Habanero shows up curved stays

Old April 16th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bogey posters

On 2017-04-14 20:03, John B Slocomb wrote:

-snipalot-

360 more people riding bicycles occasionally, out of 75000.
Does that really sound impressive to you? I think you could
get the same increase if, say, two Kardashians decided to
get photographed on bikes.

-snip-

Kardashian? pfffft.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bogey.jpg

Nice! And allow me to shift topics radically. (Sorry, Sir Ridesalot!)

As it happens, our club does a weekly ride starting and ending at
Bogey's Tavern, followed by lunch and suds. The inside of the tavern
features posters from Humphrey Bogart's various movies, plus other Bogey
decorations.

I saw that photo online as well as this one:
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/...rey-bogart.jpg
and I thought "We should donate one as a poster for the restaurant."
But the images I find online are pretty low resolution. I doubt they'll
blow up to roughly 24" x 36" to match the others already on the walls.
And I've been unable to find a source that sells them.

Any tips?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 16th 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Habanero shows up curved stays

On 4/15/2017 5:33 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 16:23:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Kardashian? pfffft.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bogey.jpg

579 more famous bike riders:
https://www.pinterest.com/MIchaelPucci/famous-bike-riders/

Tsk! No helmets.

If I ride a bicycle, will I become famous?

Hmm. How well has it worked so far?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 16th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:25:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-14 20:03, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 07:15:49 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-13 16:19, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:37:11 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On April 13, 2017, jbeattie wrote:

- snip snippy snip-
I so wish someone would offer an o-ringed bike chain. To
hell with efficiency and all that, I just want to ride and
not start hearing squeaks after every little rain.

I am not an expert but a quick perusal of motorcycle chain
seems to
indicate that o-ring 1/2" pitch chain exists. For any
single speed or
internal gearbox setup, a wider chain would work just fine
as long as
it's 1/2".

Unfortunately my bikes are all derailer types, two with
7-speed and one 10-speed (but that could be "downgraded"). I
really don't want to spend 1.5 kilobucks on a Rohloff.

There will never be an o-ring derailleur chain, requirements for those
two formats being diametrically opposed.

Never say never. That's what people told us with intravascular
ultrasound and then we made it happen. Even HP had thrown in the towel.

Regarding getting sideways-moving or bending things to seal one of the
pioneers was Andre Citroen. Folks said that front wheel drive is a
stupid idea because of the steering, that it would never last, yet he
and his engineers did it. Despite the fact that back then they did not
have all the moderns silicone materials and other stuff that we take for
granted. Unfortunately he died from cancer at a young age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-...tion_avant.jpg

I had its tiny little brother when I was young. The technology in there
was simple but amazing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0288067%29.jpg

I hate to disagree but the first front wheel drive "automobile" seems
to be sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette
with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the
vehicle, powering the front axle.

Then we have the French manufacturer Société Parisienne patented, in
1898/9, their front-wheel drive articulated vehicle concept which they
manufactured as a Victoria Combination.

Ad then we have J. Walter Christie of the United States who patented a
design for a front-wheel-drive car, the first prototype of which he
built in 1904. He promoted and demonstrated the vehicle by racing at
various speedways in the United States, and even competed in the 1906
Vanderbilt Cup and the French Grand Prix. In 1912

And then we have the supercharged Alvis 12/50 racing car designed by
George Thomas Smith-Clarke and William M. Dunn of Alvis Cars of the
United Kingdom in 1925.

Oh yes, there was the Miller 122 front-wheel-drive racecar that was
entered in the 1925 Indianapolis 500.

And of course, in 1929. The BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company)
produced the unique front-wheel-drive BSA three-wheeler. Production
continued until 1936.

In 1931 the DKW F1 from Germany made its debut. Buckminster Fuller
adopted rear-engine, front wheel drive for his three Dymaxion Car
prototypes. Other German car producers followed: Stoewer offered a car
with front-wheel drive in 1931, Adler in 1932 and Audi in 1933.

And, finally, in 1934, the very successful Traction Avant cars were
introduced by Citroën of France.

Some 40 years after the first front wheel drive automobile

I didn't say he invented front-wheel drive. What he did was engineer a
solution that would finally fix the main reliability issues with front
wheel drive. To me a lot of importance is in the achievement of truly
"reducing a method to practice", not just inventing something nice but
actually making it last.

