Essential Bike Repair Tools

Old February 24th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Essential Bike Repair Tools

I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!
-Kev

Old February 24th 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 23, 7:22 pm, "
wrote:
I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!
-Kev

A Surly Jethro Tule.

JD

Old February 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CowPunk

On Feb 24, 10:22 am, "
wrote:
I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!
-Kev

A bicycle repair book.

Old February 24th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"CowPunk" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 10:22 am, "
wrote:
I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!
-Kev

A bicycle repair book.

Zinn and the Art of MTB Maintenance, and the Park Website are all you need.

Old February 24th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Neil Kinsley

Park tools actually has a kit with most of the tools needed to maintain your
bike. I think it is about 50 bucks....You will also need a stand which are
around 100 bucks....

"small change" wrote in message

"CowPunk" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 24th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mark Hickey

" wrote:

I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!

Your best tool:

www.sheldonbrown.com

There are some pretty nice "combo tool packs" available from several
manufacturers - they contain all the "normal stuff" you'll need to do
most of your own maintenance. You'll save a lot of money over buying
all the tools in a "kit" to start with. Go with something basic to
start with then start adding the tools you'll need to do the "odd
stuff" (like removing your bottom bracket or pressing in a headset).
Then one day you'll realize you've spent more on tools than on your
Stumpjumper (and that'll seem like a good thing if you're enjoying
working on your own bike).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old February 24th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Neil Kinsley wrote:
Park tools actually has a kit with most of the tools needed to maintain your
bike. I think it is about 50 bucks....You will also need a stand which are
around 100 bucks....

Interesting. No stand here and I've been working on my own bikes for 39
years.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Old February 25th 07, 09:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 24, 4:53 am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
- A torque wrench

He said essential, you're kidding, right?

JD never owned a torque wrench

Bike tools Rich General 11 May 23rd 06 01:47 PM
Bike Tools HANDSOME PRINCE General 3 May 21st 06 02:46 AM
New Bike Tools Valley Biker Techniques 0 December 2nd 05 02:54 PM
What tools do I need to work on my bike...? Holden Racing 25 December 28th 04 09:10 AM
Essential safety gear Major Clanger Unicycling 25 July 26th 04 02:16 AM