60 or 70?

Old June 30th 17, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
doug

Default 60 or 70?

On Friday, 30 June 2017 19:17:16 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:34:57 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:
On 30-Jun-17 4:31 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 15:40:29 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

On 30-Jun-17 1:39 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:45:11 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

On 30-Jun-17 1:23 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 23:55:22 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

On 29-Jun-17 9:14 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 21:04:50 +0100, JNugent

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 20:40:19 +0100, JNugent

Who thinks this is a 60 limit and who thinks it's 70?
https://goo.gl/maps/6wX2K83VkJM2
I'd say it's a dual carriageway this side, so 70 this way
and 60 the
other way.

You are free to say what you like.

That's a single-carriageway. If it is subject to UK
jurisdiction the
maximum speed is 60 either way (or less).

One side has two lanes, so it's a dual carriageway.

If you believe that that (rather than the existence of two
carriageways)
is what defines a dual carriageway, it will be impossible to
convince
you otherwise.

I've never been told what one is, just like I've never been
told how you
define a dog. I've just seen them.

How the pigs expect people to know what the definition is I
don't know.
Why not put up a speed limit sign? For that matter why do we
have the
grey bar for 60mph? That isn't helpful for foreigners. In
France every
limit is a red circle sign with a number.

So if you define it as SEPERATE carriageways, as in grass or
barrier between, why is this a 40 limit?
https://goo.gl/maps/ziedcsH5KtL2

Because that part of the road ha a 40 limit.

If we went back to the way it used to be - 30 in a built up
area, 60 on
a country road, 70 on a motorway, people would know what
****ing speed the pigs want us to go at. Instead we spend all
our time looking for speed limit signs instead of concentrating
on the road.

So the speed limit signs along the road did not give you a clue?

What part of "instead we spend all our time looking for speed
limit signs instead of concentrating on the road" didn't you
understand?

So sorry, most people check for road signs and other than just the
road ahead.

It helps to avoid accidents.

No it doesn't. Knowing the speed limit does not make you safer. You
should be paying attention to the road.

Do try to read before you reply, "other than just the road ahead".

If you don't look for the signs you would not see what else could be
happening near to them.

If you need a speed limit sign to tell you how fast is safe to drive
on a road, you're a **** driver. Everybody should choose their own
speed.

Prick.

Would that be a little one or a big one?
Old July 1st 17, 04:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

[...]

The trouble with that approach is it turns into vigilante justice then road rage. There is no practical way to enforce the law on the freeway in California so they don't.

Last winter I was driving into San Francisco and two low riders were speeding swerving across lanes between vehicles. I heard a pop pop pop and then another pop pop pop. At first I wondered if the rental was back firing. It slowly dawned on me that they were shooting at each other.

For some reason no one else seemed concerned. Maybe a pileup is more dangerous than a few stray bullets.

Bret Cahill

Old July 1st 17, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:17:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 8:01:12 PM UTC+1, Ian Smith wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 03:30:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y9gcm44s

Dual or single?

Dual, but since it has posted speed limits with repeaters the
carriageway status is irrelevant to the question of the speed limit.

Are you sure? When this subject came up many years ago someone said
that it has to be designated a dual carriageway by the council or
HA and have the appropriate signage.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on the text contained within The Traffic
Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (Statutory Instrument
2016 No 362) Schedule 1, but obviously you're at liberty to decide
that something said by someone on the internet many years ago is a
more authoritative source.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

"dual carriageway road" : a road which comprises a central reservation
and "all-purpose dual carriageway road" means a dual carriageway road
which is not a motorway

"central reservation" : (a)any land between the carriageways of a road
comprising two carriageways; or (b)any permanent work (other than a
traffic island) in the carriageway of a road, which separates the
carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway, which
is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway
or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times
or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 1st 17, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 04:40:57 +0100, Bret Cahill wrote:

[...]

Why would removing speed limits make more road rage? I'd say road rage is caused by people going too slowly. And less would do that if there weren't any limits.

--
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
Old July 1st 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y9gcm44s

Dual or single?

Dual, but since it has posted speed limits with repeaters the
carriageway status is irrelevant to the question of the speed limit.

Are you sure? When this subject came up many years ago someone said
that it has to be designated a dual carriageway by the council or
HA and have the appropriate signage.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on the text contained within The Traffic
Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (Statutory Instrument
2016 No 362) Schedule 1, but obviously you're at liberty to decide
that something said by someone on the internet many years ago is a
more authoritative source.

No need to type in that tone of keyboard.
I was seeking information, not knowing something does not make a person stupid.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

"dual carriageway road" : a road which comprises a central reservation
and "all-purpose dual carriageway road" means a dual carriageway road
which is not a motorway

"central reservation" : (a)any land between the carriageways of a road
comprising two carriageways; or (b)any permanent work (other than a
traffic island) in the carriageway of a road, which separates the
carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway, which
is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway
or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times
or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction.

What defines a traffic island?
The road in question used to be NSL. If that means the speed limit increased from 60 to 70 it would seem to negate the purpose of the divider which was to stop people crashing in to the railway bridge around the corner.

https://tinyurl.com/ybfpp7pj

Did the railway bridge create a dual carriageway?

Old July 1st 17, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y9gcm44s

Dual or single?

Dual, but since it has posted speed limits with repeaters the
carriageway status is irrelevant to the question of the speed
limit.

Are you sure? When this subject came up many years ago someone
said that it has to be designated a dual carriageway by the
council or HA and have the appropriate signage.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on the text contained within The
Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (Statutory
Instrument 2016 No 362) Schedule 1, but obviously you're at
liberty to decide that something said by someone on the internet
many years ago is a more authoritative source.

No need to type in that tone of keyboard.
I was seeking information, not knowing something does not make a person stupid.

I didn't say you were stupid. You chose to cast doubt on what I said,
apparently only on the basis of something someone said on the internet
years ago. So I've cited (what I consider to be) an authoritative
source. I don't think you're stupid, probably just lazy and not very
inquisitive (otherwise you'd have fixed your ignorance, rather than
just broadcast it).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 1st 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

[...]

Because I had doubt.

apparently only on the basis of something someone said on the internet
years ago. So I've cited (what I consider to be) an authoritative
source.

After your sarcastic post.
I assimilated the data and asked further questions which you have ignored.

I don't think you're stupid, probably just lazy and not very
inquisitive (otherwise you'd have fixed your ignorance, rather than
just broadcast it).

And you have done it again.

Once again I seek information on a subject beyond my professional knowledge.
You claim to have such knowledge.
A University is a log with a teacher on one end and a student on the other.
Old July 1st 17, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr Mudd-John

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the SociopathicAttention Whore

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 16:46:17 +0100, The Peeler wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 13:46:59 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the driveling sociopath's sick idiotic blather

But you don't; you give his ego a massage just by responding.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Old July 2nd 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

The railway bridge (viaduct)?

Well, yes, in a way, in that the traffic would either have to pass
two-way through one of the arches, or (as seems to be the case) one-way
through two arches.

But the viaduct does not of itself create the dual carriageway in the
foreground. That approach road could just as easily have been laid out
as a two-lane single-carriageway, with the relevant pier of the viaduct
acting as a simple traffic island separating the arches (with
appropriate "Keep Left" signage) for one-way working.