1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

Old October 7th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Default 1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

Great to hear from you, and keep it up!

--
tholub
Old October 7th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

Nice work blowing off the 2-wheelers at 4800m Steve! You're awesome.
THANKS so much for posting from remote Tibet.

---Nathan

--
nathan
Old October 7th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
paul royle

Great to hear from you Steve, it sounds awesome!

Paul

--
paul royle
Old November 12th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

Wow Steve!

I recevived a scrap on a facebook style site called orkut, very common
in Brazil, from a Go Outside journalist who's making something about
your ride!

I'm not sure if it's an interview or just a note on the magazine, but
I'll keep contact with she. I think she wants some help lto make the
article!

Funny, now you'll be famous here :

--
pedrotejada

'*Kris Holm Unicycles*' (http://www.krisholm.com)

*Brazilian Unicycling Team*
Old November 12th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Steve,

Wow, incredible. What an awesome adventure and congratulations for
pulling it off!

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old November 13th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

joe;1118876 wrote:

Are you standing by your sig, once is NEVER enough??!
Joe,

Errrr......... No! But then again, this is the second time I've
travelled the same route from Lhasa to Kathmandu. The last time was in a
4-wheeled-drive vehicle 12 years ago.

Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
'1000km charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest, on a
Unicycle - Please help support' (http://www.unicyclesteve.com)
Old November 13th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

pedrotejada;1130006 wrote:
Wow Steve!

I recevived a scrap on a facebook style site called orkut, very common
in Brazil, from a Go Outside journalist who's making something about
your ride!

I'm not sure if it's an interview or just a note on the magazine, but
I'll keep contact with she. I think she wants some help lto make the
article!

Funny, now you'll be famous here :

Thanks for that. I've been in email contact with them over the last few
days and they have lots of my photos and information for their article.

Steve

Old November 13th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

Hi everyone,

A MASSIVE thank you to everyone that has sponsored me by donating to
these very worthy projects in Nepal. While I was in Kathmandu (and not
riding) I had several meetings with the NGO to discuss their priorities
for the projects in the village and where best to channel the money
raised.

My website will continue to be up-dated with information relating to
the ongoing work in the village of Tawal, Nepal. I will try, as much as
possible, to make everything as transparent as possible, so you can see
where your generous donations are going. I will also be returning to
Nepal next March/April and will visit the village to see for myself the
improvements your money has made. All the money received will focus on
the educational needs of the village.

Between myself and an Austrian charity we will build two new classrooms
and fit them out with desks, shelving, etc.. We will also be purchasing
resources for the school, including science and sports equipment. The
funds will also go towards the ongoing costs for a teachers salary for
the first year. My website will give more details in time. For the
moment though........ A really big 'Thank You'

Steve

Old November 13th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

steve.colligan;1130347 wrote:
We will also be purchasing resources for the school, including science
and sports equipment.

Including a couple of unicycles? Will we be seeing a Nepalese team at
Unicon before long?

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old November 13th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

I arrived home several days ago fit and well, although I'm still trying
desperately to put back on the 10kg (1.5 stone) I lost during the three
weeks of the ride. My appetite is remarkable at the moment and I think
I'm eating for two, but it's still 4kg down.

I spent two days resting in Kathmandu after the big ride, before
heading back into the Himalayas for some fun on my muni. I travelled
North of Kathmandu, by local bus (10 hours), to the Langtang valley. If
you know someone that has taken that bus ride, then please ask them what
they thought of it?!! This was the bus ride from hell!! Crammed in my
little seat at the back of the bus, masses of luggage piled around me
(including a leaking petrol can), no room to move the bottom half of my
body as I was wedged in, people sleeping on my lap (not that I could
actually see my lap) and people being sick around me. The bus was so
full inside with bodies and luggage, that the excess had to travel on
the roof. There were about 30 people and luggage on the already
overloaded bus roof. My rucksack was also on the roof, until the rough
road and poor suspension took its toll and it decided it wanted out! I'm
surprised no one was sitting on it, as that would have stopped it being
bounced off the roof. Nothing was damaged in the pack, it just ended up
very dusty. All this would have been fine, if it wasn't for those road
conditions......... I say road, but what I mean is dirt track/trekking
path. The last five hours, in particular the last hour were VERY VERY
rough. That bus bumped and bounced its way across lots of scary
landslides (over a km drop to the river below) and along seemingless
impossible terrain. The driver must of had night vision also, as the
last hour was in the dark and he didn't put his lights on - or they just
didn't work. Was I scared....... yep!

Anyway, I wasn't going to write in detail about my muni trip up and
down the Lantang valley. I just felt I had to share this with someone.

In brief then....... I spent 10 days riding/walking exploring the
valley. This valley is surrounded by peaks over 6000 metres. One of
which is over 7000 metres. They're all covered in glaciers and snow and
the views are dramatic. Most of the route up the valley isn't ridable,
but there's certainly parts where I could ride.

Once I got towards the end of the valley, the gradient eased off
somewhat, so I could ride more. The fun bit was riding back down the
valley, which in parts was very technical and steep and superb fun.

I started the ride/trek at 1460 metres above sea level and by the time
I got to the highest point in the valley, I was at 5000 metres. Yes
breathing problems again! Riding down technical terrain at that
elevation is certainly a breathing issue, but great fun.

Yes, the riding was great (going down the valley), but just as much fun
was the interaction I had with the local villagers (especially the
kids). Talk about ice-breaker! It seemed like the whole village would
come and see this strange one-wheeled contraption. I lost count of the
number of houses I was invited into for tea and even to sleep. The kids
would follow me, running to keep up at times. They wanted to push, or
carry the uni whenever it was too rough for me to ride. If I had a
Dollar for every photo a foreigner took of me with the unicycle, then we
could build even more classrooms in Tawal!! Maybe not then!

Even though the 10 days in the valley were hard, they were certainly
very relaxing after the extremity of the Lhasa tour. For the last year I
had spent an immeasurable amount of time riding my Coker in training for
the ride. I had missed the thing I enjoy the most, riding down mountains
on my 26" muni - it's soooooo much FUN!!

Oh, the ride back to Kathmandu................. That's yet another
story!

The article on the Lhasa to Kathmandu ride will be in issue 8 of the
Uni Mag, not the issue that's coming out next. I hope you'll enjoy the
article as much as I'll enjoy writing it.

The photo was taken just below the summit of Cherko Ri, Langtang
valley, at 4500m.

Steve

|Filename: P1050384.JPG |

steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
'1000km charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest, on a
Unicycle - Please help support' (http://www.unicyclesteve.com)

1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest steve.colligan Unicycling 60 September 23rd 08 11:59 PM
Barry's Ride. 10, 25 and 50 mile charity ride Rhinebeck, NY Oct 14 Chrashing Unicycling 10 October 17th 07 12:58 AM
Charity Ride Keith Allton UK 0 April 8th 07 08:48 PM
UK: ride up everest? joemarshall Unicycling 6 January 28th 04 04:24 PM
[Texas] Bridgewood Farms "Ride From the Heart" Charity Bike Ride Greg Bretting Rides 0 January 15th 04 05:38 AM