frame vs mini pump

Old December 31st 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jeffreybike

Default frame vs mini pump

I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat
and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?
Old December 31st 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

jeffreybike schreef:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat
and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.

Classic.

Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular?

Weight,
Te looks,
Long frame pumps don't fit in many modern frames,
You have to give up a second waterbottle

Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

No, they are all rubbish. In my opinion you have three options:
1. use a long framepump or a not so long Road morph and you don't have
any worries,
2. use CO2 cartridges and hope you don't get more flats in one ride than
the amount of catridges you carry,
3. use a minipump and suffer or hope that one guy in the group has a
decent pump.

Lou, option 2.
Old December 31st 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 31, 9:18*am, jeffreybike wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. *When
any of my fellow cyclist have a *flat
*and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? *Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

I get 2 flats on the road per year, usually averaging one. A mini
pump goes from bag to bag from bike to bike very easily. The extra
couple minutes it takes to pump up a tire doesn't matter--as it's
reliable and tiny. Topeak Master Blaster, BTW. Also worth noting--here
in the grit of the city--a frame pump forgotten on a locked bike lasts
maybe a few minutes.That said--if I got a flat with you--I'd borrow
your pump. Haha!
Old December 31st 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-12-31, jeffreybike wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat
and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

The good ones can get the tyre to 100psi with a bit of effort but are
perfectly acceptable for the occasional puncture on the road.

You don't always have anywhere to put a frame pump if you've got two
bottles and a brake cable running under the top tube.
Old December 31st 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeffrey who? wrote:

I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini pump, they
always as to use my long frame pump. Why do cyclist use a min
pumps? They are cute and small, is this the reason they are so
popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is as good as a full
size frame pump?

That's an old story. I also stop on occasion to pump a tire for
someone with a mini-pump. The full sized Silca Impero plastic pump,
the mainstay of sport bicycling until the new generation started
buying whiz-bang bikes. They had insufficient arm strength to get
more than about 50 psi and they didn't learn how to pump into their
other fist, instead holding the wheel and pumping against the valve
stem that regularly broke off.

The mini-pump requires no great force (you spin, its better for your
joints) and the thin is so small that most folks hold the valve stem.
That is why we use CO2 cartridges now, because mini-pumps are so
endlessly slow and tedious.

The Silca Impero is gone! We're the green generation!

Jobst Brandt
Old December 31st 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 31, 8:18*am, jeffreybike wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. *When
any of my fellow cyclist have a *flat
*and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? *Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

I use CO2s. At first I thought that they were expensive. But I bought
a bunch of them for 50 cents each at greenfish. I also carry a tiny
little topeak pump. Two spare tubes, two CO2 cartridges, a topeak mini
pump and tools fit nice in an old tubbie seat pack.

As someone said, I can switch the bag from bike to bike with
everything that I need. Frame fit pumps are nice too, and if yours
fits well in your frame, it is the thing to carry. However, there are
good enough mini pumps that can put 100+ PSI in the tires. Of course
it takes 200 strokes instead of 100. So, when you are around, it is
easier and faster to ask you. However if you are not available, it
takes a little longer.

I also have a performance pump that sets like a home pump, just like a
topeak road morph. That is a nice mini pump, but it is bulkier than my
topeak mini which fits in my seat pack.
Old December 31st 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 31, 3:26*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
jeffreybike schreef:

[...]

4. Get punctureproof tyres like Schwalbe's Marathon Plus. Carry a
spare tube for other cyclists. Optionally carry the useless minipump
that came with your bike because other cyclists go ooh and aah about
it.

Andre, option 4
Old December 31st 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

jeffreybike schreef:

[...]

Minipump that came with your bike? Which bike comes with a minipump?
Old December 31st 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

jeffreybike schreef:
[...]

Many Dutch utility/recreation bikes. Like this one:

http://www.rih.nl/site/modellen/sigm...odel/index.php

When you in the Netherlands visit some bikeshops you will be amazed.

Lou
Old December 31st 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
jeffreybike wrote:

I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini pump, they
always as to use my long frame pump.

Of course they do. Not only do mini pumps suck, but they are getting
worse and worse as they get more and more miniaturized.

Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular?

No, it's because current bike designs don't include making it easy to
mount a frame pump. And frame pumps are "too heavy" by many people's
standards, the old feather-light Silca Impero being long gone and
replaced with pumps that would be decent clubs in a fight.

Is there a top notch mini pump that is as good as a full size frame
pump?

No.

Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump trials_uni Unicycling 0 February 3rd 06 12:17 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM