Vote for the most Boring Olympic event to watch?

Old August 21st 04, 04:31 PM
Ken Papai

"Davide Tosi" wrote in message
"Ken Papai" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
news
Indoor air rifle.

fencing is pretty cool to me

Shot put -- the more aggro and fatter you are I guess the better.

Not really. Look out for pictures of Wednesday's bronze medalist, Nadine
Kleinert:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
She's so fat free that she uses a free navel outfit.

WHAT A Joke! If you're into that than so be it.

? goes for the Atlanta '96 champion, Astrid Kumbernuss.
Nowadays the specialty is dominated by very tall and large shouldered
athletes.

What a joke.

The real jokes are people who talk out of their ass not knowing the matter
they pretend to deal with.

**** off David -- it's an OPINION, Mr. know-it-all Tosi.

Old August 21st 04, 05:17 PM
brian roth

"Sierraman" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
I'll vote for Fencing (all varieties thereof)

I'll tab up the responses and post the results after the Folies are over

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

Lawn Bowling, just joking.

------------------------------

List of ten oddest from previous years.

1 Tug of war
1900-1920

2 Motor boating
1908

3 Cricket
1900

4 Club swinging
1904, 1932

5 Solo synchronised swimming
1992

6 Tumbling
1932

7 Rope climb
1896, 1904, 1906, 1924, 1932

8 Live pigeon shooting
1900

9 Pistol duelling
1906

10 Long jump for horses
19

There used to be a turn-of-the-century event in the pool called
'plunge-for-distance' where you'd presumably dive in the pool and
'coast' as far as possible
Old August 21st 04, 05:52 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:40:43 +0200, Kyle Legate wrote:
he complained throughout the first half of the race that the pace was
disappointingly slow for an Olympic race.

I think it was the BBC commentator who speculated that that was the
first two Ethiopians holding back to allow Gebreselassie to keep
following the pace, trying to get a Ethiopian 1-2-3. It fell through
when the Kenyan proved to be faster than Big G.
Old August 21st 04, 05:56 PM
Sam

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
Davide Tosi wrote:
That's a purely anthropometric event, with no technique of any kind
involved. Those guys just have better genetic and that's it.

I don't believe that. It's track, there has to be drugs involved.

Bob Schwartz

Unlike the uber-clean sport of cycling....

Old August 21st 04, 05:57 PM
Sam

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:40:43 +0200, Kyle Legate wrote:
he complained throughout the first half of the race that the pace was
disappointingly slow for an Olympic race.

I think it was the BBC commentator who speculated that that was the
first two Ethiopians holding back to allow Gebreselassie to keep
following the pace, trying to get a Ethiopian 1-2-3. It fell through
when the Kenyan proved to be faster than Big G.

However, no Kenyan finished in front of Geb.

Heads are going to roll in Nairobi.

Old August 21st 04, 05:59 PM
Sam

"h squared" wrote in message

Sonarrat wrote:

Early rounds of anything.. baseball particularly.

-Sonarrat.

i have to agree with this.

i've mostly enjoyed the coverage of everything i've watched so far.

so far i've seen and liked:
badminton
beach volley ball
fencing
diving
gymnastics
whitewater
swimming*
equestrian
walking (lol)
a few track and field events (they haven't shown too many yet)
i missed the track cycling yesterday, arghh.

*what i find boring is when they show the same kind of stuff over and
over, and none of it matters because it's only a heat for a later heat.

yikes.

actually, i think the most boring event to watch was the men's cycling
tt, the way it was presented on t.v. at least. no suspense allowed to
build at all

heather

So heats are not important?

Old August 21st 04, 06:03 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:47:06 -0700, Sierraman wrote:
Club swinging
1904, 1932

Yes, more commonly known as "Indian club swinging". Sounds interesting,
dunnit? Quote from The Encyclopedia of Sports Games and Pastime (1934)
-- "In shape the Indian club resembles a slender long necked bottle with
a nob at the end... The wrist plays an important part in the exercises."
Uh-huh.

http://twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/clubs1.jpg (also see ..2 and ..3).
Old August 21st 04, 06:24 PM
Badger_South

Davide Tosi wrote:
That's a purely anthropometric event, with no technique of any kind
involved. Those guys just have better genetic and that's it.

I don't believe that. It's track, there has to be drugs involved.

Bob Schwartz

Unlike the uber-clean sport of cycling....

I was thinkning about that as I was watching the 'race-walking'. Amazing
how much coverage that got, BTW. But can you imagine a doping scandal in
'walking', fercrissakes? I mean, yeah, but it sounds so ridiculous.

-B