Hit by car

Old December 10th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Hit by car

I was crossing crosswalk with green light.

Lady made a right at red light. She never looked right.

I was hit.

Broke left hand and neck pain.

I will never again cross at light.

Will cross between blocks.

Can't trust anyone!!

Andy
Old December 11th 17, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/10/2017 4:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I was crossing crosswalk with green light.

Lady made a right at red light. She never looked right.

I was hit.

Broke left hand and neck pain.

I will never again cross at light.

Will cross between blocks.

Can't trust anyone!!

You certainly have to be very choosy about whom you trust. But you also
have to behave in a predictable manner.

It sounds like you were going straight ahead while you were to the right
of a car that turned right. I try to never put myself in that position.
It's responsible for many serious crashes, often fatal ones. That's why
that location has the nickname "coffin corner." See
http://iamtraffic.org/glossary/coffin-corner/

That website talks specifically about a bike lane, but the same
principle applies if its a sidewalk, or even if you're on a street or
road with no bike lane. Don't put yourself to the right of a vehicle
that may turn right. _Especially_ don't do it with trucks, buses or
other large vehicles. They have blind spots that make it even harder to
spot you in that position.

Bicycles are safest at intersections if they are where motorists expect
vehicles to be, and if the bicyclists are performing normal traffic
movements.

For more on this, see
http://www.kansascyclist.com/news/20...coffin-corner/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 11th 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 3:26:19 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Frank, I think he was a pedestrian. My wife got hit the same way. A guy in my office got hit the same way. It is a chronic problem of people looking left and turning right. The are watching for on-coming traffic and then whip right without looking for pedestrian traffic. It is a clear violation of the law and an easy lawsuit/claim. I defend people, but this type of accident is so prevalent and so avoidable, that I would make a massive stink.. I also encounter this behavior in my dense downtown on almost a daily basis. I'm very, very cautious, but even so, I've been clipped but unharmed.

BTW, don't cross in the middle of the block. Being in the cross-walk gives you slam dunk right of way and an easy lawsuit. Motorists can claim you were violating the law by crossing in the middle of the block.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 11th 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

well, ura a gonna learn to drive the vehicle or not. Looking both ways at every intersection stopped or mobile is learned for most or is it ? instinctual ?

'In any event' seems real time conditions are opposed to injurious interactions or surly there would be more...maybe there are ? I lived on a an island with beach drunks n obsolete narrow roads and it was lying in the street on every pass thru down at the BOA.

I wud assume NO ONE IS LOOKING YOUR WAY. The enemy is neither teachable nor instinctual

especially poor vehicle driving here is the across the board inability for driving around a 90 degree corner from Main to Burb or almost anywhere. A 90 degree corner is 90 not 45 degrees. We lay back 15' until the coast is clear.
Old December 11th 17, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yup. Approach crosswalk on foot, wait for "Walk" signal, look behind you
for right turning traffic, then walk. Being a paranoid cyclist has made me
a better pedestrian.

Old December 11th 17, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ralph ? how's the air quality ?
Old December 11th 17, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 9:41:26 PM UTC-6, Ralph Barone wrote:

Yup. Approach crosswalk on foot, wait for "Walk" signal, look behind you
for right turning traffic, then walk.

Agree, except for the "Walk" signal. I could care less what the official signal says. I watch the cars. If no cars, then cross. If cars, make sure they are stopped and not running me over, then cross. Watch the cars, not the signal.
Old December 11th 17, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:51:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 9:41:26 PM UTC-6, Ralph Barone wrote:

Yup. Approach crosswalk on foot, wait for "Walk" signal, look behind you
for right turning traffic, then walk.

Agree, except for the "Walk" signal. I could care less what the official signal says. I watch the cars. If no cars, then cross. If cars, make sure they are stopped and not running me over, then cross. Watch the cars, not the signal.

consider liability. the signals work, the drivers turning right do not.
of value is the common timer tellimg us how long we have to live when crossing.

of interest are the flat open completely 360 visible fatal crossing accidents in winter Florida I reported here with GooMaps: motorcycles bicycles...
Old December 11th 17, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Just fine. Do you think that I live in California?

Old December 11th 17, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

San Diego ?7