Canadian Tire bike: Super Cycle Gravity

Old March 21st 04, 04:01 PM
DDB

Default Canadian Tire bike: Super Cycle Gravity

this bike would be great

as a boat anchor..............................

"cam" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Candian Tire stores are offering SuperCycle Gravity bikes, which have
features such as front disc brake and full suspension at the attractive
price of Cnd $300. Has anyone tried these bikes? Is it a durable bike?
Are there any other (better known) bikes with these features in this
price range?

Here is the link (hope it works):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1079771735801

I am also wondering if one can get a bike with dual disc brakes and full
suspension in this price range. Would someone be able to recommend an
online store or forum for buying discounted or second hand mountain
bikes in Canada?

Cam

Old March 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Micheal Artindale

"cam" wrote in message ...
Thank you Ryan for your informative answer. I am new to performance bikes,

and
honestly some of the prices make me wonder how a bike can be so expensive.

My
current bike is a hardtail from Wallmart, so Canadian Tire will be an

upgrade for
me. I drive mostly on paved road, sometimes up and down the hills, and a

few days
per year in the mountains.

I had a bike from Walmart. The frame snapped while riding on the sidewalk.
Walmart is Crap, no matter what you get from them.

Canadian tire bikes are made by Raleigh (sp?). some parts are of a lower
grade, but still better than a simular priced bike from Walmart. The bikes
from Canadian Tire also is made here in Canada, unlike the Walmart crap.

Here is my problem: My wallmart bike (Cnd $170 + tax) is falling apart. I

have to
tighten up or adjust something often. I know this is partly because of the

quality
of the bike. But I weight around 220 lb, so the bike is under pressure. As

an
example, if I put too much air in the tires, I have to change a spoke or

two every
week. So I reduce the air pressure, which causes the tire to act like a

shock
absorber and save the spokes. However, then pedaling becomes harder. I am

thinking
maybe having a full suspension bike will save me from this trouble. But

then I don't
want to be forced to change a busted (and expensive) rear shock absorber

instead of
spokes.

Ok, uhm, first.
You are not heavy enough to break spokes, so your bike is Crap. My
bike that i bought for $150 from Canadian tire has never had major surgery
needed, ie spokes, or frame related stuff. Mountain bikes should have
between 40-60psi, i have seen one as high as 80. I ride mine at 50psi.

Second
With the way i ride, im surprised this bike i have has lasted, i
live in North Bay ON, near Sudbury. We have lots of ROCK. I ride hard, and i
have taken spills wirth my bike --- i even launched it off a dock

What should I look for in a hardtail bike that makes the spokes less prone

breaking?

1) Not From walmart, Zellers, or Canadian tire are better than them, if you
want to stay cheap.

2) front suspension forks, smoothe ride, and u look the part.

3) not from walmart

My interest in disc brakes is because I am tired of adjusting the brakes

on my bike
every few weeks, and I've heard that disc brakes are more powerful than

normal
brakes.

Would it be more cost effective if I buy parts separately and assemble

them myself?
Constantly fixing my own bike has made me a good bike mechanic :-)

Uhm, .... my friend has a bike worth $5000 retail. he works at a bikeshop,
so it didnt cost him that much. i can keep up with him on my POS Canadian
tire Crap bike. its not the bike, its the rider, unless u have a bike from
walmart.

Micheal

Old March 21st 04, 10:33 PM
Splat Graphics

i used to live in Regina. great going to school their *balfour* get
yourself to western cycle and have the floks there explain what different
components are worth and what makes a good FS Bike. Other then that I can't
remember what there are for bike out there.
What hills are you riding up and down? Qupell vally?.

Later
--
Cory Sarafinchan
Splat Graphics

"cam" wrote in message ...
I live in Regina. I used to have a few god bikes in the past, all bought

cheap at pawn shops and such. Then when I saw one of my own stolen bikes
there, I decided to either buy new bikes, or to buy direct from the authors,
so as not to encourage theft.

I am on a budget, but don't want something that breaks every once in a

while.

Cam

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444325 0630&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302209441&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302432155&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=2534374302741447&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253 4374302741447&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348 027&bmUID=1079771
I am also wondering if one can get a bike with dual disc brakes and

full
suspension in this price range. Would someone be able to recommend an
online store or forum for buying discounted or second hand mountain
bikes in Canada?

Cam

I bought a bike from them about 4 yrs ago. its a 21 spd front

susspension
ccm. Paid $150 for it. it has over 8000km on it. Replaced cables, tubes,
front derailer, both tires, grips, shifters, and soon replacing brakes.

the old saying -- you get what you pay for.

If all you can afford is $300, and this is the best that you can find

for
what u want, then go for it.

What part of Canada do you live in?

You may want to ask them when it will be going on sale next.... you may

save
even more $$$

Micheal

Old March 22nd 04, 03:10 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article , cam wrote:

Thank you Ryan for your informative answer. I am new to performance bikes,
and
honestly some of the prices make me wonder how a bike can be so expensive. My
current bike is a hardtail from Wallmart, so Canadian Tire will be an upgrade
for
me. I drive mostly on paved road, sometimes up and down the hills, and a few
days
per year in the mountains.

