Shimano 10speed chain<>sprockets

Old October 11th 04, 12:44 PM
bertkerkhofs

Default Shimano 10speed chain<>sprockets

What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of the chai
and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And th
sprockets

--
bertkerkhofs

Old October 11th 04, 02:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bertkerkhof- What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of
the chain
and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the
sprockets? BRBR

Keep the drivetrain clean, clean the chain frequently, keep lubed(a Wipperman
snaplink is useful here). Measure the chain regularly for 'stretch', either
using a ruler or Rohloff or Park(CC-3) tool. Replace the chain when the tool
says so or at 1/16 in stretch over 12 inches. Replace the cogset when a new
chain 'skips', about 4-6 chains worth, if the above is followed.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old October 11th 04, 03:58 PM
Basjan

"bertkerkhofs" wrote in
message ...

What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of the chain
and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the
sprockets

I generally use a rule of thumb of around 2000 km for replacing a chain
(9-speed). As Peter said, I replace my cassette when the chain starts
skipping. If you maintain your drivetrain well, youŽll only need to replace
a chain every now and then for a long-long time...

basjan

Old October 11th 04, 04:09 PM
Antti Salonen

Basjan wrote:

I generally use a rule of thumb of around 2000 km for replacing a chain
(9-speed).

If you're talking about road bikes like the original poster was, 2000 km
is very little mileage from a chain. I have used my 10-speed Wippermann
chains for about 6000 km each on a Campagnolo-equipped bike before
replacing them. I have measured the wear using a ruler and replace the
chain when the elongation approaches 0.5 %. Currently I'm using the
fourth chain on the same cassette without any problems.

Of course, if you don't clean your chain reasonably often, it is going
to wear a lot faster. I almost always clean the chain before lubing it,
and that happens whenever it starts to make noise.

-as

Old October 11th 04, 07:39 PM
Dan R H

I just replaced my DA 10 speed chain with about 3500 miles. Minor stretching
but I thought it was time so I replaced it. Sprockets are fine. I've always
followed the creed, replace the chain before it destroys your drivetrain.

Dan

"bertkerkhofs" wrote in
message ...