Do you ever get lazy?

Old December 22nd 04, 12:05 AM
TBGibb

In article ,
"B.B." u writes:

I got really, really lazy. I think it was because I was sick for a
while, then the weather was terrible, then I was just too busy. Today's
a perfect day to go out, I have nothing else to do, need the exercise,
and I still don't feel much like going.
That ever happen to anyone else here? What do you do to get yourself
remotivated?

I think about my coronary arteries clogging up and away I go.

Tom Gibb
Old December 22nd 04, 12:47 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
That ever happen to anyone else here? What do you do to get yourself
remotivated?

Yes.

My rule of thumb is that unless I know that I have an infection; I just suck it
up and go. If I have a cold, the flu, or anything else I do not go - having
messed myself up royally each of the three times in my life that I violated that
rule.

Seems like 98% of the time I feel much better within the first 20 minutes.

The few times I feel worse, I immediately turn around, go home, and open up a
good book. It usually means I'm coming down with something.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 22nd 04, 12:49 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Any other rbt'ers in the same situation? How do you maintain
enthusiasm over bikes when you're stuck with them nearly 24/7?

Is it even possible? Long time ago I bought a HobieCat from a guy who had quit
his job as an electronics engineer to start a Hobie dealership with his wife.

I said to him: "Gee, this must be great - doing what you love so much all the
time."

His reply: "Nope. Used to be my hobby, now it's my job."
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I just suck it
up and go.

That was something of a mis-statement.

The essential point is that if you do this enough times, no 'sucking it up' is
required - deep inside, from experience, you know and believe the 98% part and
it's not so hard to just sort of put your decision-making apparatus in neutral,
shuffle down to the bike, get on, and ride off...
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 22nd 04, 01:21 AM

maybe lazy isn't the word.

a while back i woke up one morning and didn't feel like riding. in the
past i would have forced myself to go anyway.

it's been 4 months since i've ridden a good hard ride. every ride has
been to the corner store or downtown (not much effort since it's all
pavement)...and ya know what? i don't miss it.

i value my love for cycling more than cycling itself....and forcing
myself to do something, as if it were my JOB, is a great way for me to
lose interest.

but, i did recently take up R/C cars and, MAN, is it fun! the
technical aspects of this hobby are equal to those of cycling.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:10 AM

There's no motivational substitute for selling the car and buying a
really gorgeous bike with the proceeds.
Regards,

Suzy (car free since 1996)

Old December 22nd 04, 02:17 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dave Thompson" wrote in message
B.B. wrote:
I got really, really lazy. I think it was because I was sick for a
while, then the weather was terrible, then I was just too busy.
Today's a perfect day to go out, I have nothing else to do, need the
exercise, and I still don't feel much like going.
That ever happen to anyone else here? What do you do to get
yourself remotivated?

Just get on the bike and go for a ride. The motivation will come.

There's a science fiction book I recently re-read, which is ostensibly about
other things, but is mostly about religion, even though the religion is of
this fictional planet. Anyway, in it, the main character realizes something
like, "first you commit yourself -- then faith comes". I think there's a
quote some where in Deuteronomy, I'll have to look it up, but at least an
earthly religion, about how the people first do the word of God, and then
they believe.

I concur with both of these, plus BB -- first you ride your bike, then your
faith will be restored. Don't wait for faith first. How about setting your
bike clothes out the night before, so that when you wake up, the first thing
you do is put them on? Then you have no choice but to ride.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old December 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
Matt O'Toole

Claire Petersky wrote:

I concur with both of these, plus BB -- first you ride your bike,
then your faith will be restored. Don't wait for faith first. How
about setting your bike clothes out the night before, so that when
you wake up, the first thing you do is put them on? Then you have no
choice but to ride.

Good point. One thing I've noticed -- no matter how unmotivated I feel before
riding, it vanishes within a minute of being on the bike. My whole mood does a
180 degree turnaround.

Matt O.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:52 AM
Mike Latondresse

"Claire Petersky" wrote in
ink.net:

I concur with both of these, plus BB -- first you ride your bike,
then your faith will be restored. Don't wait for faith first. How
about setting your bike clothes out the night before, so that when
you wake up, the first thing you do is put them on? Then you have
no choice but to ride.

I commute in with my son which gives me a 40k ride starting at 6:00 am
so no matter what happens the rest of the day I have at least one ride
under my belt.

Dick Pound says Tyler is a cheater cheater pumpkin eater... Ronde Chimp Racing 44 October 4th 04 06:25 PM
RR: Get away from me you lazy eyed freak Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 1 December 2nd 03 01:47 PM
Sick, Lame and Lazy GILD Unicycling 9 September 10th 03 09:42 AM
Mountain Bikers Are Too Lazy to WALK! Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 1 August 9th 03 03:08 PM