OT Travel Ban Ruling

Old February 15th 17, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default OT Travel Ban Ruling

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:49:19 PM UTC, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 2/13/17 1:46 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
In the present tense atmosphere with the Democrats intent not on governing but on obstruction, an impeachment would surely be a circus.

Sort of like a Star Trek episode. Same plot; only the names have changed.

--
Wes Groleau

Only the cast wouldn't be as young and handsome.

AJ
Old February 15th 17, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/15/2017 4:47 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:17:57 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

And to something Andre said, business skills are not transferable to government -- at least not entirely. Government and diplomacy are not rational markets motivated by profit. If Russia decides to deploy missiles, and you don't like it, you can't just buy your way out of it. The deal might involve blowing-up a continent and not just walking away from a profit, paying more or declaring bankruptcy. In some respects, a businessman is the last person you want for diplomatic tasks. You would be better off with a psychologist, anthropologist or an ethnologist -- or even a political science professor.

-- Jay Beattie

I'm one of those psychologists you mention, and an economist, and I practised both skills at the cutting edge of business, in a business that is probably the only more Darwinian rat****ery than property development, and I must tell you that the leaders of their nations that I've advised on four of the five continents were probably interchangeable with the business leaders I've advised, except that the businessmen were smarter. Hal Geneen, said almost universally to be one of the great businessmen of the previous century (and a benefactor to me), was once told by someone from his hotels group as the car passed the monument, "That's the Colosseum, Mr Geneen." He looked up, mistook the remark for a suggestion that it should be turned into a hotel, glanced around the back of the car at our faces for support for the notion, found none, ruled, "It'll cost too much to restore," and dropped his eyes again to the spreadsheet on his lap, moving my finger, which had slid as I looked up, to t

he exact point where he was interrupted in his perusal of the numbers. There is no doubt in my mind that Mr Geneen could have walked into the Oval Office and taken over the management of the nation in an instant and proven more competent than any President since World War II, with the obvious exceptions of Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan. Geneen wasn't the only one. Chuck Bluhdorn, Robert Holmes a Court, Rupert Murdoch, many more would do a brilliant job. In every single case it would be the easiest job they ever held, because there is so much help: two houses of Congress, the judiciary, established bureaucracies, lots of experienced executives vying for appointments running these bureaucracies, platoons of high-quality advisors.

Government and diplomacy are not rational markets motivated by profit.

I laughed aloud when I read that. Whenever I've taught, I always open by stating the principles of economics (a presumption of rationality in everyone involved in everyday life) even to doctoral aspirants and postdocs, adding, "That's just the normative case [what should be, if everything were to be rational, as opposed to what is]. In reality, the madhouse is all around us, and the greatest virtue in the Darwinian competition of life is unpredictability." Your premise simply doesn't conform to real life experience, Jay.

I don't know what Mr Trump studied at college, but that was surely the last time he was involved in a rational market, however notional. The vicious irrationality of dealing with the building trades and their unions is a far better preparation for Mr Trump to govern, especially internationally, than any military service would be, or any government bureaucratic service. What made Reagan the victor of the Cold War wasn't his fine administrative experience in the actors' unions or in Sacramento, or his diplomatic charm, but his gambler's instinct frightening the **** out of the Kremlin.

Andre Jute
It's not recklessness that will get us all killed, it is wishful thinking

Aside from other rich experience, Ronald Reagan worked as a
lifeguard on the Rock River[1] while completing his degree
in economics (Eureka 1927).

DJT attended military secondary school (I don't know, but in
USA this is a standard path for children of the well-to-do
with discipline problems) then on to Fordham (2yrs) and
Wharton (2 yrs; not an MBA)

[1] I grew up swimming in it, well upriver from Dixon IL

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 15th 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:50:23 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:49:19 PM UTC, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 2/13/17 1:46 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
In the present tense atmosphere with the Democrats intent not on governing but on obstruction, an impeachment would surely be a circus.

Sort of like a Star Trek episode. Same plot; only the names have changed.

--
Wes Groleau

Only the cast wouldn't be as young and handsome.

