Need Navigation Help in Portland

Old May 21st 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
James Fitch

Default Need Navigation Help in Portland

I'll be riding through Portland in early August, headed south. If I come off
Highway 30 onto what looks like Business 30 (Columbia River Highway?), and
onto NW Vaughan Street (i.e. the STP route into Portland), what is then the
best way to get to the bicycle paths along the river? I need to get to just
below the Ross Island Bridge. The Portland bike map that I have is not
perfectly clear, and the various mapping applications that I have access to
conflict with each other and the Portland bike map as to one way streets and
the like. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jim

Old May 21st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"James Fitch" jfitchatnapannetdotnet wrote in message
I'll be riding through Portland in early August, headed south.

I don't know the answer to your question, but why don't you ask on the
Portland Wheelman Touring Club forum? http://www.pwtc.com/index.php/forums/

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old May 21st 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Lynne Fitz

On which side of the river do you want to be? East or west? Weren't
you headed for OHSU? Up on the hill or the part down on the river?
If you follow the STP route in, it will take you to the Broadway
Bridge. Unless you cross the river, you don't want to go that
far :-) Once you top out on Wardway, turn south on one of the
numbered streets until you see Everett or Davis (one which lets you go
east/downhill); it will take you down to the waterfront. Cross over
Naito, and you are in Waterfront Park. You don't have to ride up to
OHSU anymore, you can take the tram (with your bike) from the OHSU
waterfront tram station. Take Naito (aka Front) south, turn left onto
Harbor Drive, left onto River Parkway/Moody Ave (Moody will break off
to the right), follow Moody to the tram station. Big building; can't
miss it. Naito is allegedly freshly reopened with bike lanes.

Naito Street runs along the river; around the Burnside Bridge or
thereabouts, you can get on the paved paths in Waterfront Park.
Beware, though; lots of walkers, joggers, small children, etc, etc.

If I've completely confused you :-) ask for a gmaps thing; I'll do it
up for you.

Or, go to BikePortland.org, and register on their forums. Lots of in-
city cyclists who are happy to give you a route.

Cheers,
Lynne F

Old May 22nd 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
James Fitch

"Lynne Fitz" wrote in message
ups.com...
On which side of the river do you want to be? East or west?

I want to be on the west side of the river.

Weren't you headed for OHSU? Up on the hill or the part down on the
river?

Yes. The part down by the river -- 3303 SW Bond Ave.

If you follow the STP route in, it will take you to the Broadway
Bridge. Unless you cross the river, you don't want to go that
far :-)

That I understand.

Once you top out on Wardway, turn south on one of the
numbered streets until you see Everett or Davis (one which lets you go
east/downhill); it will take you down to the waterfront. Cross over
Naito, and you are in Waterfront Park.

I guess I'm just trying to discover what is the best (as in most bicycle
friendly) way to do this. I'm have to be in Portland for a few days in early
June. As long as I'm there, I'll be taking a look at the options I've
developed then.

You don't have to ride up to
OHSU anymore, you can take the tram (with your bike) from the OHSU
waterfront tram station. Take Naito (aka Front) south, turn left onto
Harbor Drive, left onto River Parkway/Moody Ave (Moody will break off
to the right), follow Moody to the tram station. Big building; can't
miss it. Naito is allegedly freshly reopened with bike lanes.

Naito Street runs along the river; around the Burnside Bridge or
thereabouts, you can get on the paved paths in Waterfront Park.
Beware, though; lots of walkers, joggers, small children, etc, etc.

If I've completely confused you :-) ask for a gmaps thing; I'll do it
up for you.

Thanks. I don't think I'm that confused....yet.

Or, go to BikePortland.org, and register on their forums. Lots of in-
city cyclists who are happy to give you a route.

I've gotten some ideas from that forum already, as a lurker. I've now
registered and am awaiting "approval" by the administrator (interesting
concept).

Thanks for the help, both before, and now.

-Jim

[...]

News==----http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Old May 22nd 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Lynne Fitz

NW Portland is reasonably even in terms of bicycle friendliness. I'd
turn off NW 23rd before Good Samaritan Hospital, because of the
trolley tracks. You could ride all the way down to Lovejoy and cross
under I405 there. (and stop at REI :-) ) Then if you turn left on
any left-going street after that, and then turn right onto NW Overton,
you'll end up on Front/Naito, which will get you right where you need
to be.

Of course, if you want to see trendy NW Portland at its best, stay on
NW 23rd. But the traffic (auto and pedestrian) gets congested at that
point.

ups.com...

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----- Hide quoted text -

Old May 24th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
me

I guess I'm just trying to discover what is the best (as in most bicycle
friendly) way to do this. I'm have to be in Portland for a few days in early
June. As long as I'm there, I'll be taking a look at the options I've
developed then.

Hey, while you're there why not check out Clever Cycles on 9th ave SE
near Hawthorne boulevard? I'd be curious to know what they're like.
They are due to open properly in June and should be well underway
in August. They are specializing in Dutch bikes (cargo/commuter) and
are the home of the stokemonkey.

Need Navigation Help in Portland James Fitch General 5 May 24th 07 06:05 AM
Route From Portland to the Coast SW of Portland James Fitch Rides 4 April 29th 07 06:46 PM
Wiggle navigation Colin Blackburn UK 3 April 23rd 04 01:02 PM
Navigation device?! Shotokan Techniques 2 March 12th 04 02:56 PM
Proposed Navigation Device >:) Shotokan Off Road 2 March 9th 04 11:08 AM