Trek Emonda / Gravel & Rail Trail

Old June 11th 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Trek Emonda / Gravel & Rail Trail

On 2015-06-10 10:58 AM, wrote:
J, go see what

http://www.californiaenduroseries.co...t-2015-season/

I am not riding that had. But close :-)

Yesterday about 18 of the 28 miles were hilly singletrack. In the rain.
Later I stopped at one of my watering holes for a pale ale and a burger.
I was the only one sitting outside at the open air bar, next to my MTB,
in the rain. Fun!

This is my MTB shortly after I bought it:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy.JPG

Now it looks dirty.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 11th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-10 6:34 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 08:07:38 -0700, Joerg

On 2015-06-08 6:30 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 07:46:24 -0700, Joerg

On 2015-06-07 5:32 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

... sometime
later I bought an aluminum bike to keep on the boat and it had seven
speeds and a chain which I oiled infrequently with the results that
the chain became a solid (rusty) contrivance and the bike wouldn't go
any more. Later I bought another aluminum bike that had a nine speed
system with a chain and I oiled the chain fervently with the results
that my right leg used to have oil spots on it.

So I have learned that, apparently, oiling chains is the secret :-)

I have mine on a very rigid and thorough maintenance schedule. The MTB
chain gets cleaned and oiled after every ride. Most of my MTB rides are
30-40 miles. If I push it past 50 miles the chain noise becomes horrid.

Just as an aside, professional riders, say Tour de France, start the
race with a new chain and change chains, perhaps 2 or three times in
2,000 miles :-)

Unfortunately I do not have a sponsor and a support team :-)

Well, yes there is that.

On the other hand winning the Tour is worth something like 2 - 4
million a year in salary and even more in sponsorships. Lance
Armstrong was said to be worth 125 million dollars.

But I can't win the tour on my mountain bike :-)

And now I'm too friggin' old for that anyhow.

A new chain costs, what? I see Shimano Ultegra chains offered for sale
at less than $20.00 :-)

That one needs to be riveted. I prefer the kind that can be opened in an
emergency like when stuff got seriously bent. The KMC X10.93 is around
$25 plus tax. My MTB costs around 20c/mile as it is (and only after
finding better deals on tires) so I don't want to unnecessarily jack
that up again. I also do not think that it is environmentally cool to
toss a chain every 600-1000 miles.

To some extent my MTB is also used for errands and even biz travel. The
tax authorities don't even allow a standard mileage for bicycles which
is what I call discrimination against cyclists.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 11th 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 10:35:16 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
That one needs to be riveted. I prefer the kind that can be opened in an

emergency like when stuff got seriously bent.
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then use a quick-link instead of the Shimano pin.

Cheers
Old June 11th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-11 2:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 10:35:16 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
That one needs to be riveted. I prefer the kind that can be opened in an

emergency like when stuff got seriously bent.
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then use a quick-link instead of the Shimano pin.

That wipes out the cost advantage. The link for the KMC comes with the
chain, no need to buy. And yes, one can open those "one-time links" in
the field with the same kind of tools that the Neanderthals had (a small
rock plus a piece of Manazanita).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 12th 15, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2015-06-11 2:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 10:35:16 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
That one needs to be riveted. I prefer the kind that can be opened in an
emergency like when stuff got seriously bent.
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then use a quick-link instead of the Shimano pin.

That wipes out the cost advantage. The link for the KMC comes with the
chain, no need to buy. And yes, one can open those "one-time links" in
the field with the same kind of tools that the Neanderthals had (a small
rock plus a piece of Manazanita).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

eze Joerg. I've never heard of anyone that has so much trouble with so much of their equipment. Many MTB riders use quick links on the trails. They're not virtually impossible to reopen and/or reuse if you buy the right reuseable one.

Cheers
Old June 12th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

GRIND a small vise-grip into a link holding shape kinda like a curved bird beak...maybe photo.

J should visit 2-3 Enduro events, absorb. I'm sure you're welcome..

Old June 12th 15, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-11 2:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 10:35:16 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
That one needs to be riveted. I prefer the kind that can be
opened in an
emergency like when stuff got seriously bent. Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then use a quick-link instead of the Shimano pin.

That wipes out the cost advantage. The link for the KMC comes with
the chain, no need to buy. And yes, one can open those "one-time
links" in the field with the same kind of tools that the
Neanderthals had (a small rock plus a piece of Manazanita).

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

eze Joerg. I've never heard of anyone that has so much trouble with
so much of their equipment. Many MTB riders use quick links on the
trails. They're not virtually impossible to reopen and/or reuse if
you buy the right reuseable one.

I never had trouble with the chain but have helped others who did.
Having a removable link is a great help if someone went through a major
chain suck and mangled it. But you do not have to buy the $5-7 removable
links because KMC chains already come with a decent chain link (it's
usually included with the chain).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

JOHN WAYNE RAIL TRAIL kolldata Techniques 10 October 18th 11 04:43 PM
Port Fairy Rail Trail (Vic) ray[_2_] Australia 2 May 22nd 11 08:05 AM
rail trail ray Australia 2 April 29th 09 09:21 AM
Rail Trail Management Issues -help Mountain Biking 5 June 17th 05 10:39 PM
Hornsea Rail Trail paul.broadhead3 UK 4 August 28th 04 08:08 PM