RR: Fair Hills

Old March 6th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default RR: Fair Hills

[Inline version he http://tinyurl.com/r64y2]

Woke up to a crystal blue sky! Temps were freezing but that would
change by the end of the ride. Roger was joining me on the ride today
and we picked Fair Hills, NRMA in Maryland. We both needed some extra
long singletrack with whatever climbing we could find. I loaded up the
new Thule T2 with the singlespeed and picked up Roger for the long ride
to MD. Just a quick plus for the T2. It is the most amazing bike rack
I have ever owned and it doesn't scratch the bike.

Seems like a pretty good crowd at the parking lot, but we head out on
our own. I try to remember the trails, but since I am normally not the
leader I never really paid attention. I do get us on the first section
of single track which is still frozen.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3381.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3382.jpg

Of course I forget a turn and we are now doing what I think is the
normal route in reverse. Oh well, it's now normal to me. The 29er is
really kicking ass on the trail today. Log pile? What log pile?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3383.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3384.jpg

I gave the camera to Roger for the above pics. I never get in photos.
Now I just need to teach him zoom.

We just keep following the singletrack from here. I mean why not?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3385.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3386.jpg

Now it's not looking familiar to me. Where's the switchbacks? Finally
with the field in view I can get my bearings based upon the annual Poker
Run.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3388.jpg

So it's all downhill to the stream. Which leaves me in the middle of
Drunken Sailer and I don't know what.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3389.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3390.jpg

I know what the trails look like, but can never tell which one is which
by name. So we take a left turn and do a great piece of singletrack in
the reverse direction I most often go.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3391.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3392.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3393.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3394.jpg

This leaves us climbing again to take a right turn onto Drunken sailer,
a root filled, low ceiling, tight twisty piece of fun.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3395.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3396.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3397.jpg

Things are starting to get very mushy as the sun warms up the ground.
It's becoming hard to get up the hills because the torue from the 34/17
is just spinning the wheel in the mud. Add this to the fact that I
missed an entire section of the park due to wrong turns and it's time to
head out. Too damaging to continue and too far to get to the other
side, so we head up some steep single track to the fireroad and back to
the lot. One last pick from the top of the climb to show the beautiful
day it was.

We finish things off at Iron Hill Brewery with some great food. Sorry
no beer report. I don't drink at all and he chose not to as well. But
I will say from when I used to drink beer, that Iron Hill has some great
creations.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/IMG_3398.jpg

GPS Stuff:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/fhsat1.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/fht1.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/030506/fhtel1.jpg

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 7th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Fair Hills

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi, it's Mitch right? I have gone up to Fair Hills a couple times while my
daughters were there participating in horse events. Each time I have taken
my bike but I have not had good luck finding decent trails. I have headed
out in several different directions from the horse area-- each time I just
find dirt roads and fields. I suspect the horse area is not near the better
biking areas.

Is the route you show overlaid on the sat image some of the better biking at
FH? If so where do you park to access the trail? Could you mark the
location on your sat. jpg? Thanks.

Steve

Old March 8th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Hi, it's Mitch right? I have gone up to Fair Hills a couple times while my
daughters were there participating in horse events. Each time I have taken
my bike but I have not had good luck finding decent trails. I have headed
out in several different directions from the horse area-- each time I just
find dirt roads and fields. I suspect the horse area is not near the better
biking areas.

Is the route you show overlaid on the sat image some of the better biking at
FH? If so where do you park to access the trail? Could you mark the
location on your sat. jpg? Thanks.

Steve

There is at least 25 miles of singletrack in FH. Most of it is east of
the horse show area. There are two parking lots that will get you to
the singletrack quickly, Gallaher and Appleton Road. Appleton is the
one I usually park at. You need to access the park from Route 273. A
good portion of the ST is "no horses" which is really great since there
are a lot of equestrians in that park.

I have put up a pic with place marks he

http://www.schnauzers.ws/apple1.jpg

Basically, anything in the red circle is riding area. Yes, you ride
through fields to get to the woods, but most of those fields should have
singletrack as well.

Next time you are down there, give me a shout and I'll join you. It's
only 40 minutes from my house. If you like speed, you'd like Middle
Run/White Clay which is about 10 minutes from FH. There is supposed to
be a connecting trail that gives you a total of 80 miles of singletrack,
but I have never found it.

If you need anymore info or GPS stuff, just email me.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 9th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"SuperPoo" wrote in message

Hi, it's Mitch right? I have gone up to Fair Hills a couple times while my
daughters were there participating in horse events. Each time I have taken
my bike but I have not had good luck finding decent trails. I have headed
out in several different directions from the horse area-- each time I just
find dirt roads and fields. I suspect the horse area is not near the
better biking areas.