Here is my problem: My wallmart bike (Cnd $170 + tax) is falling apart. I
have to
tighten up or adjust something often. I know this is partly because of the
quality
of the bike. But I weight around 220 lb, so the bike is under pressure. As an
example, if I put too much air in the tires, I have to change a spoke or two
every

220 pounds is not a problem for a decent bicycle. Whatever problem
you're having with "too much air in the tires" (the heavier you are, the
more pressure you should run) and spoke breakage was caused not by the
air pressure, but by the wheel never being built properly. The reason
you keep having to change spokes is because once a few have been driven
to failure, they overstress the rest, and those spokes will eventually
fail whether you replace the others or not. Likely, the wheel was never
built with enough spoke tension.

What should I look for in a hardtail bike that makes the spokes less prone to
breaking?

Good wheels! In your case, it would be worthwhile to discuss your riding
and your problems with a bike shop. They will be able to point you at
the right kind of bike (probably a "hybrid" or "comfort" bike, maybe one
with mountain-bike style (26") wheels), and will back up that bike with
useful after-sales service.

My interest in disc brakes is because I am tired of adjusting the brakes on
my bike
every few weeks, and I've heard that disc brakes are more powerful than
normal
brakes.

For your needs, any typical brake will be more than adequate. If you
were riding in muddy conditions or doing freeride work, I might advise
looking into discs. If you think adjusting V-brakes is bad, wait until
you discover the wonderful world of hydraulic bleeding. As for
cable-operated discs, they might reduce the number of adjustments
needed, but not by enough to make that choice worth the trouble.

Would it be more cost effective if I buy parts separately and assemble them
myself?
Constantly fixing my own bike has made me a good bike mechanic :-)

Cam

Well, if you enjoy it, I'd encourage you. I'm an invertate fixer myself,
though given the current state of my wheels, maybe not the best to give
advice on the subject. I think it's useful to know. But truing up wheels
well is not a trivial process. I'd recommend getting yourself a good
working bike first, then as a learning opportunity take apart and
rebuild the Wal-Mart wheels.

If you are looking for a good bike repair manual, Lennard Zinn's "Zinn
and the art of bicycle maintenance" is pretty good. There's two, one for
road bikes, one for mountain bikes. The mountain bike one will work fine
for you. It's not perfect, but is well-aimed at novice repairers.

Given that your current bike is "falling apart", I would recommend
starting over from scratch if you can afford to. A new, low-end bike
from a local shop will suit your needs very well. If you were really
confident with tinkering, I'd tell you to fix what was wrong on your
bike, or better yet, to scavenge a good bike from the garbage (I ride to
work on one $10 garage-sale bike, my father uses another; they're very
good, reliable machines, just 20 years too old).

Since you're in Canada, I'll make a specific recommendation from the
Norco line:

http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/plateau.htm

The Norco Plateau is the bottom of their "comfort" line. 26" wheels
(very strong), low end but durable componentry, and a suspension
seatpost, which may reduce the shocks to you and the wheels somewhat.
$400 MSRP.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article , cam wrote:

Hi all,

Candian Tire stores are offering SuperCycle Gravity bikes, which have
features such as front disc brake and full suspension at the attractive
price of Cnd $300. Has anyone tried these bikes? Is it a durable bike?
Are there any other (better known) bikes with these features in this
price range?

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old March 22nd 04, 07:57 AM
cam

My apartment is right next to Balfour! Western Cycle closed down a while ago. There is Outtabound on Albert St. and Dutch Cycle on Angus St. I will pay them a visit.

Yes, I go to Qu'apple valley, but also around Regina Beach. They are deepening the Wascana lake near downtown Regina, and are using all that dirt to create small hills. They are also making the hill opposite the University of Regina bigger.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444325 0630&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302209441&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302432155&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=2534374302741447&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253 4374302741447&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348 027&bmUID=107 I

Old March 22nd 04, 08:11 AM
cam

220 pounds is not a problem for a decent bicycle. Whatever problem
you're having with "too much air in the tires" (the heavier you are, the
more pressure you should run) and spoke breakage was caused not by the
air pressure, but by the wheel never being built properly. The reason
you keep having to change spokes is because once a few have been driven
to failure, they overstress the rest, and those spokes will eventually
fail whether you replace the others or not. Likely, the wheel was never
built with enough spoke tension.

Yes, on closer inspection I can see quite a few spokes bent. Incidentally it is
always the sraight spokes that break, probably because as you say, they are under
stress because the bent ones don't take their share of work.

Good wheels! In your case, it would be worthwhile to discuss your riding
and your problems with a bike shop. They will be able to point you at
the right kind of bike (probably a "hybrid" or "comfort" bike, maybe one
with mountain-bike style (26") wheels), and will back up that bike with
useful after-sales service.

I will pay them a visit, as I am tired of fixing my bike. Even the handle bar is
loose. It usually points about 10-15 degrees off the direction of the wheels. Looks
funny, but it isn't funny when riding the bike.

For your needs, any typical brake will be more than adequate. If you
were riding in muddy conditions or doing freeride work, I might advise
looking into discs. If you think adjusting V-brakes is bad, wait until
you discover the wonderful world of hydraulic bleeding. As for
cable-operated discs, they might reduce the number of adjustments
needed, but not by enough to make that choice worth the trouble.

I am studying computers, and there you just have to wait a few months to have
something you couldn't afford a before. I have been hoping that the price of disc
brakes will fall fast, but it isn't happening as fast as I would like :-)

[...]

Durability is good! I will visit a few bike shops and see what comes up. Thanks for
all the help!!!