Trek 4600?

Old May 21st 04, 11:38 PM

Default Trek 4600?

My local bike shop says the 4500 has been discontinued and is been
replaced by the 4600, yet I can't find any information about this
4600. Has anyone heard about the 4600?
Old May 22nd 04, 04:52 PM
Jerry Bone Jr

All of the 4000 series are basically the same. Only the components differ.

Old June 13th 04, 07:00 AM
mortgmaker

nospambike wrote:
My local bike shop says the 4500 has been discontinued and is been
replaced by the 4600, yet I can't find any information about this 4600.
Has anyone heard about the 4600?

The 4600 isn't really a replacement to the 4500. The 4500 is low in
supply because of it's popularity and also because most bike
manufacturers are selling Shimano equipped bikes faster than Shimano can
keep up with demand. The 4600 is identical to the 4500 except that it
has SRAM components and has different paint. Personally, I have seen
both first hand and I like the paint on the 4600 better. I'm buying the
4600 tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it.

Old June 14th 04, 06:40 PM
BC

I picked up my 4600 the Friday before Memorial Day. Really like it, this is
my first "real" MB.

After riding a Wal-Mart bike for the last few weeks, what a difference. I
have only missed one day riding it because of 40 mph gusts and rain.

"Bonehenge" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:00:38 GMT, mortgmaker
wrote:

The 4600 is identical to the 4500 except that it
has SRAM components and has different paint.

I sold my first 4600 Thursday, and it's got a very nice spec for the
price.

Barry

Old June 16th 04, 05:15 AM
mortgmaker

mortgmaker wrote:
The 4600 isn't really a replacement to the 4500. The 4500 is low in
supply because of it's popularity and also because most bike
manufacturers are selling Shimano equipped bikes faster than Shimano can
keep up with demand. The 4600 is identical to the 4500 except that it
has SRAM components and has different paint. Personally, I have seen
both first hand and I like the paint on the 4600 better. I'm buying the
4600 tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it.

Okay, I lied. I went to look at (and buy) the 4600 and the salespeople
were too bust jabbering with each other and listening to their music, so
I left. I went to another bike shop and they pointed out the differences
between the 4500 and the 4600, mainly in the shifters. I liked the
Shimano components on the 4500 better than the SRAM components on the
4600, even though the 4600 is a 9 speed rear (27 speed overall) and the
4500 is a 5 speed rear (24 speed overall). I bought the 4500 even though
they had to order it, I'll likely see the bike by the weekend. For the
money, if you can still find a 4500 in your size, buy that...but if you
like SRAM, or if the components don't really matter much, the 4600 is a
sweet sweet looking ride!