The thinking behind Bruce's prop

Old November 26th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

Default The thinking behind Bruce's prop

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

Some people don't want that. They want the law to make everyone act
like them. It's what freedom is all about. After all, freedom isn't
free.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

That's right, our freedoms came with a price. Take for instance like Sharia
Law, could be applied to your statement. I wouldn't want to have to fall in
line with that either. I'm not going to change my core beliefs for someone
elses, nor should I. Do you have any idea how many religons there are in the
world at last count?

Old November 26th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
I think it should be illegal to have a female bike racer fetish.

Anybody here know how we can get that on the ballot? People like Bruce
are sick! Sick! They belong in jail.

Idiot, I don't have any of that stuff. Very little. I have a few autographed
photos, and one jersey signed. That's it. I have a few books. The digital
resources are a combinaton of race results, and photos, which the photos are
the collective effort of well known and respected photo journalists from
around the world.

Get your facts straight, but maybe they should lock up people like you to
break their addiction to usenet. 50,000 posts must be an all time usenet
record!

Are you telling me San Diego is that boring?

Old November 26th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:21:38 -0800, "Robert"
wrote:

However, we are still a
democracy and the people have spoken. You can have as many hummers or SUV's
or McMansions as you want, but no one is entitled to more then their fair
share of democracy. The people have collectively spoken on this issue, and
they said no!

Dumbass (and I mean it): we have a Bill of Rights to prevent the
majority from using democracy in sick ways. I hope Prop 8 is
overturned on constitutionality.

I'm afraid it will not be. On the basis of what--the 14th Amendment?
It would be a precedent, of course. This is a court that has had kinda
funny views of the first, second, fourth, and eighth amendments.
But what the hell do I know? A lot of this stuff is regulated at the
state level, and then they'll hang on the 10th amendment.
Of course, that's the tack they took with Jim Crow, right?

Steve (by no means a constitutional scholar)

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old November 26th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

In article ,

wrote:

However, we are still a
democracy and the people have spoken. You can have as many hummers or SUV's
or McMansions as you want, but no one is entitled to more then their fair
share of democracy. The people have collectively spoken on this issue, and
they said no!

Dumbass (and I mean it): *we have a Bill of Rights to prevent the
majority from using democracy in sick ways. I hope Prop 8 is
overturned on constitutionality.

* *Exactly. How the hell can one think it's a reasonable thing to allow a majority
vote on the status of a minority? That's a ridiculous premise.

Right on, brothers! Prop 8 is an odious violation of the Golden
Rule.
-Paul
Old November 26th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Robert wrote:
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:28:10 -0800 (PST), ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:

On Nov 25, 12:15 pm, "Robert" wrote:
millions of
people don't support gay marriage
There is an important distinction to be made between not supporting
something, and making it illegal, don't you think?

http://www.atheist-community.org/ima...191215Q9eQ.jpg

Dumbass and I mean it:

I'm pro choice, so you can't bundle me up with that crowd, but you should
remember that at least half or more then half of all Americans are against
all these issues, at least according to the last chung charts I saw from the
last election cycle. That means that hundreds of millions of people don't
side with the free thinkers of whatever you want to call them.

There are lots of things I don't like in this world, nor should I have to be
forced to like them. I can give you a whole list of things I don't like.
Prop 8 is just one issue.

B-

Ya. I'm sure if you polled registered voters in 1860 only white men
should vote would have won in a landslide.
Lots of things are justified without being justifiable.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old November 26th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:15:37 -0800, "Robert"
wrote:

80 percent of your fellow black
Americans are against gay marriage, so does
that mean they are out of touch,
or behind the times?

On this issue, yes. It's pretty clear.
Old November 26th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:23:39 -0800, "Robert"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:56:42 -0800 (PST), Kurgan Gringioni
wrote:

This sort of civil rights
issue will change, just like the steps we've made from the 60's, where
voting activists were lynched in the South to where we are today.
Someday all the old bigots die off and the freer thinking young people
take over.

Yeah, in the US at least. There's some backsliding in some parts of
the world.

Lots of backsliding right here in the USA!

For sure, for sure, without a doubt. But overall progress.
Old November 26th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:10:13 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
wrote:

Ya. I'm sure if you polled registered voters in 1860 only white men
should vote would have won in a landslide.
Lots of things are justified without being justifiable.

I'll be even if you included their wives and mothers and daughters, it
still would have won. Which doesn't make it right.
Old November 26th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

wrote:

80 percent of your fellow black
Americans are against gay marriage, so does
that mean they are out of touch,
or behind the times?

On this issue, yes. It's pretty clear.

Since we are talking about millions of people here, your opinion that it's
clear they are out of touch doesn't make much sense because its painting
with a hugely broad brush. In this crowd of millions are extremely well
educated folks, probably even some university professors, not the foot
stomping rollers you might think from the church down the street. While you
can question the uneducated reasoning of some of your kinsman, many very
bright people have looked at this issue very seriously, and still have come
to the conclusion that prop 8 was in the best interest of society.

That's very clear. You simple can't lump them altogether, they are too
diverse. Heck, I hope you are not also forgetting that millions of people
who support prop 8 have nothing to do with Christian fundamentalism, but
just believe soundly in the concept of marriage as its always been.

However, I told you that civil unions would still be legal.

Old November 26th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

wrote:

80 percent of your fellow black
Americans are against gay marriage, so does
that mean they are out of touch,
or behind the times?

On this issue, yes. It's pretty clear.

This is pretty clear to me, and I agree with the author here, who ironically
happens to be gay, but can see clearly the effects that this will have on
society.

http://www.freerepublic.com:80/focus.../2022069/posts