end of cars

Old August 8th 05, 09:15 AM
verbluten

Default end of cars

good news guys!!! cars r on the way out!!!
if u have not heard about peak oil, here is an excellent article

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...10&ItemID=8454

Old August 8th 05, 09:34 AM
GPLama

"verbluten" wrote in message ...
good news guys!!! cars r on the way out!!!
if u have not heard about peak oil, here is an excellent article

Grrr... so now I'll have to save up just to oil my chain?

cheers,
GPL

Old August 8th 05, 10:53 AM
Euan

"verbluten" == verbluten writes:

verbluten good news guys!!! cars r on the way out!!! if u have not
verbluten heard about peak oil, here is an excellent article

verbluten http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...10&ItemID=8454

This is good news because?

I don't mean to be flippant but if the theories about peak oil are
correct then we're all in for a really rough ride, something akin to the
depression of the thirties.

Unless of course someone finds a sustainable energy source.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old August 8th 05, 11:13 AM
cfsmtb

verbluten Wrote:
good news guys!!! cars r on the way out!!!
if u have not heard about peak oil, here is an excellent article

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...10&ItemID=8454

Yippee, and what shall we replace them with? Flippancy aside, Australi
better start that mass conversation to natural gas real soon. And fin
alternative to all those *extremely useful* petrochemical products w
ALL rely upon. Peak oil is still a theory, and even if it proves true
the demise of car culture is nothing to to really get excited about. W
will all suffer, unless respective multinational corporates
governments pull digit out of orifice.

Further cheery reading:
http://www.dieoff.com/
http://www.peakoil.com/
http://www.hubbertpeak.com

--
cfsmtb

Old August 8th 05, 06:44 PM
endroll

cfsmtb Wrote:
Yippee, and what shall we replace them all with? Flippancy aside
Australia better start that mass conversion to natural gas in the nex
5-10 years. And find viable alternatives to all those *extremel
useful* petrochemical products we ALL rely upon. Peak oil is still
theory, and even if it proves true, the demise of car culture i
nothing to to really get excited about. We will all suffer, unles
respective multinational corporations & governments pull digits out o
respective orifices

Further cheery reading
http://www.dieoff.com/
http://www.peakoil.com/
http://www.hubbertpeak.com/

It will be interesting to see what happens to international travel
pedalling passengers a la flintstones? cool - instant recumben
training and no more DVT

:eek

--
endroll

Old August 9th 05, 01:50 AM
Sir Lex

verbluten wrote:
good news guys!!! cars r on the way out!!!
if u have not heard about peak oil, here is an excellent article

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...10&ItemID=8454

I didn't read the whole article, I'm too tired :-)

Petrol prices would have to reach insane levels before the car would
disappear entirely, and even then they'd only disappear until a
different type of motor was produced.

Those in the UK are currently experiencing fun prices of roughly 86.9
p/L, or AU$2.02 per litre. When I was over there 12 months ago, the
price was 79.9 p/L.

The average car in Aus is your typical commodore or falcon. The average
cars over there are toyota echo's, corollas, and other similar sized
cars from various brands. Cars will not disappear, they will just get
smaller and smaller.

As petrol prices get higher and higher, our cars will just get smaller
and smaller. Diesel will start to become a more viable option (I'd say
around half of all cars in the UK were diesels, even the new Toyota
Echo/Yaris had a diesel engine option.) and motorbikes and bicycles :-)
will become more attractive for commuting. Basically, people will have
to get smarter when it comes to transporting themselves.

Once petrol is pretty much obsolete in a few decades, fully electric
cars and hydrogen cell cars will no doubt be well and truly available to
the general public.

--
SL

"The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over
to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they
succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it"

Joseph Goebbels - Nazi Minister of Propaganda, 1933 - 1945
Old August 13th 05, 11:27 AM
Katharine & Paul

Petrol has been rising for years.

Aussies in this time bought more and more gas-guzzling off-road trucks (also
known as 4wd's). Sales of v8 Commodores and Falcons boomed.
Remember the 80's when Ford dumped the V8, and the only reason why Holden
didnt was to keep Peter Brock going at Bathurst.

It will take a bigger economic crash to make Aussies change their ways.

Diesel isnt much of an alternative when it costs more in Australia. Diesel
is more common in Europe because it isnt taxed as much as petrol, and is
therefore cheaper than petrol.

Paul