6'7 guy needs help looking for a road bike for a 585 Mile 6DayCharity Bike Ride

Old February 11th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default 6'7 guy needs help looking for a road bike for a 585 Mile 6DayCharity Bike Ride

On 11 Feb, 07:47, Chalo wrote:
Peter *Meilstrup wrote:

Chalo wrote:

I'm with you. *But until threadless stems are made with lots of rise,
quills are the thing for many extra-tall riders. *Threadless forks
only come so long, and a tall frame often maxes them out before a
stack of spacers can be added. *Generally available threadless stems
are of no help in such a situation. *That leaves HeadsUp, high-rise
bars, a dummy stem clamp plus 1-1/8" quill stem, or a custom stem.
These solutions are variously hokey, weak, inconvenient, or
expensive.

Yeah. If threadless stems are made at 90 degree angles in lengths up
to 140mm, then geometrically speaking a stem with 30degree rise, say,
ought to be made up to 170mm to keep the same distance from steering
axis to bar clamp. But instead the riser stems max out shorter than
the flat stems. Tall riders need more rise _and_ more reach.

That's true-- and if the handlebars in them feature drop and/or
pullback, the stem may have to be even taller or longer to
accommodate. *Here's a stem I made to resolve a fit issue:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8pxqMHNBvlg/SL...L0/9cSgoUa_xIw...

Note that if you interpolate a traditional 70 degree road bike stem
with its handlebar clamp plumb underneath the one on my custom stem,
the length is not unusual.

You should think of doing a production run.
Old February 11th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 10, 10:08*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

On Feb 10, 3:29 pm, Tom Sherman °_°

wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 10-2-2010 22:18, Peter Cole schreef:
Paul wrote:

I wouldn't be too discouraged by the naysayers. If you're reasonably
fit
and can get in some longish training rides beforehand, you should be
able to do it.

Is it do able? Sure. Is it fun to do? I doubt it. Should it be fun? I
think so. The victims of the good cause won't be helped if someone else
suffers. There is some stupid idea that charity rides should be hard and
extreme to attract attention in order to raise money. We see that all
the time here. Bloody nonsense in my opinion.[...]

Sheldon has spoken: http://sheldonbrown.com/thons.html.

==========
But I think he misses the point. *"Thons" ARE supposed to make you
miserable. They are endless variations on "They Shoot Horses, Don't
They?" *And without misery and suffering, we have nothing much to talk
about. *"Hey, I went a lovely ride that was not brutal or epic."
Snore. Won't get chicks with those stories. --Jay Beattie.
==========

There are plenty of people for whom pushing their physical limits ends up
being little more than... pushing limits. Many people have amazing
capabilities that they've simply never explored. They get out on what some
might consider an "epic" ride and discover that there's an as-yet untamed
something inside of them, waiting to get out.

Also, comparing them to events that are designed intentionally to elicit
pain & suffering is misleading. The dance contests were designed as an
audience spectacle, a Roman Circus. There is no such feeling for the various
benefit rides. Mainly because there are no spectators.

It's up to the individual to decide how to approach *any* physical endeavor.
If you're of the mindset of "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger"
then you'll go to bed each night feeling good about your sore muscles and
look forward to doing it again. But nobody is forcing people to approach it
that way, and generally there's not a cult-like mentality that says you
either go the distance or you're cast out. I have customers who are
initially scared of what they're getting themselves into, but come back from
it (whatever "it" is) saying it wasn't nearly as tough as they thought it
would be.

Didn't you watch the Jerry Lewis MDA telethons? That dude was
exhausted by the end, sweating, tux all disheveled, pleading with the
audience to let him go home. That's a "thon." "Thon" is obviously
from "Marathon" -- meaning an impossibly long race at the end of
which you declare victory and then die, assuming you are Greek.
Anything that does not produce some injury or death does not amount to
a "thon." It is merely a charity event or a "fest" which is entirely
different from a "thon." We should not confuse "fests" and "thons."
There is a difference between a "love-fest" and a "love-a-thon" for
example. People who participate in true "thons" should be prepared to
suffer sooner or later, and if they do not suffer, then they are not
trying hard enough and are merely "fest-ing." -- Jay Beattie.

Old February 11th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Paul wrote:

I wouldn't be too discouraged by the naysayers. If you're reasonably fit
and can get in some longish training rides beforehand, you should be
able to do it.

Is it do able? Sure. Is it fun to do? I doubt it. Should it be fun? I
think so. The victims of the good cause won't be helped if someone
else suffers. There is some stupid idea that charity rides should be
hard and extreme to attract attention in order to raise money. We see
that all the time here. Bloody nonsense in my opinion.

Perhaps, but the OP wasn't asking for opinions on charity rides.

I think I gave the OP good advice and what I said about charity rides in
general is an extra and indeed my personal opinion. It's not charity
rides that upsets me, but the idea that people are only willing to spend
money when such an event is organized. It makes me scratch the back of
my head wondering how sincere those gifts are.
After the earthquake in Haiti a Dutch charity organisation opened a
bankaccount were you could donate your gift to help the Haiti people.
The response in the first week was very poor. It was only after the TV
networks organized a big TV show with celebrities and politicians when
the people start donating big time. Watching those shows make me
obnoxious. YMMV.