Is the route you show overlaid on the sat image some of the better biking
at FH? If so where do you park to access the trail? Could you mark the
location on your sat. jpg? Thanks.

Steve

Steve,

First, to clear up the name, it's Fair Hill (no s), although I doubt that
will keep you from finding any web sites on Google, etc.

Second, you can purchase a map of the trails (fairly up to date) for $6 at
the office on Tawes Drive within the "park" (I'm sure you can get one by
mail also). It's laminated and somewhat waterproof, so it's pretty durable
(justifying the price). Mitch was right with his 25+ figure (there are at
least double that in single-track trails).

Third, the local MTB group, Delaware Trailspinners, have regular rides
there. Check their web site (www.trailspinners.org) for the spring ride
schedule once it gets set (after the time change) and the associated Yahoo
group (trailspinners) for Ad Hoc rides until then. There are club rides
suitable for all skill levels. If your daughter's horse events are on a
weekend, there will likely be a corresponding club ride. If not, post to
the Yahoo group or the address on the web site and someone would be happy to
show you around if Mitch can't accomodate you.

Finally, there will be a Poker Run sometime in June (check the above website
for exact dates, although it is not listed yet). This is an annual
fundraiser to support continued trail maintenance. For $20 you'll have
probably 20 miles of trail arrowed, lots of company to keep you on trail,
and a map. That will get you a good intro to some of the single track.

And to specifically answer your question, I'm not sure which area you refer
to as the horse area (the stables ?, the track ?, the field jumping area ?),
but the good single track is only a few hundred feet from any of these
"horse" areas. If you told me specifically which one, I could give you more
specific directions.

Tim

Old March 10th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"troutboy" wrote in message

"SuperPoo" wrote in message

Hi, it's Mitch right? I have gone up to Fair Hills a couple times while
my daughters were there participating in horse events. Each time I have
taken my bike but I have not had good luck finding decent trails. I have
headed out in several different directions from the horse area-- each
time I just find dirt roads and fields. I suspect the horse area is not
near the better biking areas.

Is the route you show overlaid on the sat image some of the better biking
at FH? If so where do you park to access the trail? Could you mark the
location on your sat. jpg? Thanks.

Steve

Steve,

First, to clear up the name, it's Fair Hill (no s), although I doubt that
will keep you from finding any web sites on Google, etc.

Ok, I am clear on the name now. And you are wrong on the Google thing-- it
does seem to make a difference.

Second, you can purchase a map of the trails (fairly up to date) for $6 at
the office on Tawes Drive within the "park" (I'm sure you can get one by
mail also). It's laminated and somewhat waterproof, so it's pretty
durable (justifying the price). Mitch was right with his 25+ figure
(there are at least double that in single-track trails).

I do have a map, I got it by mail.

[...]

Thanks for the info.

And to specifically answer your question, I'm not sure which area you
refer to as the horse area (the stables ?, the track ?, the field jumping
area ?), but the good single track is only a few hundred feet from any of
these "horse" areas. If you told me specifically which one, I could give
you more specific directions.

I road off from near the dressage ring and the x-country course and like I
said I found nothing good. Nothing like what was in Mitch's pictures--
mostly stuff that just stopped, looped a field or was torn up by horses.

Steve

Tim

Old March 10th 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I will send you an e-mail when I plan on heading up there. I am
recouping from an illness and knee surgery. I plan on taking my road bike
out this weekend-- it will be my first time on bike in about three months.
If all goes well I will get the mountain bike out in a few weeks. Fair Hill
(no s I am told looks like a good place to get back into the swing of
things.

Steve

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old March 10th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

SuperPoo wrote:

I road off from near the dressage ring and the x-country course and like I
said I found nothing good. Nothing like what was in Mitch's pictures--
mostly stuff that just stopped, looped a field or was torn up by horses.

Steve

We'll get you covered. Keep in mind I ALWAYS get lost there.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

RR: Lost in Fair Hills Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 0 November 27th 05 11:20 PM
Climbing hills on a fixie [email protected] Techniques 24 December 14th 04 06:02 PM
Measuring grade for hills Beverly General 24 November 22nd 04 02:37 PM
On the road Badger_South General 59 September 29th 04 02:45 AM
Cycling Fair in Paris - A Disappointment Elisa Francesca Roselli General 17 October 3rd 03 03:08 PM