Strange pinging noises from rear spokes...

Old June 13th 04, 11:38 PM
Paul

Default Strange pinging noises from rear spokes...

I bought a new bike a few weeks back and whilst riding it today I
noticed a very unusual noise from the rear of the bike. After some
investigation, I could reproduce the noise by pushing the bike along
whilst leaning down hard on the saddle. As the wheel rotated slowly it
sounded like the spokes were making a pinging noise, one after the other
- a bit like as if you flicked them with your fingernail. If I took the
downward pressure off the saddle the noise disappeared.

I'm pretty sure this is a new phenomenon. I tapped each of the spokes
and the tensions seemed consistent. Is this a normal part of a new bike
'bedding down' because I've not experienced it before? Could the hot
weather have had anything to do with it? I'll ask my LBS about it
if/when I take the bike in for its free six week service, but can anyone
advise what the cause may be, and how I could fix this myself in the
meantime?

Thanks,
Paul
Old June 14th 04, 01:21 AM
D T W .../\\...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#seating

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old June 14th 04, 09:28 PM
Paul

D T W .../\... wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. It would appear the most likely candidates a

1. The spokes weren't sufficiently stress relieved, or
2. The spokes are working a little loose

Unfortunately my LBS isn't actually very local so I will have to plan a
visit in advance. Am I likely to damage the wheel by continuing to ride
on it in the meantime? My home-grown temporary remedy would be to
squeeze the spokes in sets of four (as described in the above link), and
then tighten them all by a 1/4 turn. Or should I just take it in for
its 100 mile service ASAP...?
Old June 14th 04, 11:58 PM
D T W .../\\...

snip

Thanks. It would appear the most likely candidates a

1. The spokes weren't sufficiently stress relieved, or
2. The spokes are working a little loose

Unfortunately my LBS isn't actually very local so I will have to plan a
visit in advance. Am I likely to damage the wheel by continuing to ride
on it in the meantime? My home-grown temporary remedy would be to
squeeze the spokes in sets of four (as described in the above link), and
then tighten them all by a 1/4 turn. Or should I just take it in for
its 100 mile service ASAP...?

Paul.

Probably not stress relieved. I'd just make sure that none of them are
loose and forget about it until the 100 mile mark.

Use the sound method to judge which one's may be loose.. Tighten to remove
the dull thud sound. Leave the rest alone.

Old June 15th 04, 12:39 AM
Paul

D T W .../\... wrote:

snip

[...]

Thanks DTW, this is all useful knowledge