29er wheel on hybrid?

Old July 28th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike V

Default 29er wheel on hybrid?

I have a Trek 7.5 flat-bar road bike, or 700c hybrid, that I use for
commuting and touring. I'd like to replace the wheels with something
wider and stronger, without having custom wheels built. Can I use a
29er wheelset, as long as the dropout spacing is the same (135mm) and
the hubs are QR and V-brake compatible, and not disc-only? Would the
29er wheels have to be re-dished? Is there anything else that could
get me in trouble? Thanks.
Old July 28th 11, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Mike V" wrote in message
I have a Trek 7.5 flat-bar road bike, or 700c hybrid, that I use for
commuting and touring. I'd like to replace the wheels with something
wider and stronger, without having custom wheels built. Can I use a
29er wheelset, as long as the dropout spacing is the same (135mm) and
the hubs are QR and V-brake compatible, and not disc-only? Would the
29er wheels have to be re-dished? Is there anything else that could
get me in trouble? Thanks.

The spacing will be the same, and a bit wider rims will work fine, but
you don't have tire clearance on a 7.5FX for anything too big (you need
to check clearance at the front fork, on the sides and top, and for the
rear, clearance between chainstays, seatstays, front derailleur and
perhaps even the possibility of a larger tire hitting the seat tube as
well).

The 7.5FX wasn't designed for the sort of tires found on a mountain
bike, but it sounds like you're using it for commuting. Have you had
issues with the stock wheels? They've worked out very well for us; many
of the 7.5FXs that we've sold have gone into heavy-duty commute service.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 29th 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Jul 27, 10:44*pm, Mike V wrote:
I have a Trek 7.5 flat-bar road bike, or 700c hybrid, that I use for
commuting and touring. I'd like to replace the wheels with something
wider and stronger, without having custom wheels built. Can I use a
29er wheelset, as long as the dropout spacing is the same (135mm) and
the hubs are QR and V-brake compatible, and not disc-only? Would the
29er wheels have to be re-dished? Is there anything else that could
get me in trouble? Thanks.

No real disagreement with anything MJ has said and I doubt you would
encounter any real issues with the _wheels_ (tires are another story-
but those issues are simply a matter of sizing) .

But I think you will find that 29er wheelsets (or at least those
desgnated as such) for rim brakes are as rare as hen's teeth.

DR