AJ

https://dustyshutt.files.wordpress.c...ater-0081a.jpg

our democracy is organized n orchestrated this is not Old Yurp as AJ is Old Yurp.

Rump is an MBA https://www.google.com/#q=trump+education

His wealth derives from his education and weaselish un-CPA advice gambling on real estate 'loopholes' not loop holes but aggressive real estate 'law'

as jay sez, this has zero to do with government. government is getting along n Trump is not.

GOP admins historically ( the last 50 ) are not filling admin positions with qualified people BECAUSE there are no qualified conservatives. Or like Pudzer there are problems or careers to pur$ue.

government is more complex than making n selling air conditioners.
Old February 15th 17, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 2/15/17 10:59 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:34:45 PM UTC, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 2/10/17 5:29 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Andrew Jackson knew how to deal with obstreperous judges:

Right. Ignore the judge and kill thousands of Cherokees.

--
Wes Groleau

Careful, Wes. Liz Warren claims to be a Cherokee. It is probably a Federal offense to wish a senator ill. -- AJ

I don't. Some of my best relatives are Cherokees. I'm saying that was
Andrew Jackson's response to a judge.

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 15th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 6:04:35 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Andy, your father owned a chain of LBS ?

I slipped so sorry

https://www.google.com/#q=does+trump...e+from+wharton

more Bongo.
Old February 15th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:48:04 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Developing property is cookie-cutter. You can read market studies and pencil out pro formas on the back of napkin. Dealing with ideologues in foreign countries, building coalitions, developing a national strategy is not cookie-cutter.

The down-side of a bad development deal is a low return on investment. If the going gets tough, you give the property to the bank or the investors. The down-side of bad foreign policy is a bomb-crater and/or a lot of dead Americans in some foreign ****-hole.

BTW, what made Reagan the victor in the Cold War was the US economy and
Mikhail Gorbachev. Kennedy was the gambler, whatever you may think of Kennedy and/or Dean Rusk.

Perhaps Trump is a savant and a natural diplomat who will make America great again. I'm not seeing it. And in fact, even after living through the Cuban Missile Crisis, I'm more anxious about our government than ever.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 16th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

snip What made Reagan the victor of the Cold War wasn't his fine administrative experience in the actors' unions or in Sacramento, or his diplomatic charm, but his gambler's instinct frightening the **** out of the Kremlin.

What makes you think he wasn't responding to what the regulars wanted from him?
Old February 16th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:02:12 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 9:24:12 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/15/2017 2:27 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10:15:16 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:

Minor detail: the mot widely accepted acronym for the Supreme Court of
the United States is SCOTUS. Many of your readers will be puzzled by
USSC, which sounds like you are talking about college football.

United States Sentencing Commission. http://www.ussc.gov/

They're also not so affectionately known as The Supremes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

They weren't even good enough to be a backing group. Mind you, they were a lot more musical than today's rappers. -- AJ

"The most successful American performers of the 1960s, the Supremes for a time rivaled even the Beatles in terms of red-hot commercial appeal, reeling off five number one singles in a row at one point."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-MDYopSoA
Old February 16th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/15/2017 7:52 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

It's satire. Diana Ross, a melodramatic diva, exhibits more
humility than the Justices.

Old February 16th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:37:07 PM UTC-5, Doug Landau wrote:
snip What made Reagan the victor of the Cold War wasn't his fine administrative experience in the actors' unions or in Sacramento, or his diplomatic charm, but his gambler's instinct frightening the **** out of the Kremlin.

What makes you think he wasn't responding to what the regulars wanted from him?

ahhhno....the cold war was won by thin Russian soil and the American electronics industry ....and the Tomcat !

Raygun did Bongo goes to DC ...???

Ruling requested. Michael Press Racing 4 July 21st 11 04:27 AM
Fork travel recommendations on FS with 2 1/2" rear travel crossnutz Mountain Biking 0 November 12th 06 09:49 PM
CAS Ruling Bill C Racing 7 June 30th 06 08:49 AM
130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame Richard Hamilton Mountain Biking 12 February 1st 05 11:10 AM
130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame Richard Hamilton UK 3 January 29th 05 10:38 AM