Floyd Beattie passes away

Old June 16th 04, 03:11 PM
harper

Default Floyd Beattie passes away

Some time ago I posted photos of Floyd Beattie, a speed and distance
unicyclist from Athens, Ohio, 'IN THIS THREAD'
(http://tinyurl.com/2q4gn). One of the grad students in the lab here has
childhood memories of Floyd's antics in her hometown from decades ago.
This is an exerpt from the note she sent me.

*****************

I just heard from my parents that Floyd Beattie
passed away of cancer. His family is looking for comments from someone
in the unicycling community that might be appropriate to read at his
funeral,
and also (I think) someone who might have an idea for what to do with
his vintage unicycle. They would especially love to know if there is a
museum
anywhere that keeps track of things like unicycling. I though you might
be able to suggest who to contact on these things. Any ideas? I think
he was very touched by your interest in sharing his photographs and in
the feedback they generated, so it was actually meaningful to him during
a tough time.

******************

The vintage unicycle she refers to is a Tom Miller big wheel. Floyd
owned several other unicycles. I never met Floyd but I know John Foss
and others on the newsgroup have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anyone who knows how to contact Tom Miller may want to do so also.

--
harper - Statuesque

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

"Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

Old June 16th 04, 03:25 PM
JJuggle

Sad news, indeed.

The 'Metz Bicycle Museum' (http://www.metzbicyclemuseum.com) in
Freehold, NJ has a couple of unicycles including a golfbag unicycle
ridden by Judge Edison Hedges of Atlantic City, NJ. Hedges was profiled
in 1974, the first year of the USA Newsletter. Perhaps his family would
prefer that his vintage unicycle stay closer to home, but if there is
interest the website includes contact information. I'd be willing to
assist if they desire.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Whenever we drive, the road feels longer than what we've cycled. - Lars
Clausen, -One Wheel - Many Spokes-, page 48
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 16th 04, 05:27 PM
johnfoss

Floyd Beattie was a former holder of the Guinness 100 mile record. It
was a battle, in the late 80s, between him and a handful of other
(younger riders). That battle ended a week after Unicon III in Japan,
with a 100 mile *race*. Yes the Takauiki Koike current 100 mile record
was set in an actual 100 mile unicycle race. I'm not sure how many other
riders participated, if any, but the 18 year old Takayuki set a mark
that was way beyond the training of the 30+ Floyd.

Befor that, he set some speed records for the adult age groups at some
USA conventions and at Unicons I and II. A picture of his aerodynamic
track unicycle (with spoke covers and full toeclips) is featured on my
Garage Page. I've attached it below.

If his family needs someone to write something up, I'm sure I could help
out. I have a stack of letters he sent me during my newsletter editor
days, and even some more recent emails from a few years ago.

Floyd owned more than one big wheel from Tom Miller. He did an hour
record attempt in 1988 or so, as well as setting a "top speed" record at
an IHPVA convention. This was done on brand new 45" wheel, I believe,
which might make it very similar to mine.

I don't remember what Floyd's speed was from the 200m speed trap.
Something like 22-23 mph. I think Cokers have exceeded that, but not
under such official conditions. I'm sure it's still the official IHPVA
top speed record for a unicycle.

In his hour record, he was trying to beat a mark of about 14.88 miles or
so that was set by a guy in the 1880s. He was shooting for 15 of course,
but didn't quite make it. He was being a purist on the ride, and
wouldn't accept any outside water. So after he used up what he'd carried
with him, he proceeded to dry out and have to "retire" a few laps before
the hour was up to relieve his stomach of its contents.

Goodbye Floyd. We will miss you with your giant beard and long hair,
juxtaposed under a skinsuit and aero racing helmet. You were one of a
kind.

| Attachment filename: flddisk.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/217282|

johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"That sucks." -- Ryan Atkins, at the bottom of a 10' cliff he just
jumped off at the 2003 California MUni Weekend, looking at his bent
seat.

Old June 16th 04, 05:32 PM
johnfoss

Here's a picture of Floyd, from one of his 100 mile record attempts.
Don't know which one, but pretty sure this was in Ohio, not the one in
Japan. This is not my photo, and not sure of the source. I think it may
be a press photo.

| Attachment filename: floyd100.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/217285|

Old June 16th 04, 05:47 PM
JJuggle

Here is an AP report of one of Floyd's record breaking rides.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ
UNICYCLIST CLAIMS WORLD RECORD FOR 100 MILES

147 words
The Associated Press
English
(Copyright 1985. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

(AP) _ A man who once crossed Ireland on a unicycle pedaled through a
downpour to claim the world record for a 100-mile ride on a one-wheeler
by more than an hour.

Floyd Beattie, 32, did 22 laps on a 4.54-mile bike path in seven hours,
53 minutes and 55 seconds. The mark listed in the Guinness Book of World
Records is nine hours, 20 minutes and 53 seconds set in 1981 by Johnnie
Severin of A****er, Calif.

The Athens resident used a 40-inch wheel instead of the standard 24-inch
wheel, saving him an estimated 30,000 pedals, he said.

During the ride, he ate bananas and a mix of apples, carob, dates and
coconut, drank from two water bottles attached to the cycle. He hopped
off the unicycle after each lap to turn around.

Old June 17th 04, 04:30 AM
Darren

Greg

Very sad news about Floyd...

He was a great guy and very helpful back when
I met him in the mid-1980's.
Fond memories will always be remembered.

I was on the track when Floyd rode that unicycle
John included a photo of in this thread. It was 1986 in Bowling Green
Ohio. He did 4 laps of the track passing and lapping other riders riding
with toe clips.

Please let your friend know that if they are looking for a permanent
place for Floyd's unicycle
to be displayed and cherished, I would be greatful
to have it on display in my unicycle shop.
I would reprint all the photos I have with/of Floyd, put them in a album
and make it available to everyone who visits.

I would drive down to Ohio and pick it up if I get to be the person who
gets to display the unicycle.

I have many vintage unicycles including old Schwinn's, Loyd and T.E.M.
unicycles. T.E.M. are unicycles made by Tom Miller beford 1985 when he
started The Unicycle Factory. I have many T.U.F. unicycles as well.

I'm into collecting and perserving the history of unicycles and
unicycling. I will have a show room dedicating to unicycles from years
past.

Do you have the date of his death ? I want to record it for historical
reasons.

Another unicyclist that will be missed dearly.

Please pass on my contact info.

Thanks for posting,
Darren

416-729-9696