MTB around Boston, MA

Old March 1st 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bergzot

Default MTB around Boston, MA

Hi,

13th march I'm going for a business trip to Boston, MA. On saturday I have a
free day and I want to make a MTB-trip.

Can you please suggest a nice trip (I have intermediate MTB skills). Is a
GPS track available? Where can I rent a bike? How to get there (by train,
car, ...) from downtown Boston?

Many thanks,

bergzot at g m a i l .c o m

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

Old March 1st 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

Will you have access to a vehicle? There is some stellar riding in
Exeter, NH, which is about an hour (at the speed limit, though you'd
be the only car on a MA highway going 65) north of Boston. There's a
train Boston to Exeter as well, though you'd have to plan it in
advance to get a bike onto the train. Look up "Fort Rock" and "Exeter
woods". There is some stuff closer, but it's not as good. IMO, Fort
Rock is worth the 1 hour drive threefold. Maps of the trails can be
found online (google fort rock Exeter), and there is a bigger, better
copy available from Exeter town hall for something like $2. If you
decide to go the NH route, let me know via email - I may have an idea
that could help you out on a bike. I might even be able to sneak out
and join you, though I can't promise that just yet.

I believe you can still rent bikes from Back Bay Cycles, which is in
the city, but you'd have to call them to be sure. 617.247

We're currently under a severe winter weather alert that's supposed to
dump a bunch of snow on us. If this actually happens (never trust New
England weather) and doesn't melt out before you get out this way, you
may want to consider Cape Cod. Again, you'd be under an hour from
Boston, and it'd be worth the car time to step up the riding. It
tends not to snow on the Cape for whatever reason, so if we've got 6"
left on the ground in NH the cape should be dry. There's some decent
& popular riding down on the cape on RT-151 just off RT-28 (literally
at the exit) in Bourne and the weather's the best around this time of
year.

There is some riding right in the city, but it's way tame. Good place
to spin out on most trails, or take your kids/grammy/road bike, but
not much fun overall. I can't recall the names precisely, but could
find it for you if you really want to go that route. If you don't
want to go as far as the two places I mentioned above, you may wish to
check out Lynn Woods in Lynn MA. That's about a 20 minute drive north
of the city or you can take the train to Lynn Station and ride the 2
miles to the reservation.

It's farther, but I'd be doing you an injustice not to mention Bear
Brook state park in NH as well. Awesome riding, but probably farther
(1.5hrs) and harder to get to than what you're looking for. I still
had to mention it.

I can't help you with the GPS thing, I usually bring a map or just
ride till I'm lost and found again.

I'm rambling. Let me know more about what you want and I'll try to
narrow it down.

Dan

Old March 1st 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Oh, yeah, www.nemba.org is a great reference as well. How could I
forget? *headslap*

Old March 1st 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
D T W .../\\...

Lynn Woods is closed to MTB from Jan 1st to April 15th

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Old March 2nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 1, 5:22 pm, "D T W .../\\..." wrote:
Lynn Woods is closed to MTB from Jan 1st to April 15th

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

wrote in message

oups.com...
On Mar 1, 2:39 pm, "bergzot" wrote:

Hi,

you may wish to check out Lynn Woods in Lynn MA. That's about a 20 minute
drive north
of the city or you can take the train to Lynn Station and ride the 2
miles to the reservation.

Good looks, and my bad for not being up on that. I have not ridden
(MTB) in MA since I moved to NH, and don't really pay that much
attention to these things in MA anymore. I previously thought
prettymuch everything in New England was closed to MTB from christmas-
ish times to April, but it seems plenty of people are still riding the
local (NH) trails in the snow, as well as riding the Cape/Bourne
trails.

Old March 2nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bruno

On Mar 2, 8:22 am, " wrote:
On Mar 1, 5:22 pm, "D T W .../\\..." wrote:

Lynn Woods is closed to MTB from Jan 1st to April 15th

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

wrote in message

roups.com...
On Mar 1, 2:39 pm, "bergzot" wrote:

Hi,

you may wish to check out Lynn Woods in Lynn MA. That's about a 20 minute
drive north
of the city or you can take the train to Lynn Station and ride the 2
miles to the reservation.

Good looks, and my bad for not being up on that. I have not ridden
(MTB) in MA since I moved to NH, and don't really pay that much
attention to these things in MA anymore. I previously thought
prettymuch everything in New England was closed to MTB from christmas-
ish times to April, but it seems plenty of people are still riding the
local (NH) trails in the snow, as well as riding the Cape/Bourne
trails.- Hide quoted text -

middlesex fells. blue hills.

Old March 5th 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bergzot

Hi,

on the net I found Harold Parker State Forest, with map of trails.

Is this a nice place to ride for one day?

bergzot at g m a i l dot c o m

Boston Unicycling zia Unicycling 3 July 25th 12 08:08 PM
Going to Boston 12/22-29 skilewis74 Unicycling 18 January 6th 09 04:45 PM
Unicycle in Boston JLthemanthelegend Unicycling 3 January 22nd 07 01:53 AM
LBS in Boston, MA Leon Marketplace 8 September 1st 04 09:23 AM
Rentals in Boston? Arvind Saraf Rides 3 August 31st 04 03:04 AM