Cyclist accident insurance

Old July 12th 05, 04:32 AM
sss

Default Cyclist accident insurance

I guess this question may have been asked many times but here goes once
again. Does anyone have any recommendations on what is the best accident
insurance to get for cyclists.

I have looked at the bicycle Victoria web site and that has an option but, I
am now struggling to find any other options. What I'm looking to insure is
me against an accident, me hitting someone and my bike against theft or
damage. The bicycle insurance by bike Vic seems ok but I remember hearing
someone say that it was limited and they got another supa-dupa version.
Obviously I can't remember who told me that as I would ask them.

Anyway any information would be gratefully appreciated.

------
John.

Old July 12th 05, 04:50 AM
MikeyOz

sss Wrote:
I guess this question may have been asked many times but here goes onc
again. Does anyone have any recommendations on what is the bes
acciden
insurance to get for cyclists

I have looked at the bicycle Victoria web site and that has an optio
but,
am now struggling to find any other options. What I'm looking t
insure i
me against an accident, me hitting someone and my bike against theft o
damage. The bicycle insurance by bike Vic seems ok but I remembe
hearin
someone say that it was limited and they got another supa-dupa version
Obviously I can't remember who told me that as I would ask them

Anyway any information would be gratefully appreciated

-----
John.

not sure of your personal situation, however we have house an
contents and I was able to pay a little extra up front and basically m
bike is covered against anything at all, theft, damage, me causin
damage, someone causing damage to it, etc... if the bicycle victori
insurance is like most of sporting bodies I have been insured throug
it is hardly worth the bother, maybe because this is an optional one
might be a little better

--
MikeyO

Old July 12th 05, 04:53 AM
Carl Brewer

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:32:40 +1000, "sss" news.iprimus.com.au wrote:

I guess this question may have been asked many times but here goes once
again. Does anyone have any recommendations on what is the best accident
insurance to get for cyclists.

I have looked at the bicycle Victoria web site and that has an option but, I
am now struggling to find any other options. What I'm looking to insure is
me against an accident, me hitting someone and my bike against theft or
damage. The bicycle insurance by bike Vic seems ok but I remember hearing
someone say that it was limited and they got another supa-dupa version.
Obviously I can't remember who told me that as I would ask them.

Anyway any information would be gratefully appreciated.

I have the BV insurance (so does everyone who's a BV member).
It covers accident damage etc, but has a $1000(!) excess.

I also have bike insurance through my contents insurance
(for theft etc) which is brokered by Middleditch, but is actually
CGU I think. It's (or was) touted by BV too.

Old July 12th 05, 05:24 AM
flyingdutch

MikeyOz Wrote:
not sure of your personal situation, however we have house and content
and I was able to pay a little extra up front and basically my bike i
covered against anything at all, theft, damage, me causing damage
someone causing damage to it, etc... if the bicycle victoria insuranc
is like most of sporting bodies I have been insured through it i
hardly worth the bother, maybe because this is an optional one, migh
be a little better.

does that insurance cover you for damage/theft outside of you
premises?
i think it was Yuri Budilov(sp?) who got his stolen recently..

--
flyingdutch

Old July 12th 05, 05:41 AM
MikeyOz

flyingdutch Wrote:
does that insurance cover you for damage/theft outside of you
premises?
i think it was Yuri Budilov(sp?) who got his stolen recently...

Yep, I checked and double checked, after my wife checked and doubl
checked, before she paid the extra amount, I sleep easily at night

--
MikeyO

Old July 12th 05, 06:26 AM
flyingdutch

MikeyOz Wrote:
Yep, I checked and double checked, after my wife checked and doubl
checked, before she paid the extra amount, I sleep easily at night.

think if i ask nicely your wife can pay mine too? :

--
flyingdutch

Old July 12th 05, 06:40 AM
MikeyOz

flyingdutch Wrote:
think if i ask nicely your wife can pay mine too?

i'll get back to you on that one, but don't hold your breath

she only agreed to do it because she dreaded the idea of spendin
another 6 months going to bike shops and looking at "stupid" bikes i
anything happened to it

--
MikeyO

Old July 12th 05, 07:17 AM
flyingdutch

MikeyOz Wrote:
i'll get back to you on that one, but don't hold your breath

she only agreed to do it because she dreaded the idea of spendin
another 6 months going to bike shops and looking at "stupid" bikes i
anything happened to it.

dang! good ploy!!!

hang on, i do that anyway...
the kids walk inbetween me and LBS to ensure we dont 'invest' time.
silly kids...

Come to think about it, how many people in here have 'understanding' o
better yet, cycling partners??? I can think of 2..

--
flyingdutch

Old July 12th 05, 11:53 AM
alison_b

flyingdutch Wrote:
dang! good ploy!!

hang on, i do that anyway..
the kids walk inbetween me and LBS to ensure we dont 'invest' time
silly kids..

Come to think about it, how many people in here have 'understanding' o
better yet, cycling partners??? I can think of 2...

*waves my hand* yep! :-) both understanding and cycling (do I ge
extra points for my good taste?) I do get a bit antsy if he gets mor
riding time than I do though (like, um, lately...)

Oh, and I went with the Middlemitch broker as well; my cover is wit
QBE. Apparently it covers most disasters. This was after leavin
AAMI, who would only cover bikes off the property if they..

(wait for this... it was priceless)..

They would only cover bikes if they weren't being ridden. Honest.
(They do apparently cover jewellry - i wish! - if it is being worn, an
cameras while in the process of taking pictures. Only bikes wer
singled out for not being covered when they were actually being use
like, well, bikes.) This was - as whoever was on the 'phone patientl
explained - in case i 'dropped it or something'.

(Rumours about my inability to stay upright are just rumours...
honest!

Ok, so there was that one time... but AAMI wouldn't have known of it

cheers
al

--
alison_b

Old July 12th 05, 11:58 AM
Peter Signorini

"flyingdutch" wrote:

Come to think about it, how many people in here have 'understanding' or
better yet, cycling partners??? I can think of 2...

Last Saturday afternoon, out on a bike ride with the wife and kids, riding
down a rough gravel road (cough... muddy, guttered farmer's goat track...
grumble) in the dripping rain, to find a bush campsite in 5 deg temperatures
and setup camp for the night. I think that vcounts as an understanding
cyling partner.

Cheers
Peter