Great Sand Dunes tour

Old November 8th 05, 09:20 PM
aspenmike

Default Great Sand Dunes tour

I was fortunate last week to have a few hours to coker tour the Great
Sand Dunes in the San Luis Valley. I have solar work that takes me to
some incredible places, so I always try to throw a MUni or Coker into
the truck. This time it worked out great for me, as my work finished
early. I have driven by this place many times before, and have played
in the dune fields before with my family. This time I had two hours to
get in a Coker ride so I parked the truck about 10 miles from the
visitor center and pedaled away. I had no real gear with me besides the
Coker, so I carried a water bottle and camera, and rode with my work
clothes. The weather was fantastic, 50 degree's F, with a pretty good
SW wind. The skies were Colorado blue, and I had the road to myself.
This was an out and back trip with very little elevation change.
The Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park is nestled against the rugged
Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and is the magnificent centerpiece of a
natural system that includes high mountain peaks, (4-14ers ) sparkling
streams, powerful winds, and -of couse- billions of grains of sand. The
huge dunes-tallest in North America-compise only 11 percent of the 330
square mile park. The tallest dune is 750' tall.
As I spun towards the park entrance the spectacular dunes kept
getting closer and closer. The afternoon shadows being cast upon the
dune fields by the many ridges where quite a site. One doesnt see the
complexity of the dunefields until you get close and the lighting gets
just right. I had to stop and take a couple of pictures as it was to
much to just ride and look. As I neared the visitor center building, I
noticed that there was a small crowd outside. Sure enough, they were
waiting for me to arrive, and had the door open for me. I pedaled right
into the building and immediately had a 20 minute Q & A session. The
rangers were very interested in the "Coker" and unicycling in general.
This was a pleasant suprise from my last National Park experiance. The
dunes from the visitor center are totally encompassing and inspiring. I
wanted to go run to the top of the highest one, but did not have the
time.
I mounted and spun back to the truck feeling really good. Even
though the ride was not Epic, it was still a wonderful life experience
to have. All of the people that I met were very interesting, and I
think that I had a positive influence on their day. Being in a
spectacular place and then seeing something very unique like someone
unicycling on the open road in the middle of no where is cool! What a
difference two hours on a Coker, or just doing something fun outside,
can make on a persons attitude. Cheers.

|Filename: Great sand dunes photo's001.JPG |

aspenmike
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old November 9th 05, 12:14 AM
gbarnes

Thanks for posting this, Mike. Great pictures!

I have plans to get down to the the dunes this fall with my Surly
Endomorph 26x3.7" uni... did the rangers mention anything about
allowing unicycles on the sand? I know you can ski the dunes...

The Sangres are definitely one of my favorite ranges, second only to
the San Juans.

You rode right past the turn off for the infamous "Lake Como" road,
supposedly the toughest 4x4 road in N. America. I think it'd be a
pretty fun muni trip, especially if you could get someone to carry your
gear.

[image:
http://www.gb4mfg.com/mtn/trip_repor.../P1010101.jpg]

--
gbarnes

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

Old November 9th 05, 12:16 AM
Catboy

'I take it you haven't read this...'
(http://unicycling.com/things/index.htm)

Sweet riding though.

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
Gallery Updated: 10/17/05

*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (Click Me)'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43900)*

Old November 9th 05, 01:55 AM
aspenmike

Catboy wrote:
'I take it you haven't read this...'
(http://unicycling.com/things/index.htm)

I think that you could ride these dunes WITHOUT trashing your uni. I
have snowboarded down them and hiked them, and most of them have a
pretty hard surface to them. I think the fat surly would stay on top
pretty well. It is a wilderness area, so I don't know if they would
allow you to ride them. The most fun time to be there is on a full
moon, which you could ride, ski, or snowboard naked if you wanted to.

Sweet riding though.

Thanks for posting this, Mike. Great pictures!

I have plans to get down to the the dunes this fall with my Surly
Endomorph 26x3.7" uni... did the rangers mention anything about
allowing unicycles on the sand? I know you can ski the dunes...

The Sangres are definitely one of my favorite ranges, second only to
the San Juans.

The Sangres are really impressive, as you know, and make for a great
backdrop with dunes. I didnt ask the rangers about riding the dunes, I
think you might have to be stealth or go on a full moon. The tall
ranger was very interested: I can drop his email to you if you would
like. He was impressed with the GB4 36er, he is an avid bicyclist.

|Filename: Great sand dunes photo's003.JPG |

Old November 9th 05, 04:08 AM
abbabibble

just makes me wanna buy a coker too... and my grandparents live right
down around there...

gee i wish i had about $1000 extra spending cash...

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS TODAY!!!
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old November 9th 05, 11:04 AM
Tmornstar

Mike, you're killin' me, man!

Your stories and photos always spin my attention and imagination to
those beautiful skies and mountains.

Keep 'em comin'!

Tommy

--