Heras suspended

Old November 8th 05, 01:37 AM
Marty

Default Heras suspended

No - no!!! Please no! If true, I will have lost all faith in pro
cycling once and for all. Or, I'll just do like I always do and
believe that it can't possibly be true. But, that's becoming harder
and harder to do every year.

Crap.
--
Marty

Old November 8th 05, 01:40 AM
B. Lafferty

"Bill C" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jason Spaceman wrote:
Roberto Heras has been suspended by Liberty Seguros after a positive A
sample
EPO test ---
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ov05/nov08news

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ) is fake. Email sent
to it

And once again it became public through leaks before the B sample had
been tested. Once again we've got s preliminary result, a trial in the
court of public opinion, and a damaged reputation and earning capacity.
Not even going into the questions about the test itself, once again we
have a confidentiality problem.
Do I think they'll identify who leaked the info, not bloody likely.
Does the athlete have any recourse, seems not, even if the B comes up
clean there's significant damage caused by these leaks that NOONE seems
to give a **** about, least of all Wada. Now we don't even know what
organization the leak came from, but something needs to be done to
protect the athlete's rights.
The athlete's need to be allowed sue both the organization that
employs the person who leaked the info, and the individual for damages
due to these leaks.
Bill C

IIRC, the testing lab does not know the identity of the rider whose sample
they are testing. The positive is matched by the UCI who then notifies the
rider's national federation and a copy of that may be sent to the rider
and/or his team. The national federation must notify the rider of the
positive finding within two days or receiving notification from the UCI of
the positive.

So, assuming that there was a leak (we have only the team's word for that as
nothing was in fact published until the press release from Roberto's team),
the leak must have come from someone in the UCI, the Spanish cycling
federation, Heras or his team.

Old November 8th 05, 01:42 AM
Scott

Agreed.

I don't know if it's true, but there's an interesting point that's
brought up on www.cyclocosm.com. Supposedly he couldn't have injected
the EPO for more than 4 days prior to the test (or it wouldn't have
shown up) and yet it wouldn't have taken effect for more than two weeks
(which is after Heras' season would be over). Why the hell would he
take a banned substance that would in no way help him?

Is there some sort of 'maintenance schedule' for EPO where his
injection a few days prior to the end of the Vuelta make any sense at
all?

Old November 8th 05, 01:53 AM
B. Lafferty

"Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
Agreed.

I don't know if it's true, but there's an interesting point that's
brought up on www.cyclocosm.com. Supposedly he couldn't have injected
the EPO for more than 4 days prior to the test (or it wouldn't have
shown up) and yet it wouldn't have taken effect for more than two weeks
(which is after Heras' season would be over). Why the hell would he
take a banned substance that would in no way help him?

IIRC, microdosing of EPO clears in 24 hours. You start well before the time
you need the effect. Usually, they don't get caught.

``Detecting EPO used to be much easier - there was a five- or six-day window
in which to act,'' said Francaise des Jeux team doctor Gerard Guillaume.
``But I think now because of different methods and micro-dosing the window
of detection is only 24 hours. The cheats now have more chance of not
getting caught than getting caught.''
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/s.../GG26Dk09.html

Old November 8th 05, 01:53 AM
Jason Spaceman

Also see 'Heras Vuelta sample positive' at
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9142.0.html

'Heras suspended after suspected positive test' at
http://tinyurl.com/8j8br

J. Spaceman
Old November 8th 05, 02:27 AM
Tom Kunich

1) We expect Lafferty to say "I told you so".
2) Heras was being tested EVERY DAY. Why would he use EPO at that time?
3) We expect Lafferty to say "It doesn't matter, a positive is a positive."
4) We have seen too many of these EPO tests demonstrating negative B
samples. If Heras B sample tests negative (strange that so many test
negative when a rider can have his own legal and scientific staff on had to
observe eh?) then perhaps the test should be sidelined until it can be
demonstrated to be reliable.
5) We expect Lafferty to say, "The test is perfect."
6) The leak of Heras A sample demonstrates a complete disregard for those
being victimized by the press.
7) We expect Lafferty to say, "Tough luck."

"Bill C" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 03:17 AM
Bob Schwartz

Richard Sachs wrote:
was it roberto, or his brother roberto?
e-RICHIE©T®

His evil twin roberto.

Bob Schwartz
Old November 8th 05, 06:34 AM
Laz

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message
Roberto Heras has been suspended by Liberty Seguros after a positive A

sample
EPO test ---

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ov05/nov08news

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ) is fake. Email sent

to it
will only get caught in my spam tarpit.

Yet no one has commented on the connection between heras and lance

Laz

Old November 8th 05, 06:37 AM
William Asher

"Laz" wrote in
:

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message

Roberto Heras has been suspended by Liberty Seguros after a positive
A sample EPO test ---
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ov05/nov08news

Yet no one has commented on the connection between heras and lance

Or what it would feel like to hear the news after you paid 30,000 euros
for his bicycle.

--
Bill Asher
Old November 8th 05, 06:49 AM
Patricio Carlos

The Roberto-bashers here are just displaying blatant anti-Spanishism.
This is a disgrace. No Spanish would ever take drugs. You can just
tell. Why do people always resort to blaming Spain? Must be jealousy of
Spain's economic dominance.