"over 20 miles of unauthorized rogue trails have been constructed there * mostly by mountain bikers"

Old November 7th 11, 06:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "over 20 miles of unauthorized rogue trails have been constructed there * mostly by mountain bikers"

http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbc...305/-1/NEWSMAP

Laying the groundwork

Plan to add more hiking and mountain biking trails to hills above
Ashland now awaits approval from Forest Service

Acomprehensive report on the popular trail system winding through the
hills roughly between Lithia Park and Mount Ashland is finished and
ready for policy makers, the project-leading Ashland Woodlands and
Trails Association announced last week.

The near 100-page report will serve as the groundwork for plans by the
U.S. Forest Service to carry out a National Environmental Policy Act
analysis of the association's recommendations, which include about 32
miles of new trails for authorization.

It's been more than 10 years since the last authorized trail was added
to the system, said AWTA president Rob Cain, but well over 20 miles of
unauthorized rogue trails have been constructed there * mostly by
mountain bikers * since the 1980s.

The full report can be found on the Ashland Woodlands & Trails
Association's website at

sites.google.com/site/ashlandwoodstmp/documents

Currently, the Forest Service recognizes about 14 miles of trails in
the system, and will have the option of approving about 19 miles of
already-constructed rogue trails along with about 13 miles of proposed
new trails.

About five miles of existing trail is proposed to be closed, including
the unauthorized Pete's Punisher Trail.

But before any dirt starts flying, the Forest Service, which received
the report from AWTA last week, will have to finish its NEPA analysis,
which should be complete by summer 2012, said Brian Long, recreation
staff officer with the Siskiyou Mountain Ranger District and Wild
Rivers Ranger District.

The NEPA analysis is carried out to ensure that the proposed trails
don't pose erosion problems or risks to wildlife, but is not required
for all of the proposed trails, he said.

"Once we identify what trails we will analyze, we will initiate the
scoping process to obtain public comment on the project," Long said.
"Each trail will be studied to determine its feasibility and potential
environmental effects."

In the past, the Forest Service said it supports the creation of new
trails in the area, as long as they meet environmental standards.

Volunteers with AWTA spent nearly two years studying, mapping, and
researching the trail system above Ashland, before Torsten Heycke, a
board member for the association, drafted its current plan.

"The problems with the existing trail system are rather significant,"
Heycke said. "The explosive user growth seen in the last ten years,
when combined with many unauthorized routes down the mountain, made
for both an unsustainable environment and increasing user conflict."

The association's plan identifies three areas in the trail system
where congestion is a problem. The first area, which the Forest
Service estimates receives more than 50,000 visits annually, is the
lower portion of the trail system above Lithia Park. That area
includes the Alice in Wonderland Trail and the unauthorized
Jabberwocky Trail.

The report names two other high-use areas, including the area directly
north of Four Corners, a popular jumping-off point for downhill
bicyclists, and the Caterpillar Trail, the second most popular trail
in the system, according to the report.

For many existing trails, the report recommends reconstructing, even
rerouting portions, and installing better signage.

The reason for building many of the new trails is so that different
types of trail users * including mountain bikers, hikers and
equestrians * can be separated to designated trails around high-use
areas where conflicts have historically occurred, said Cain.

According to the AWTA master plan, some trails would be limited to
certain users.

"I think it's a good idea," said Dana Ahera, 51, of Ashland. "I've had
some close calls with mountain bikes in the past."

Ahera, who was preparing for a five-mile walk with her two dogs from
the White Rabbit Trailhead Wednesday afternoon, said she has been
using the trails there for about 20 years.

"I definitely don't walk with music in or anything," she said, "I need
to be able to hear them coming."

Most mountain bikers * the nice ones * she said, let people know when
they are coming down a trail by yelling before riding up on other
trail users.

"I try to go out of my way by keeping my eyes ahead and yelling to
give people a chance for me to go by," said Sam Scorso, 40, of
Ashland, a runner and mountain biker. "When I am hiking I hate
bikers."

He said certain trails, like the city-owned BTI trail, above Lithia
Park, should be a bike-only trail.

"Bikers go crazy down that," he said, "and, yeah, it's dangerous * for
other people and them."

Cain said in addition to its work with the Forest Service, he also
hopes AWTA can work with the city to mitigate some of the risks
involving its trails above Lithia Park.

As a nonprofit organization, AWTA, is attempting to raise at least
$50,000 to carry out the plan, which it initially hoped the Forest
Service could match in order to fund the estimated $100,000 project.

"That won't be happening," said Cain, "but we're about to $50,000."

Now, the association is turning to grants, more fundraising, and
hopefully donations to reach the $100,000 mark, he said.

Back in the late 1980s, Dennis Odion, 52, of Ashland was a downhill
bike enthusiast.

"These days I'd rather go up than down," he said, explaining that
going uphill allows him to get into certain mental rhythm he enjoys.
"I've ridden down so many thousands and thousands of feet that it's
just lost the thrill."

Odion said it is dangerous for downhill bikers, who are usually
travelling very quickly, to be riding down the same trails that people
are walking and riding horses up.

"Those riders, the downhill specific ones, are in it for the speed and
thrills," he said. "When you're going downhill, you're thinking about
riding your bike, not the safety of others, because you have to."

"A few new trails would be nice," he said, leaning over his bike.

If that plan is approved by next summer, Cain hopes to have the first
trail completed in September 2012, but it likely will be 10 or 15
years before the entire project is finished, he said.

Reach reporter Sam Wheeler at 541-499-1470 or email
.