Buying a used bike, advice please

Old August 3rd 04, 10:43 PM
Snidergl

Default Buying a used bike, advice please

I'm interested in buying a used road bike. It's been rarely used and
is basically mint. Its a Zr 1.0 frame with full Shimano Ultegra and
brand new tires. The price is 1000$ tax included. I'd like to know if
you think its worth it, and any other advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
Old August 4th 04, 07:13 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm interested in buying a used road bike. It's been rarely used and
is basically mint. Its a Zr 1.0 frame with full Shimano Ultegra and
brand new tires. The price is 1000$ tax included. I'd like to know if
you think its worth it, and any other advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

A couple things to consider here-

#1: Is it the correct size, and will it be correctly fit to you?

#2: Are you aware that you have no warranty on a used bike? That could
become an expensive issue if, for example, you had a shift lever go bad
prematurely (as does happen).

In general, used bikes in very good condition go for about half their price
new. Sounds like this bike might be a bit above that. If you're buying it
from a shop and they'll personally take care of any warranty issues that
might arise (definitely something to have them put in writing!), then the
issue of sizing is the main obstacle to it being a good buy. If you're
getting it from an individual, then the warranty issue is not to be
underestimated.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 6th 04, 01:28 AM
Har-VEE

EBay?

Pat in TX

Be careful of purchasing from non bike types on the Bay. I just had my azz
handed to me on a "great buy."

Harvey - Ameritard

Old August 6th 04, 04:40 AM
smyrna45

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:28:08 GMT, "Har-VEE"
wrote:

EBay?

Pat in TX

Be careful of purchasing from non bike types on the Bay. I just had my azz
handed to me on a "great buy."

Harvey - Ameritard

You might also want to consider what I did. I was new to biking and
riding an old beater bike. I wasn't sure I would keep it up, or just
send it to the boneyard of barely used exercise equipment my wife and
I have collected over the years. I looked at hundreds of bikes on eBay
and it gave me a feel for what things cost and what kind of components
I wanted.

Then, I found that my LBS had a free classified ad service where I
found a local bike for $100 and change that had all Shimano 105's (SIS
but not STI) and was in excellent shape. Since it was local, I got to
ride it and check it out and bought it. I have been riding it now for
a month and am happy as clam with it. You may find a similar service
from your LBS or their bulletin board.