Lou
Old February 11th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 11-2-2010 20:35, * Still Just Me * schreef:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:48:31 +0100, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Watching those shows make me
obnoxious. YMMV.

I'm not sure, but I think you meant something else.

I meant was they make me ehhh...sad to put is nice.

Lou
Old February 11th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

* Still Just Me * wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think you meant something else.

maybe 'weerzinwekkende' or something

English isn't Lou's first language but his sentiment was
clear in context.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 11th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

* Still Just Me * wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think you meant something else.

maybe 'weerzinwekkende' or something

Almost Andrew, 'misselijkmakend' is the correct Dutch word.

English isn't Lou's first language but his sentiment was clear in context.

Thanks Andrew.

Lou
Old February 11th 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

*wrote:

Watching those shows make me
obnoxious. YMMV.

I'm not sure, but I think you meant something else.

I meant was they make me ehhh...sad to put is nice.

Lou

I understood you to mean that such shows are misselijk-makend, in
English that they are nauseous, that you are nauseated by them. A show
that makes you want to vomit is by definition obnoxious as well! But
you are not the obnoxious one here...

Your English is excellent, otherwise I wouldn't correct this small
slip.

Andre Jute
Now that's what you get for being able at three years of age to read
the comics in six languages -- you grow up to be smartarse in many
languages
Old February 11th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

* Still Just Me * wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think you meant something else.

maybe 'weerzinwekkende' or something

English isn't Lou's first language but his sentiment was
clear in context.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yes, I did at first write to Lou that perhaps "I find such shows
repugnant," would be superior, but "weerzin-wekkende" also has the
meaning in Dutch of "repulsive" which lacks the moral outrage of
"repugnant" or the more vernacular sick-making implications of the
Dutch for *nauseating*, which is "misselijk-makend".

Not that "weerzin-wekkende" isn't a good word in the context of a show
that tries moral blackmail by show biz celebrities to make you give,
give, give -- a literal translation would be that the show creates
resistance to compliance!

Andre Jute
Who're you calling a hair-splitter, punk?
Old February 12th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

* Still Just Me * wrote:

[...]

I think you got my message. Still Just Me didn't offend me at all.
We can all leave it now. I just don't need a bloody soap star, pop star
or TV bimbo to tell me I should support the people of Haiti after what
has happened and I don't need someone to ride his balls of in a charity
ride for whatever good cause that I think should be supported either.

Lou
Old February 12th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 11, 1:10*am, Lou Holtman wrote:

(whoops, I blew the attribution while trimming, apologies):
I wouldn't be too discouraged by the naysayers. If you're reasonably fit
and can get in some longish training rides beforehand, you should be
able to do it.

Is it do able? Sure. Is it fun to do? I doubt it. Should it be fun? I
think so. The victims of the good cause won't be helped if someone
else suffers. There is some stupid idea that charity rides should be
hard and extreme to attract attention in order to raise money. We see
that all the time here. Bloody nonsense in my opinion.[...]

(Lou responded):
Sheldon has spoken: http://sheldonbrown.com/thons.html.

I wise man.

I don't see anything wrong with the hundred mile ride as a goal. There
will be pain and suffering for an untrained person. I still remember
my first Century, in 1977, for instance. A personal victory, an
accomplishment that subsequent days of going much further and faster
did not tarnish in the least.

Not a "thon" exactly, but there is a local event, the Danskins
Triathlon, that brings many-- and I mean many-- new cyclists into the
sport, and not all are female, either.

Go and ride one of the thons or any group ride here in Austin in the
weeks and months leading up to the Danskins, you will see all kinds of
women (and at least a few men) who are obviously new to the sport,
obviously challenged. And obviously gettin' with it, big time.

I think some people forget being a beginner. I haven't yet g.

As always, Sheldon has a point, but this time, in my humble opinion,
not the final word. For instance, "the good" a thon might do includes
"spreading the word", as with the Lance Armstrong Foundation's various
events, including rides, which in a big way helped bring testicular
cancer into public awareness. "Yeah, guys, you're supposed to do
regular self-exams for this stuff" g. When did you ever hear about
testicular cancer before LAF? "Breast cancer" used to be two dirty
words in a row. Thons have helped change that.

The OP isn't a cyclist now, doesn't want to become one (at this point,
anyhow). I advised him not to enter this event on that basis.
For others, those who are interested in cycling as a sport, hobby,
avocation (as in "minor occupation"), whatever, that's a different
ball game.
If for no other reason than it's going to take some dedication and the
necessary motivation to "get ready" for not just one Century, but six
in a row (or plenty close to it), and if you don't love the sport (to
some extent, at least g) to start with, that's not a great place to
get started from.

Hey OP Paul: still with us?
--D-y