Coaster brake in Nexus-7: easy to remove?

Old October 5th 04, 11:36 AM
Konstantin Shemyak

Default Coaster brake in Nexus-7: easy to remove?

On a garage sale nearby, I noticed a supermarket-type bike with
Nexus 7 speed hub, with a coaster brake. The hub seems to be in
a perfect condition (probably not ridden much).

Question is, is it possible/easy to dismantle that brake, to be left
with just a freewheeling hub?

Thanks in advance,

Konstantin.

Old October 6th 04, 05:56 AM
BJ

They come off easily, just one nut and it slips off the splines. And they
should be left off. Mine was draggy, did not work all that well, and was
one more wire to unhook to get the wheel off. But I really like my 7
speed hub.

Bruce

Konstantin Shemyak wrote in news:_Ou8d.183$Pu1.39
@reader1.news.jippii.net:

Old October 6th 04, 06:00 AM
BJ

Yikes! I replied before reading carefully. Mine was the cable operated
roller brake, not the coaster brake. (But it was a piece of junk)

Bruce

Old October 6th 04, 04:28 PM
Sheldon Brown

BJ top-posted:

Yikes! I replied before reading carefully. Mine was the cable operated
roller brake, not the coaster brake. (But it was a piece of junk)

Then you're in luck! The Roller Brake is very easy to remove, just one
nut, and the hub works fine without it. I don't believe this is true
of the coaster brake version, but I haven't tried it.

:

On a garage sale nearby, I noticed a supermarket-type bike with
Nexus 7 speed hub, with a coaster brake. The hub seems to be in
a perfect condition (probably not ridden much).

Question is, is it possible/easy to dismantle that brake, to be left
with just a freewheeling hub?

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
| A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation. |
| Q: Why is top posting frowned upon? |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 6th 04, 05:36 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:00:18 +0000, BJ wrote:

Yikes! I replied before reading carefully. Mine was the cable operated
roller brake, not the coaster brake. (But it was a piece of junk)

I had a roller brake on my nexus hub as well, and did not like it. It
took far too much braking effort to actually slow down. I don't know
whether or not it dragged, though.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

Old October 6th 04, 06:33 PM
Jeff Wills

Konstantin Shemyak wrote in message ...
On a garage sale nearby, I noticed a supermarket-type bike with
Nexus 7 speed hub, with a coaster brake. The hub seems to be in
a perfect condition (probably not ridden much).

Question is, is it possible/easy to dismantle that brake, to be left
with just a freewheeling hub?

Probably not. Looking at the exploded view
( http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ew/SG-7C26.pdf
)
it appears that the brake shoes are integral with the left-hand cone.
I've never dissassembled one, but it *may* be possible to remove just
the brake shoes, leaving a freewheeling hub. You really don't gain
all that much. Perhaps the Great Sheldon can help out.

As BJ pointed out, removing the cable-operated roller brake
( http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ew/SG-7R46.pdf
) is comparitively trivial.

Jeff