The DKW was the first true series production front-wheel drive car.
Still, only 4000 were made in total. Not much to write home about.
Citroen made way more than twice than many. Per year, except when German
bombers flattened parts of the plant. Many of those are still rolling on
the streets today.

http://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasi...-63351581.html

In the 80's and 90's I have seen some of them in France that were
clearly used for transportation and not as collector's cars. Dull paint,
lots of dents, untreated corrosion, worn out seats, smoking engines.

I was remarking on your statement: "one of the
pioneers was Andre Citroen. Folks said that front wheel drive is a
stupid idea because of the steering, that it would never last, yet he
and his engineers did it."

He wasn't a pioneer, he was, in automobile terms, a late comer to the
front drive playing ground..
Old April 16th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On 2017-04-14 20:03, John B Slocomb wrote:

When I first lived in Japan shortly after the war there was hardly any
economy at all. The average bloke's problem was how to get enough to
eat. People actually legally sold their daughters. (I can remember the
news paper announcement when the Diet (legislature) pass the bill
outlawing the practice) When I first came to Thailand people were
working for room, board and a new set of clothes on New Years.

That was similar in Europe after WW-II. Then the German
"Wirtschaftswunder" happened, micro cars came about and bicycles ended
in the Garage collecting dust. Not so in the Netherlands and Denmark
because they kept up a nice bike path system. I lived in the Netherlands
and in Germany. The population is roughly similar from their habits,
work ethics, prosperity and so on.

The historic bicycle culture of the two countries was very different.
The Netherlands was famous for its bike culture; there are photos and
videos showing huge crowds of cyclists in Netherlands (as well as
Copenhagen) during the 1920s and 1930s, before any significant building
of bike paths. It was this deep reservoir of bike culture that allowed
spending tax money on facilities. From all that I've been able to tell,
Germany was much different.

You've got the cart before the horse. Holland, and most of Western
Europe for that matter, in the late 19th and early 20th century, were
relative poor countries in the terms of the average working man's
salary and there were no $300 dollar automobiles.

In fact you can compare the U.S. and Western Europe. In the late 19th
and early 20th century both regions had a tremendous boom in the use
of bicycles.

But for various economic and cultural reasons the salary of the
working man in the U.S. increased at a tremendous rate when compared
to W. Europe and of course Henry came along with the crazy idea that
he could make a car that one of his employees could buy.

As a result W. European countries and cities gave considerable thought
to the bicycle a transportation device while in the U.S. bicycles were
essentially ignored, as the "average man" didn't aspire to owning a
bicycle. No! He wanted a Ford. My father had a car when he went to
collage in the 1920's. and he certainly didn't come from a wealthy
family.

But it wasn't a culture in the usual sense, it was a matter of hard
cold fact. The average guy can't own a car so he/she must either walk
or ride a bicycle. So the government has to make some, at least token,
effort to accommodate them.

Post WW II the same circumstances prevailed. While the U.S. was
building the freeways across the country W.Europe was building bike
paths.

In short the comparison of a country who's citizens live in a luxury
that cannot even be imagined by most of the world with a small and
relatively, in U.S. terms, improvised country, is ludicrous.

If you really want to see an explosion in bicycle use it is easy.
Establish the minimum wage as $1.00 and hour and enforce the law.
You'll be waste deep in bicycles in no time :-)

Old April 16th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 08:26:57 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-14 20:03, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 07:37:16 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-13 19:20, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 07:22:31 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-12 18:32, John B Slocomb wrote:

[...]

Why, simply because you are riding a bicycle, do you believe that the
tax payers of your state/city.town should be burdened with the cost of
building an infrastructure for your private use?

Some (few) politicians have the smarts to see that this will foster a
healthier community because then lots of people start cycling. I ride
here despite a lack of infrastructure but the vast majority of potential
cyclists does not. Even seasoned road bikers don't, they cart their bike
to the valley and ride there. Of course, this requires smart enough
local leaders which we don't have.

You must smoke funny cigarettes, or something.

In every society I have lived in or have read about, people strive for
an easier life style as the eco,nomy grows and one has greater income.
China, for example, the swarms of bicycles that existed 20 years ago
are no longer there. I've lived in several developing countries and
in every one as the economy developed and people became more affluent
bicycle use decreased,

That is because the government there has adopted something similar to
what the Hungarian called "goulash-communism". Almost laissez-faire
style on a local level. Now they finally realize that some of this was a
mistake. As evidenced by events like where a pilot of a business jet
needed three attempts to land in Beijing because of dense fog, only to
find out that this wasn't fog when he stepped out of his aircraft and
almost coughed his lungs out.

