Clicking when rear Shimano 600 brake is used?

Old June 9th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Clicking when rear Shimano 600 brake is used?

Whenever I use the rear N600 Shimano single-pivot brake I get a clicking sound. I checked the tighteness of the mounting bolt and the brake pad holders. The harder the brake is apllied the louder tthe clicking is. Any ideas what's causing this?

Cheers
Old June 9th 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 09/06/2015 2:00 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whenever I use the rear N600 Shimano single-pivot brake I get a clicking sound. I checked the tighteness of the mounting bolt and the brake pad holders. The harder the brake is apllied the louder tthe clicking is. Any ideas what's causing this?

Cheers

Depends on what you mean but I've had a sort of ticking sound from a
brake when there was a pit or something on my rim. Usually a rub down
with a wet stone helped.

If you have the bike on a rack and spin the wheel with the brake pressed
can you reproduce the sound?
Old June 9th 15, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/9/2015 1:06 PM, Duane wrote:
On 09/06/2015 2:00 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whenever I use the rear N600 Shimano single-pivot brake I
get a clicking sound. I checked the tighteness of the
mounting bolt and the brake pad holders. The harder the
brake is apllied the louder tthe clicking is. Any ideas
what's causing this?

Cheers

Depends on what you mean but I've had a sort of ticking
sound from a brake when there was a pit or something on my
rim. Usually a rub down with a wet stone helped.

If you have the bike on a rack and spin the wheel with the
brake pressed can you reproduce the sound?

Yes, good probability it's a rim blemish. Also see if the
arms move fore/aft from a loose centerbolt adjustment.

On the 6207 series caliper that's adjusted off the bike.
Flip the spring up out of the way, taking care not to fling
the nylon slides across the room. Oil pivots and adjust for
smooth operation with no play, lock it and then flip the
spring back into place.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 9th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-09 11:00 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whenever I use the rear N600 Shimano single-pivot brake I get a
clicking sound. I checked the tighteness of the mounting bolt and the
brake pad holders. The harder the brake is apllied the louder tthe
clicking is. Any ideas what's causing this?

If you have a spare rear wheel try with that one. If the clicking is now
gone chances are that your rim is about to go kablouie. Don't let it get
to that point, a relative did but luckily nothing bad happened except
for a loud kaboom.

I have Shimano 600 brakes on my road bike and they have never made any
noises. Except for the rubbery PHSEEEEEEEE from the front when I have to
brake hard.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 9th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2015-06-09 11:00 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whenever I use the rear N600 Shimano single-pivot brake I get a
clicking sound. I checked the tighteness of the mounting bolt and the
brake pad holders. The harder the brake is apllied the louder tthe
clicking is. Any ideas what's causing this?

If you have a spare rear wheel try with that one. If the clicking is now
gone chances are that your rim is about to go kablouie. Don't let it get
to that point, a relative did but luckily nothing bad happened except
for a loud kaboom.

You get a lot of that kablouie stuff don't you? lol. My bet would be
an easily repaired blemish on the rim or a brake adjustment as Andrew
suggested.

Old June 9th 15, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 2:40:22 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/9/2015 1:06 PM, Duane wrote:
[...]

ehhehyayyayya eeeyo those 6207 drive you NHU83hs crzy...

a small steel chunk embedded in the aluminum, if SR uses aluminum rims...?

different reflective surface like Ceres

how does a small... ? I dunno. maybe from Mars
Old June 10th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 6/9/2015 1:06 PM, Duane wrote:
[...]

Most of your posts come with a "Transkate thiss message to English?" tag. It'd be nice if you'd a least make some effort to be sensible in your posts.

Cheers
Old June 10th 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/9/2015 1:06 PM, Duane wrote:
[...]

Philistine! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

FA - Shimano R600 Long Reach Rear Brake Andy Marketplace 0 March 31st 07 01:55 AM
FA PROMAX SHIMANO V-BRAKE BRAKES PAIR FRONT & REAR MO UK 0 March 5th 06 11:58 AM
fS: Shimano Exage brake levers, 600 front derailleur, Suntour Sprint rear deraileur Andrew Karre Marketplace 0 June 4th 05 05:22 AM
Rear wheel clicking Eric Nolan UK 10 June 11th 04 07:18 PM
Campy Xenon Brake/shifters levers with Shimano 7 speed Exage rear wheel Peter Techniques 6 April 25th 04 02:44 PM