Sort of a Holy **** moment

Old October 16th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Sort of a Holy **** moment

Pertaining to the Look 585 XL size.

I got my carbon seatpost to go in the carbon Look frame. I have all the components on it and put that 4 ounce heavier crank setup onto it. The handlebar is a 3T aluminum with the indents for cables for the 10 speed
Campy stuff. The stem is a rather old Ritchey which is pretty heavy. I put an older Vuelta saddle on it. And an old carbon fiber bottle holder from back when Performance was still a real place.

It needs to have the control cables and the handlebar tape installed. As is I put it on the scale and it is 16.53 lbs. Since that is close to the UCI weight limit for a bike that the largest size and could be made quite a bit lighter I have to say that I'm rather pleased.
Old October 18th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 5:05:30 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Pertaining to the Look 585 XL size.

I got my carbon seatpost to go in the carbon Look frame. I have all the components on it and put that 4 ounce heavier crank setup onto it. The handlebar is a 3T aluminum with the indents for cables for the 10 speed
Campy stuff. The stem is a rather old Ritchey which is pretty heavy. I put an older Vuelta saddle on it. And an old carbon fiber bottle holder from back when Performance was still a real place.

It needs to have the control cables and the handlebar tape installed. As is I put it on the scale and it is 16.53 lbs. Since that is close to the UCI weight limit for a bike that the largest size and could be made quite a bit lighter I have to say that I'm rather pleased.

I was so surprised that the XL Look with not particularly light components on it would be that light that I put some light stuff on it. Well, now I have most of it together except for the cables on one of the brake mount countersink bolds At this point it weights 15.53 lbs. I expect the cables to add another half lb or so and I'll be on the road with a 16 lb XL bike. In comparison, my Di2 Emonda with direct mount brakes on it weighs 17.8 lbs and my Colnago CLX 3.0 is 19.3. I haven't tried the Look since it isn't finished but the Colnago feels lighter than the Emonda when you're riding.
Old October 27th 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 2:23:50 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Taking the Look out last Saturday, it fit perfectly. The angles were so close to perfect I only had to kick into the pedals. The bike had Vittoria Corsa tires on it which normally have great directional stability. But they didn't seem to have that on the Look. It is so light that the normal motions of pedaling move the bike around quite a bit. It wasn't bad geometry because I could directly hit any point I wanted to. The bike handles very well, it just has to be aimed because it doesn't naturally hold a line.

I put together a 38 cm handlebar and carbon stem stem that weigh 165 grams. So the next time I'm striping the handlebar apart I will put this lighter setup on there. Also I've been finding that the narrower bars are more comfortable. The reach out to the levers puts an odd angle to the shoulder joints causing pain after a long ride.
Old October 28th 20, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 8:49:16 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

My saying that I have 38 cm bars may give people the idea that I have narrow bars but I don't. I have 46 cm wide shoulders. But the angle and the fact that you hold the control levers on the bars gives your shoulders an odd angle. 40 cm bars work well and I want to try the 38's so that slightly extra ability to hold your control levers at exactly the right angle. Plus I can save a couple of grams between the carbon Bontrager bars and carbon stem from China Inc. It shouldn't be surprising that there is so little material that can be saved from an aluminum setup that the weight difference is very small. So I'm pretty close to the lowest weight I can get out of an XL bike.

I have only ridden the bike on the flats so I don't know what the handling in the hills is going to be. But it seems to handle well though without a lot of directional stability. But that may simply be because it doesn't have a lot of stability riding very slowly with the old farts. The important thing is how it does or not in a 45 mph descent. I did make several 120 degree or more turns at slow speed which other bikes have trouble with, without the slightest problem. So we'll see hopefully tomorrow on a 50 mph rollout if the handling is up to it. Sidewind didn't seem to offer any problems.
Old November 5th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 2:50:07 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Yesterday I took the Look out again. This time is was MUCH easier to ride since even one ride returns some of my fitness. A course in which I consistently average 9 mph with all of the climbing (1900 feet within 26 miles) I completed it with a 9.99 mph average.

I was passed by one guy on a backroad climb and he hung about 20 feet ahead of me for a long way before resting enough to pull away again. He had to show himself a jackass by passing so close that we almost knocked handlebars and he was clearly riding over his head to pass me that fast.

But I actually remembered where all of the worst bumps were on the way on the next to final downhill. These are so bad that you can be thrown off of the bike if you're not ready for them since you're going 35 at this point. On the final climb there is a pothole that is so well paved you can't see it and I always misjudge where it is. Yesterday was no exception and after I thought I was passed it I pulled into the bike lane and hit it yet again. And just as some horses ass from the golf club was passing at 50 mph in a 25 mph zone. He was over far enough that he was no danger but that is also a blind hilltop with other people going to play golf and of course they too are going well over the speed limits. Of course those that aren't driving BMW's are driving Mercedes so they own the roads.

Getting home I had time to rest before showering and going to the doctor. I have a bump that developed on my #2 finger of my right hand and the wife demanded I see the doctor. He looked at it and said that it isn't cist or a tumor but perhaps a lump that occasionally forms on a tendon. This is where I pull the brakes the most on descents. So all I have to do is keep an eye on it but it is large enough to bother me.
Old November 5th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 2:50:07 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have only ridden the bike on the flats so I don't know what the handling in the hills is going to be. But it seems to handle well though without a lot of directional stability. But that may simply be because it doesn't have a lot of stability riding very slowly with the old farts. The important thing is how it does or not in a 45 mph descent. I did make several 120 degree or more turns at slow speed which other bikes have trouble with, without the slightest problem. So we'll see hopefully tomorrow on a 50 mph rollout if the handling is up to it. Sidewind didn't seem to offer any problems.

Well, the directional stability of the bike is only reduced at low speeds. Up at speed it has enough control to be able to dodge anything but not to have to worry about side winds disturbing your direction by much. The Look also rides a lot softer than the Trek or the Colnago though I still have to compare it to the Lemond steel bike. I haven't ridden it in enough time that I couldn't make a fair comparison
Old November 6th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 2:04:20 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

At this point I will probably sell off enough of the extra bikes I have to build my bank account back up.

Holy Shit is Bruyneel an hypocrite Bill C Racing 36 August 26th 06 12:18 AM
holy shit, I'm giving up MTBing LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 14 May 11th 06 09:42 AM
Holy Shit this Blows!! Bill C Racing 23 July 2nd 05 09:20 AM
Universe 2: Implosion factor- holy shit jc_dunn Unicycling 23 May 12th 05 06:06 PM
Holy shit Track on TV TritonRider Racing 11 September 21st 04 03:12 PM