A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jay, Concerning Specialized Tarmac

Old March 10th 21, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Jay, Concerning Specialized Tarmac

I went down to a hand doctor yesterday and he popped a ganglion cyst that appeared on my middle finger and my wrist. He's a bike rider and bought a new Specialized Tarmac with Di2 on it from the dealer. Before long it started creaking and he finally narrowed it down to the bottom bracket. He took it back to the Dealer since it was only 6 months old and the Dealer told him that Specialized doesn't warranty that BB because it is a wear item. Really? After 6 months with a $10,000 bike?
Ads
Old March 11th 21, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 11:56:53 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I went down to a hand doctor yesterday and he popped a ganglion cyst that appeared on my middle finger and my wrist. He's a bike rider and bought a new Specialized Tarmac with Di2 on it from the dealer. Before long it started creaking and he finally narrowed it down to the bottom bracket. He took it back to the Dealer since it was only 6 months old and the Dealer told him that Specialized doesn't warranty that BB because it is a wear item. Really? After 6 months with a $10,000 bike?

It's probably a loose QR or through axle and not even the BB. My old Roubaix would creak like crazy if the rear QR was not tight. I don't know what the policy is, but with a $10K bike, the dealer usually takes care of it. You want repeat business. It's probably one of my son's shops since he has most of the West Coast. What's the name of the shop? He handles dealers and not customers, but he may have some insight.

It's got a threaded BB, so the shop could just put some teflon tape on it, cinch it up and then sell the guy some designer bottle cages for $60 a pop. Win-win.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 11th 21, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:51:08 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 11:56:53 AM UTC-8, wrote:

It's probably a loose QR or through axle and not even the BB. My old Roubaix would creak like crazy if the rear QR was not tight. I don't know what the policy is, but with a $10K bike, the dealer usually takes care of it. You want repeat business. It's probably one of my son's shops since he has most of the West Coast. What's the name of the shop? He handles dealers and not customers, but he may have some insight.

It's got a threaded BB, so the shop could just put some teflon tape on it, cinch it up and then sell the guy some designer bottle cages for $60 a pop. Win-win.

-- Jay Beattie.

I get that message to him along with the name of the shop.