Landis fails drug test

Old July 30th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default The Tour Hypocrisy (was Landis fails drug test)

R Brickston wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:30:09 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

FWIW German media is reporting that Landis's A sample showed a T:E
ratio of 11:1 (I think that's been mentioned before) and also that
the lab has determined that the testosterone is exogenous in
nature. Landis's lawyer has criticized this and called the test
process used "unreliable." Things look less and less good for
Floyd.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ul06/jul31news

"In the case of the American, L'Equipe reported that the analysis
found testosterone of artificial origin."

L'Equipe, IMO, is not a reliable source, they didn't seem too
objective in their comments about Armstrong and his 1999 B "testing."

Funny thing abut human nature- we tend to think that media outlets who
publish information that goes against the grain of our own world view
are not reliable news sources. For example I think that Fox News is an
unreliable news source, but a neocon friend of mine thinks that Fox News
is "fair and balanced" and that the NYT, NPR and the BBC are unreliable.
Fortunately he and I have bicycling and guitars to agree on!
Old July 30th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

wrote:

[...]

In this case, there seems to be plenty of information about the
Armstrong/Pound/WADA/UCI/L'Equipe debacle that pretty much makes
L'Equipe smell bad.
Old July 31st 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

Default Landis fails drug test

R Brickston wrote:
On 28 Jul 2006 17:22:59 -0700, "bicycle_disciple"
wrote:
On other instances, he was caught
screaming obscenities at other cyclists during the most crucial periods
of a race.

What is your source for this?

http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...-landis-1.html

See page 4 of that article.

Do a little reading from bicycle_disciple's past posts to usenet. Then
judge for yourself whether he/she is worth your time.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)
Old August 1st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

wrote:
On other instances, he was caught
screaming obscenities at other cyclists during the most crucial periods
of a race.

What is your source for this?

http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...-landis-1.html

See page 4 of that article.

Do a little reading from bicycle_disciple's past posts to usenet. Then
judge for yourself whether he/she is worth your time.

To rewrite what really was reported and revise it to say "...he was
caught screaming obscenities at other cyclists during the most crucial
periods of a race" is taking it way out of context. If one had not
read the article, many different negative scenarios come to mind.

The author of the newsgroup post must be taken to task for this
extreme difference, where he writes "he [Landis] was caught screaming
obscenities," when in fact the actual context of the news article is
totally different describing Landis' action as, he "turned to address
the peloton... he asked loudly." Quite a difference from "screaming."

Here is the entire quote from the article:

"At the base of a climb, he ordered his team to the front and told
them to go full throttle. They blasted for three, five, ten minutes,
and when everyone behind was gasping and hurting, Landis turned to
address the peloton. "You want more of that, mother****ers?" he asked
loudly. 'Because if you do, we've got plenty.' "
Old August 1st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

R Brickston wrote:
The author of the newsgroup post must be taken to task for this
extreme difference,

I think b_d ought to be taken to task for his outrageous leaps of logic.
But I don't think he's worth the time.

Old August 1st 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Apparently the L'Equipe report that there was exogenous testosterone in
Floyd's A sample has been confirmed by the New York Time talking to an
unnamed UCI official.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...g06/aug01news2

" The New York Times edition of Tuesday, August 1 has published
information which substantiates previous reports in French L'Equipe
newspaper, according to which exogenous, synthetic testosterone was
found in Floyd Landis' A sample of July 20. A source 'within the UCI
anti-doping department, with knowledge of the result' Landis' probe
returned, said in an interview that some of the testosterone in his body
had come from an external source and was not produced by his system.

The Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry test (IRMS), which differentiates
between natural and synthetic testosterone, was done after Landis' ratio
of testosterone/epitestosterone was found to be more than twice what is
allowed under World Anti-Doping Agency rules, the person said.

Landis' personal doctor, Dr. Brent Kay of Temecula, California, told the
New York Times he hoped that the results of the test and of the initial
T/E test were false positives. He did, however, confirm rumours that the
initial test found a ratio of 11/1 in Landis's system. He and Landis are
seeking an explanation for that high level."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/sp...is.html?hp&ex=
1154491200&en=3f51b3d7def2bbea&ei=5094&partner=hom epage

If the B sample confirms the high T:E ratio and finds synthetic
testosterone (which has a high proportion of carbon 13 atoms,
apparently, which is what allows differentiation from endogenous
testosterone) then it's pretty clear Floyd cheated. Of course, it seems
pretty clear to me now that Floyd cheated but I'm willing to wait for
confirmation before drawing a final conclusion.
Old August 1st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:49:59 -0500, "M. Bakunin" wrote:

Well, the original was L'Auto, a general sports newspaper. As a sidebar:
L'Auto was printed on a yellowish paper.They started the Tour de France
in 1903, and when in 1919 they came up with the idea of having a special
jersey for the leader, they chose the color yellow as a gimmick for
additional advertisement and reference to the newspaper. Became later
L'Equipe, and Amory bought it in 1968.

According to the commentators here, the green jersey was originally
sponsored by a parisian manufacturer of lawnmowers. Grass, green, you get
the picture.

Jasper
Old August 3rd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
41

Default Dope me Floyd

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10633.0.html

Testing reliability Bill C Racing 25 December 17th 05 03:47 PM
Jimmy failed drug test Fritz M General 15 September 9th 05 11:59 PM
Interview with drug testing expert Dr. Don Catlin Pat General 24 August 30th 05 11:27 PM
Armstrong surprise drug test! Claudius Vitalis Racing 18 July 5th 05 12:51 PM
Pos. Drug Test Scott Hendricks Racing 7 October 3rd 03 12:12 AM