Average (non-racing) cycling speeds

Old January 21st 08, 01:52 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Nick Maclaren

Default Average (non-racing) cycling speeds

Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 21st 08, 02:21 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Gosling

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2
(around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
your question.

-patrick.
Old January 21st 08, 04:02 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Goodness knows how "they" amass such information. I find that, at a somewhat
overripe age of 70, the loaded or unloaded average on a days run works out at
a tad under 10 mph.

it used to be a tad over 10 mph but my current Raven Tour is geared down for
towing a camping touring loaded trailer and that means that my top speed, on
my local runs, before my feet spin out is about 22 to 24 mph! Which brings
down my daily "at home" average.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old January 21st 08, 04:38 PM posted to cam.transport, uk.rec.cycling, rec.bicycles.misc
Duncan Smith

Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
particular day takes...

I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
commute day in day out?

Regards,

Duncan

Old January 21st 08, 05:07 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Trevor A Panther" writes:

| Goodness knows how "they" amass such information. I find that, at a somewhat
| overripe age of 70, the loaded or unloaded average on a days run works out at
| a tad under 10 mph.

I have been as low as 8 - but that was in north Cornwall :-)

I am not looking for absolute numbers so much as changes over time.

| it used to be a tad over 10 mph but my current Raven Tour is geared down for
| towing a camping touring loaded trailer and that means that my top speed, on
| my local runs, before my feet spin out is about 22 to 24 mph! Which brings
| down my daily "at home" average.

A top speed of 22 to 24 mph is impressive!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Martin Dann

Duncan Smith wrote:
Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
particular day takes...

Is that 24miles each way, or a round trip.

I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
commute day in day out?

When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).
Old January 21st 08, 05:40 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Martin Dann

Martin Dann wrote:

When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).

Should really say that is for the journey to work, the journey home is
often takes 10 min longer.

Yes again - Average in-town speeds Ken C. M. General 5 May 16th 06 04:40 PM
Average speeds Martin Australia 7 October 8th 05 06:15 AM
Tours average speeds Ben Australia 1 July 11th 05 12:21 AM
Average race speeds. leestevens Australia 9 March 24th 05 02:15 PM
Average Speeds ACP Australia 3 February 26th 04 09:10 PM