Vote for the most Boring Olympic event to watch?

Old August 27th 04, 11:36 PM
Benjamin Weiner

h squared wrote:
Roland2k wrote:

is subjective. Hence, one who says "this sport is boring" really means
"I find this sport boring."
As an aside, anyone who uses the word
"hence" in a sentence is likely pretty freakin' boring (and/or
exceedingly pompous).

no way, to me it just means that one took a lot of math classes! (gotta
admit i think in my own pompous head with that word.)

I thought taking a lot of math classes was a prerequisite for
posting to rbr. Wish I'd known it wasn't, I could have skipped
a few!

Okay, let's talk about the most EXCITING Olympic event to watch.
I vote for the hammer throw. That is some out-of-control ****.
You just know someone's gonna get hurt eventually. It is the
only Olympic event so far that makes me want to yell
"Crap! Look out! DUCK!" and duck even while watching TV.

Other than watching triathletes corner on bikes, that is.
Old August 27th 04, 11:56 PM
keydates

Women's triathlon was fairly interesting to watch. NBC actually did
decent editing job for a relatively low interest sport.

Is rhythmic gymnastics on NBC? I don't have cable, and would b
interested in actually finding out what this much-maligned "sport
involves

--
keydates

Old August 28th 04, 04:02 AM
Roland2k

h squared wrote in message ...
Roland2k wrote:

I'm going to pick a nit here. I think the above two sentences are the
same. "This sport is boring" can never be applied objectively. Boring
is subjective. Hence, one who says "this sport is boring" really means
"I find this sport boring."

yes, i see what you're saying. what's important to me is that people
actually realize that the "i" part of the sentence is implied in the
"this sport is boring". i know i'm guilty of forgetting that now and
then. (aside- if we're not careful here a philosophy student will start contributing.)

As an aside, anyone who uses the word
"hence" in a sentence is likely pretty freakin' boring (and/or
exceedingly pompous).

no way, to me it just means that one took a lot of math classes! (gotta
admit i think in my own pompous head with that word.)

in spite of all my argumentative posts, i still think your instructions
to learn something about the sport of choice was a good idea and has
more substance than all my followups. (wanted to make sure that bit was
clear

heather

It was an open exchange of ideas. That's all I ever want in a discussion. Thank you.

Roland
Old August 28th 04, 04:10 AM
h squared

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

I thought taking a lot of math classes was a prerequisite for
posting to rbr. Wish I'd known it wasn't, I could have skipped
a few!

hey, i believe i've used more math on rbr than in any other part of my
life since college. bet you can't claim that, ben.

Okay, let's talk about the most EXCITING Olympic event to watch.
I vote for the hammer throw. That is some out-of-control ****.
You just know someone's gonna get hurt eventually. It is the
only Olympic event so far that makes me want to yell
"Crap! Look out! DUCK!" and duck even while watching TV.

Other than watching triathletes corner on bikes, that is.

i haven't seen any hammer throwing i think i have burnout on the olympics.

i did like watching the modern pentathlon earlier. i'm not used to
seeing horses buck their riders off during jumping events. also the
whole format reminded me of henry's infamous donut rides. now that would
be a cool olympic event.
heather
Old August 28th 04, 05:08 PM
warren

Team Sprint.

-WG
Old August 28th 04, 05:14 PM
Jack Hollis

On 27 Aug 2004 04:40:24 -0700, (David Covey)
wrote:

Who knows what politics inside the IOC led to the inclusion of
baseball.

Want to guess who was behind that one? :-) :-)

David

Cuba?
Old August 30th 04, 11:59 PM
Isidor Gunsberg

(Davide Tosi) wrote in message ...
"Sam" wrote:

Indoor air rifle.

fencing is pretty cool to me
wrote in message
I'll vote for Fencing (all varieties thereof)

I'll tab up the responses and post the results after the Folies are over

No way, both fencing and indoor shooting are very technical and are very
interisting once you get to understand the way it works.

The most boring stuff is whatever middle distance running event sees 3
Kenyans take the lead after a few meters and keeping it until the end.
That's a purely anthropometric event, with no technique of any kind
involved. Those guys just have better genetic and that's it. It's like
giving gold medals for the shortest or tallest man in the world.

What a foolish statement! The East African distance runners are the
best, simply because they train the hardest. They have certain
cultural advantages (for instance, they live on high plains, and
because of the scarcity of public transportation, they grow up in the
habit of running many miles to school).
Moreover, success breeds success, and being a Top Distance runner is
one of the best ways to achieve socio-economical success, and win the
esteem of one's countrymen. In the recent past, a Portuguese and a
Mexican have held the record for the 10 K race.

In any event, "the Kenyans" lost the 5 K race in the Olympics,
with an Ethiopian runner finishing just 2nd to el-Gharrouj, only by
few inches.
Old September 1st 04, 08:41 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

Okay, let's talk about the most EXCITING Olympic event to watch.
I vote for the hammer throw.

I stumbled on some commentator on MSNBC on the down time and he said
that the lack of credible runs on records made everything but the
swimming and track relay races less dramatic. And we know how the
expected relay records came out.

On the non-record/timed events, he felt drugs took the oomph out of
the Olympics by tarnishing a lot of the potential human interest
stories - like Marion Jones' comeback or the Greek 200 meter guy being
out. And he seemed to be someone that liked the Olympics.

It's entirely possible that better or more-active drug testing
is partly responsible for the lack of credible runs on records -
especially in track and field, where the last few years have not
seen many new records advanced. This is not just my crackpot
theory, there have been several articles on the subject, including
one in the NY Times a week or two ago.

So that commentator may be talking out of his ass, or he may have
his head in the sand, or both. Since he was a talking head on
MSNBC ...

Anyway, I don't find new records necessary for excitement; like
somebody else said, it is interesting to watch people who are
very skilled at what they do, even when you only see javelin
throwing or sculls or badminton once every four years. Naturally
the whole thing is tainted by nationalism and the miasma that is
the IOC, but the fiascos add to the excitement - where would
politics be without Watergates?

I just want to say that I feel a lot better about industrial park
crits now. I won't make fun of them for the rest of the year and maybe
the next.

Hey, that is where the excitement is now, because that's where
all the good dope is now.