Is it possible to weld a bike rim?

Old September 16th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BlahBlah

Default Is it possible to weld a bike rim?

Anyone know if it's possible to weld a split rim? The rim has two cracks
(split) on the inside (tire side under the cloth strip). The two cracks are
opposite one another and extend almost to the opposite hole but don't
actually meet; rather they 'overlap' in the middle between the two spoke
holes. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me but the MFR has refused to
cover under warranty, even though there's no evidence of abuse and I'm only
out of the warranty period by a few weeks.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to have the cracks welded - or would
that lead to too much of an imbalance? Any thoughts?

Old September 16th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

BlahBlah wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to weld a split rim? *The rim has two cracks
(split) on the inside (tire side under the cloth strip). *The two cracks are
opposite one another and extend almost to the opposite hole but don't
actually meet; rather they 'overlap' in the middle between the two spoke
holes. *Seems like a manufacturing defect to me but the MFR has refused to
cover under warranty, even though there's no evidence of abuse and I'm only
out of the warranty period by a few weeks.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to have the cracks welded -

No.

or would that lead to too much of an imbalance?

Imbalance has nothing to do with it. First, it's wildly uneconomical
to do any amount of welding on a failed rim that can be replaced with
something categorically better (that won't crack) for $20.

Second, you'd wind up with a huge heat-affected zone (effectively the
entire rim) that would cause the repair to fail more quickly than the
original rim.

Probably the failure you describe was a result of using excessive tire
pressure in a single-walled rim. If it's a double-walled rim, the
failure is likely a result of a surface groove acting as a stress
riser on the rim bed. Replace with a good strong double-walled rim
like the Alex DM18 or DM24, and you'll have no recurrence of this
failure.

Chalo
Old September 16th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

What is the make & model of the failed rim?

Replace with a good strong double-walled rim
like the Alex DM18 or DM24, and you'll have no recurrence of this
failure.

http://pricepoint.resultspage.com/se...im&asug=&x=0&y
=0

US$140 for disc-ready wheelset.

Old September 16th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Moi[_2_]

What is the make & model of the failed rim?

Replace with a good strong double-walled rim
like the Alex DM18 or DM24, and you'll have no recurrence of this
failure.

http://pricepoint.resultspage.com/se...im&asug=&x=0&y

=0

US$140 for disc-ready wheelset.

Reviews are mixed:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/alex-
rims/dm24/PRD_416198_139crx.aspx

Old September 16th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

notme wrote:

What is the make & model of the failed rim?

Replace with a good strong double-walled rim
like the Alex DM18 or DM24, and you'll have no recurrence of this
failure.

http://pricepoint.resultspage.com/se...im&asug=&x=0&y

US$140 for disc-ready wheelset.

Not a bad price. If all you need is a rim, $21 is better:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Dm24+Rim.aspx

Chalo
Old September 16th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article -
september.org, says...

What is the make & model of the failed rim?

Replace with a good strong double-walled rim
like the Alex DM18 or DM24, and you'll have no recurrence of this
failure.

http://pricepoint.resultspage.com/search?
p=Q&ts=custom&w=alex+rim&asug=&x=0&y

=0

US$140 for disc-ready wheelset.

Reviews are mixed:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/alex-
rims/dm24/PRD_416198_139crx.aspx

Because of their economical price Alex rims and wheels seem like a good
choice. Alex wheel products are not somehow magically separated from
that absolute of production and marketing, that you get what you pay for.

Old September 16th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ronko wrote:

Because of their economical price Alex rims and wheels seem like a good
choice. *Alex wheel products are not somehow magically separated from
that absolute of production and marketing, that you get what you pay for.

Buy Mavic, Velocity, or DT rims these days and you most assuredly do
not get what you pay for.

Chalo
Old September 16th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 16 Sep, 17:39, "BlahBlah" wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to weld a split rim? *The rim has two cracks
(split) on the inside (tire side under the cloth strip). *The two cracks are
opposite one another and extend almost to the opposite hole but don't
actually meet; rather they 'overlap' in the middle between the two spoke
holes. *Seems like a manufacturing defect to me but the MFR has refused to
cover under warranty, even though there's no evidence of abuse and I'm only
out of the warranty period by a few weeks.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to have the cracks welded - or would
that lead to too much of an imbalance? *Any thoughts?

Likely not viable. The cause of the failure is likely all around the
rim and so repairing this failure will only lead to others. I'd weld
a steel rim without much concern because it's easier/quicker than
rebuilding. Alu alloy rims worth repairing will require special
treatment, so preserving a rim is for historic reasons only.
Old September 16th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

BlahBlah wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to weld a split rim? The rim has two
cracks (split) on the inside (tire side under the cloth strip). The two
cracks are opposite one another and extend almost to the opposite hole
but don't actually meet; rather they 'overlap' in the middle between the
two spoke holes. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me but the MFR
has refused to cover under warranty, even though there's no evidence of
abuse and I'm only out of the warranty period by a few weeks.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to have the cracks welded - or
would that lead to too much of an imbalance? Any thoughts?

No.
Not even if time and money didn't matter.
Are you serious?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/