folding bikes

Old May 24th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default folding bikes

In article ,
wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

Not useful as a commuting bike, though, if you need something that
will fold up in 30 seconds to get on or off trains, buses or for
storage at work.

Agree

A true folding bike for commuting purposes should fold FAST and
CLEAN. Quick and easy to fold when entering train or putting hike in
back of car trunk.

I once owned a Bike Friday and altho it folded for transporting it
was NOT what I consider to be a commuting folder. Agree?

Yes. When I was looking for a folder, I borrowed a Bike Friday for a
month. It was not suitable, with having to remove the stem from the
steerer and ending up with grease on my clothes and work environment. I
bought a Birdy, as Bromptons were unavailable locally at that time. The
Birdy was fine, but I sold it this spring as I wasn't using it much. I
just commute on a single speed and leave it locked up outside- much more
convenient in my situation.
Old May 24th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:

just commute on a single speed and leave it locked up outside- much more
convenient in my situation.

Understand

But Id like a good commuting folder myself

Something I can fold up FAST and easy and out in trunk
of car if needled
Old May 25th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:

If purely for commuting, it's pretty hard to beat the Brompton.

Are the Bromptons made well?

http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/brompton.pdf

Adventure Cycling did a review of a Brompton a few years ago. If the
link above does not work, do a search for Brompton in their Library
Archive.

Old May 25th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:

If purely for commuting, it's pretty hard to beat the Brompton.

Are the Bromptons made well?

http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/brompton.pdf

Adventure Cycling did a review of a Brompton a few years ago. If the
link above does not work, do a search for Brompton in their Library
Archive.

Adventure Cycling also reviewed the "Downtube VIII" in their April
issue. The review seemed generally favorable, but doesn't appear to be
available online. These bikes are apparently only available via Ebay or
factory direct: www.downtube.com
Mark

Old May 26th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Check www.dahon.com. These bikes use to be pretty crude, but they
improve every year and are a good commuting bike for a multi-modal
computer. The fold in 15 seconds. There is a bag you can get to carry
them over your shoulder and onto a train. They have a huge range of
models from under $300.00 to about $1,000. Even the least expensive
would be good for a multi-modal commuter.
Alan Acock

Old May 26th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Well, I'm looking for something to commute with, e.g. to drag on and
off trains and buses. So I think I'm looking at a goofy small wheeled
bike. I have seen the Breakaways and they are quite nice.

I went for the extreme- small and super light, a Panasonic
"Traincle" mostly because I stumbled across one on
Craigslist a while back. I had researched them before
but never thought I would actually find one in the US.
I ended up paying $850.
That is either very expensive or the cheapest
titanium bike you could ever find.

I haven't a clue where you could find one in the US.
Here's a Japanese URL:

http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/compact/index.html

The "Traincle" is now known as the 6500 and 7500 (for
their weight I assume- 6.5kg and 7.5kg)

It just depends on how small, how portable, and
how far you want to ride. The Panasonic is way
at the "small portable" end of the spectrum.

The positives:
The Panasonic weighs around 15lb (titanium frame and fork).
There is nothing out there in that weight class. Nothing.
(A titanium Brompton S2L X weighs over 21 lbs.)
To put it into my trunk I don't even completely fold it, just
unclip the main tube hinge lock.

It is just so light and small, I never worry
about locking it up. It just goes on all my errands
with me into the shops.

The negatives:
Lots of negatives. There isn't a wide range of ultralight
saddles for upright riding, so the saddle I have (titanium rails)
comes from a racing bike (it appears). You could put a comfy
saddle on it though. But it would be heavier.

Not for riding where tire punctures would be a problem.
The tires are super thin as are the tubes. The only place
I know to get the tubes/tires is direct from National
in Japan. My bike shop could provide 2.5" 14" tires that
would probably be more suited to commuting than the
1.5" that come with the bike. But they would be heavier.

Not sized for large riders. It has a huge nitto seat post
but fully extended it would probably best work for someone who
is 5' 8". I'm 6'2" and I tolerate the I-just-came-
from-the-circus look.

Mine is one speed, but the 7.5kg version has 8 speeds.
But it's heavier.

This is a bike you would cycle 4 miles on, not 10 (it's
niche in Japan is that it is sized to fit into a Japan
Railways locker, so the commuter picks up his bike at
the station and rides to his office building).

In the end, I was more interested in the ultimate
portability of the folding bike, so that's why I
bought it. If I was going to be traveling by air
and wanted a bike for touring I'd go with a Bike Friday.
But I could never justify one of the Brompton-class
bikes because they were still too bulky and too heavy
and portability was my top priority.

An unexpected bonus, it's great for quick dog
walks. The wheels are so small you are close to the
ground and easy to steady yourself if the pooch
takes off in the wrong direction (by putting your
feet out).

A link to all sorts of Japanese folding bikes can be found at
http://nagoya.cool.ne.jp/alform1/jfbl.html

A link to get contact info (email, fax) is provided
(in English) by the Japanese Bicycle Promotion Institute:
http://www.jbpi.or.jp/english/jbg.html

regards
Jeff