When I first lived in Japan shortly after the war there was hardly any
economy at all. The average bloke's problem was how to get enough to
eat. People actually legally sold their daughters. (I can remember the
news paper announcement when the Diet (legislature) pass the bill
outlawing the practice) When I first came to Thailand people were
working for room, board and a new set of clothes on New Years.

That was similar in Europe after WW-II. Then the German
"Wirtschaftswunder" happened, micro cars came about and bicycles ended
in the Garage collecting dust. Not so in the Netherlands and Denmark
because they kept up a nice bike path system. I lived in the Netherlands
and in Germany. The population is roughly similar from their habits,
work ethics, prosperity and so on. Yet the mode share difference is
huge. I know why. Every time I cycled from the Netherlands across the
then still exisiting border into Germany I was reminded of the reason.
Frank will never believe it but it's true.

A classic case happened during my school days. They built a nice big
segregated bike path from the city where I lived to another where my
high school was. About five miles away. This caused lots of kids to no
longer buy monthly passes for the commuter bus and cycle instead. Rain,
shine, snow, sleet, no matter. What a tremendous health benefit.

The government's efforts was toward getting enough business to support
the population.

Which is exactly what happened in China with your "can't land due to
the smog" incident. They literally had to built an industry to
increase income of the population. Remember China is a country that
well within living memory people in the countryside starved to death.

Yeah. I sometimes wonderful how much better they'd be off if Mao hadn't
happened.

Whether it was Mao or another guy some sort of revolution would have
had to occur. The country was in such a horrible condition, lets be
honest largely to European and U.S. intervention, that something had
to happen. Unfortunately those we called "the good guys" weren't :-)

Old April 16th 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 19:05:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2017 5:33 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 16:23:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Kardashian? pfffft.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bogey.jpg

579 more famous bike riders:
https://www.pinterest.com/MIchaelPucci/famous-bike-riders/

Tsk! No helmets.

Famous people don't wear helmets because it interferes with taking the
publicity photos. Besides, would you want to see a movie star with a
bad case of helmet hair? Incidentally, a few of the 579 photos look
like they were stages and the famous person probably didn't know how
to ride the bicycle.

If I ride a bicycle, will I become famous?

Hmm. How well has it worked so far?

Badly. I didn't see my picture among the other famous riders.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 16th 17, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 19:00:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I saw that photo online as well as this one:
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/...rey-bogart.jpg

Hmmm... no cuff clips, no dirt on the tires, no grime on the hubs or
spokes. Ok, the photo was staged for the camera. I wouldn't expect
much reality in a catalog photo.

and I thought "We should donate one as a poster for the restaurant."
But the images I find online are pretty low resolution. I doubt they'll
blow up to roughly 24" x 36" to match the others already on the walls.
And I've been unable to find a source that sells them.

Any tips?

For reverse image search, I usually use:
https://www.tineye.com
Just plug the URL of the image into the search box. The largest image
is often the original source.

Google Image Search also does this now, but I don't have much
experience using it.
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en
Other than one thumbnail, neither search found anything identical or
similar to your photo. Sorry.

More 1946 famous people on bicycles:
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1946.html
and more Schwinn catalogs:

Old April 16th 17, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B Slocomb wrote:

If you really want to see an explosion in bicycle use it is easy.
Establish the minimum wage as $1.00 and hour and enforce the law.

Causation? Removing the decimal point might be as likely to do the trick.
Just compare bicycle use in the Netherlands vs. Bulgaria!

You'll be waste deep in bicycles in no time :-)

^^^
Correct, unimpeded by higher-than market-set, jobs-limiting, do-gooder wage
rates, the economy would bomm, become hugely competitive internationally,
and people would be rapidly scrapping their mules and bicycles for Dacias
and Skodas!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage
Old April 16th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

As I said, with "did it" I meant he made it truly work. Would good does
a technology do if there is no meaningful production volume behind it or
it breaks down all the time? Then it's usually just another pie in the sky.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 16th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

AMuzi wrote in news
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/bogey.jpg

A brave man--no trouser clip.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Curved Spine from trials lpounds Unicycling 12 August 26th 08 06:54 PM
Triangular curved spokes! [email protected] Techniques 0 May 23rd 07 06:52 AM
Curved seat stays Nobody Techniques 16 May 8th 05 11:35 AM
curved bmx seatpost on a coker teachndad Unicycling 0 January 31st 05 07:49 AM
curved or straight frames? Worminton Unicycling 16 July 18th 04 01:18 PM