How to arrange an indoor riding location...

Old December 25th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

Default How to arrange an indoor riding location...

How does someone go about lining up an indoor riding location? There
are many local schools that might work out great but I have to think
they would all be very hesitant to allow unicycles on their nice gym
floors! Even with assurances about plastic pedals etc., I couldn't
blame the administrators for being uncomfortable with the idea. Are
there liability issues that have to be dealt with up front? Is there a
fee involved? How can they safely unlock a school for your group to use
the building? Are there other options besides schools? As I think
about the details it seems overwhelming.

I'd be interested in any information you all can provide about your own
indoor riding agreements and how you or your group were able to make it
work.

Kurt

--
zogola
Old December 25th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Take over a juggling club.

Thats what I've been doing the last few times. I found a juggling club
meeting every Wednesday, and I've been going there and bringing more and
more unicyclists every time, MUAHAHAHH!

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 25th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ben Meighen

Our Toronto club has been renting weekly gyms for years. Schools always
rent out their gyms for clubs like boy scouts and stuff for a fair
price.

We have had difficulties about floors and insurance. The school board
was very bad at handling both issues. We acquired group insurance
(expensive and hard to find), and have dealt with marks on the floor
with a tennis ball on a stick to rub off marks.

It would be difficult to get a gym if it is just a couple people who
want to ride casually, having a club with paying members makes it
happen. It is totally worth it though for winter riding.

-Ben

--
Ben Meighen

Git-R-Done
Old December 25th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sarah.miller

Other locations... depends where you live.
some ideas- not all these may exsist in your locale

Village hall, community hall. leisure centre sports hall , church hall,
school gym, school dining hall. Arts centre studio space. under ground
car park, multistorey car park( may b cold, also not popuar with car
owners). Pub function room with hard floor.
You may well have to pay to use an indoor space, most spaces will need
lighting and heating paid for at last, maybe a care taker locking up
after you as well.

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
Old December 26th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I just use the gym at my church. The building is usually open 3-4 days a
week(besides sundays) for other activities and the gym is usually not
being used so I just use it all the time.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*

Indoor Riding Spaces flyer Unicycling 4 September 18th 06 07:35 PM
indoor riding? tomkarches Unicycling 6 June 24th 06 08:47 PM
How long until you can arrange... dr.melon Unicycling 31 March 11th 06 09:42 PM
indoor riding on rollers, myth or fact? hoboarchery Unicycling 13 December 21st 05 05:40 PM
Gaining Access to a Gym (or other indoor riding place.) jsm Unicycling 3 December 3rd 04 09:31 AM