AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old June 10th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Scraping the notes

At the bottom of the first page of my notes on Tue 4 June 2019: "AG:
overtaken stop pedal".

At the time, that was enough to remind me of what I meant to write
about being overtaken by a larger vehicle, but right now all I can
remember is that it's often a good idea to stop pedalling once it's on
your left so as to shorten the time spent beside it.

There's a lot more to it, but it's pushing bedtime and I'm not very
bright. Perhaps I'll open my training diary and transcribe the notes
that have been accumulating for a couple of months.

At least I've been geting out! The roads were slick the whole winter;
writing notes faster than I can process them is a real luxury.

Reminds me of the cellphone discussion raging over on bikes.tech -- I
write the time at every stop, except when I forget, so I consult my
cellphone frequently on every ride. Writing the time was originally
part of a scheme to get my top speed above five miles per hour, but I
haven't had time to calculate my speeds recently.

I also use the phone to reassure my spouse that I'm not lying in a
ditch waiting for a road crew to notice my red scarf and tell their
dispatcher to call for an ambulance.

I think maybe the scar is less lumpy than it was before I started
rubbing Vitamin-E oil on it. Pity I didn't take a close-up photograph
before I started.

(People in cars couldn't see into the ditch. The guys in the high
truck could.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old June 15th 19, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Communication is everything

Communication is almost all there is to safety on the road, and it
isn't all communication with other humans.

Today I slogged up a hill because two large dogs were frolicking on a
lawn to my left. If I had shifted down, my feet would have begun to
move faster.

To a dog, breaking into a run is an unequivocal announcement that you
are up to no good, and must be chased and harried until you are well
away from its territory.

Old June 16th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Here's a note scraped in a more-timely fashion.

Yesterday I rode an honest quarter century, and with some modest hills
(Though I went around hills whenever possible). Before heading out
into the country, I spent a couple of hours walking around in Meijer,
and just before *that*, I took a quick lap around the Goodwill store
(charity second-hand shop).

Something yellow caught my eye on the men's shirts rack, and I found
an honest-to-goodness oval-cut jersey! Too transparent, and made
entirely of plastic, not to mention that oval cut is really silly for
someone who actually *uses* the pockets, so I wasn't tempted to try it
on.

I wonder how many of the people who see it have a clue as to what it
is?

I also wonder whether "oval cut" is still the trade term for making a
jersey longer in the back for coverage when you get down on the drops?
Oval cut makes a lot of sense for track jerseys, but I carry up to a
pound of coins in my wallet, so my jerseys are cut *shorter* in back
than in front. Well, not cut; I put darts across the back. Except
for the woven jersies, which have a drawstring around the waist. I'm
thinking of retrofitting the knit-fabric jerseys with belt casings and
taking out a dart or two.

I tried belt loops on the older of the cotton jerseys, and they work,
but a casing across the back would work better.