SS freewheel - okay to pack with grease?

Old October 10th 04, 04:08 AM
Collin

Default SS freewheel - okay to pack with grease?

Hi everyone,

I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter? I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

Thanks,

-Collin
Old October 10th 04, 06:24 AM
Sheldon Brown

Collin wrote:

I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter?

Yes. See the last sentence below:

I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

I'd oil it with a medium/heavy oil like Phil Wood, and repeat as needed.
If your bike doesn't yet have full fenders and a front mud flap,
installing those will greatly increase the live of all of the drivetrain
parts.

Sheldon "Oil, Not Grease" Brown
Santa Cruz, California (visiting my daughter, first time in NorCal.)
| Always store beer in a dark place |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 10th 04, 06:28 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:08:19 GMT, Collin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter?

Grease can prevent the pawls from engaging if it is heavy enough and
the springs can't overcome the viscosity. Not a nice feeling, going to
pedal and spinning air.

I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

Thanks,

-Collin

Fenders. And regular maintenance- flushing and reoiling. Maybe a daily
wipe with a rag sprayed with WD-40?

Old October 10th 04, 01:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

coneill- I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it
is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter? BRBR

If the grease gets around the pawls, they may stick down, particularly when it
gets cold and you may join teeth/face to stem. grease not a good idea, oil,
like Mobil One.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old October 10th 04, 04:16 PM
Collin

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Collin wrote:

I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter?

Yes. See the last sentence below:

I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I want to
avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I take
it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

I'd oil it with a medium/heavy oil like Phil Wood, and repeat as needed.
If your bike doesn't yet have full fenders and a front mud flap,
installing those will greatly increase the live of all of the drivetrain
parts.

Well, currently I bathe it in motor oil, flushing out the dirty oil. I
figure that's the best way to get all of the internal parts. I just
bought fenders yesterday, so I should be all set.

THanks!

Old October 10th 04, 04:32 PM
Collin

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
coneill- I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it
is
definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
winter? BRBR

If the grease gets around the pawls, they may stick down, particularly when it
gets cold and you may join teeth/face to stem. grease not a good idea, oil,
like Mobil One.

Yes, I currently flush it with motor oil when it feels dry. I guess
I'll just have to do this more often in the winter. After reading some
reviews for the ACS Claws, it appears mine's lasting longer that most
anyway, probably because I flush the dirt out periodically.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

new chain grease g.daniels Techniques 22 September 3rd 04 03:19 AM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM
FA: Campagnolo Freewheel Tool Kit The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 03:09 AM
Replacing freewheel - question about chain Dan Musicant Techniques 4 August 8th 03 05:10 PM