer months? I am pretty new to cycling and have only ever
had a mountain bike. All cycling would be on the road.

Regards, Steven

Old June 4th 04, 09:16 PM
Buzz

Hi there

I bought a Claud Butler Chinook (the flat handle bar version of the remo)
earlier this year. It was my first bike since age 16, now 35. I have found
it very easy to ride, and have steadily increased my distance to 22 miles in
1 hour 20 mins, having being totally out of breath having rode 2 miles on my
first trip. However I now feel the need to upgrade to a "proper" road bike
as I endeavor to make regular 50 mile+ rides. Although I belive the Chinook
will cope with this, something inside me say's I need a better quality bike.
Maybe it's the snob in me, I don't know, but I do feel that the Chinook's
days are numbered. My personal stance now is that, had I known cycling would
have become an important part of my life, I would surely have spent more
initially on a decent road bike.

Regards

Sean B

Old June 4th 04, 11:10 PM
Mark McN

Reply to Buzz
something inside me say's I need a better quality bike.
Maybe it's the snob in me, I don't know, but I do feel that the Chinook's
days are numbered. My personal stance now is that, had I known cycling would
have become an important part of my life, I would surely have spent more
initially on a decent road bike.

Ho, yus, that's a familiar tale. My hybrid, which I bought a few
years ago for commuting and occasional errands, was supplanted after a
year or so by a touring frame which I built up with Nice Bits on it,
which has lately been supplanted by a second-hand comfy chair with
wheels.

If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped the hybrid
stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having cycled since youth,
daring to commit the money for the tourer at the start - let alone the
recumbent. And as it is, when the touring frame was killed by a dozy
cow on a roundabout, at least I still had the hybrid as a temporary
replacement.

--
Mark, UK.
We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him squeak,
Old June 5th 04, 01:12 PM
Terry

, had I known cycling would
have become an important part of my life, I would surely have spent more
initially on a decent road bike.

If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped the hybrid
stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having cycled since youth,
daring to commit the money for the tourer at the start

Unless you know now what you will discover about your likes and needs
over the next couple of years I would get something not too expensive
now, perhaps change some bits as they age (good tyres and saddle,
shoes and spd pedals, alloy handlebars, mudguards and lighting) and it
will get better. Then when its getting older you might have a good
idea of what to spend real money on, and you will still have a second
bike.I like to have one with all the bits on it and one stripped for
lightness.My 225gbp CB dolomite hybrid has evolved into a very tough
useful tourer.It would be good if the san Remo will take mudguards and
a rack because it would give you a choice of being less filthy later
in the year.

TerryJ
Old June 5th 04, 01:20 PM
Terry

If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped the hybrid
stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having cycled since youth,

at least I still had the hybrid as a temporary
replacement.

Unless you know now what you will discover about your like sand need s
over the next 2 yrsI would go for the cheaper bike now.It will work
fine, then as bits age you can replace them with better(good tyres,
saddle, spd pedals and shoes,alloy handlebars).My 225gbp CB hybrid has
evolved into a tough tourer which, to be honest, does a lot more miles
than the high quality audax bike because it has all the bits on it and
is always ready and capable.
Down tube shifters are old fashioned although I still use them
happily.They take some getting used to.

TerryJ